• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    OK, I had to post about my experiences with the Franklin Arsenal Vibra-Prime.

The last post I saw in this forum that had any discussion of this item was from a few years ago, and it was buried in another post, so because I am so excited, I had to start a new thread!!!

For those of you who don't know what a Vibra-Prime is, it is a small, handheld vibratory device that automates the process of filling primer tubes for progressive presses. Without a way to automate this, it is a very tedious, boring process.

I have read so many negative things about the Vibra-Prime on the Internet, I was loathe to try it, but I finally gave in, and ordered one from Amazon for about $45, shipping included.

There are lots of YT videos about how to modify them and clean up the excess plastic flashing, etc., so I was prepared with my small file set, my Dremmel tool and some 1000 grit sandpaper, and I was ready to do battle!

Turns out there was ZERO flashing to remove, and the primer pathway was as smooth as a baby's bottom. I don't know if they have improved the manufacturing process or what, but I honestly could not find any location for smoothing or flash removal. I know they discontinued them for a while, and then re-released them again, so maybe the people who had problems have the older versions.

So I decided, what the heck, and just went for it!

I got 500 SPP CCI primers loaded in probably 5 minutes or less. It was CRAZY!!!

The key to the loading things smoothly is to only let one column deep of primers approach the access point. Don't let them bunch up. Watch the YT videos, you will see the guys that know what they are doing right away vs. the guys that don't. Once you see how it is supposed to work, it is pretty easy to mimic the process.

I had ZERO issues. None. 500 CCI primers. Done.

Now maybe I got lucky (one could only hope!), but this is a huge time saver and it makes loading the primer tubes almost fun!

I see from the older posts that @BE Mike, Indy-Mike and @Gluemanz28 are fans as well.

This is the greatest invention since airplanes and bagels!!! :):

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    They are great. Well worth the money. Been using one since they reintroduced them 2 or 3 years ago. Bought a backup when Midway had them on sale for $20 IIRC.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I need to find/build a vibrator for the Lee Pro-1000 feeder. They have a tendency to not want to feed so people started gluing pager vibrator motors to the bottom of the ramp. push a button every couple throws and it makes sure the primers keep feeding. otherwise you need to stop every 10 rounds or so and tap the primer tray until they un-bunch and drop into the ramp.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have picked one up at Cabelas and put it back several times. Maybe it's time to buy. Like you heard negative feedback on them so was reluctant to buy.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have picked one up at Cabelas and put it back several times. Maybe it's time to buy. Like you heard negative feedback on them so was reluctant to buy.

Yeah, I have been putting it off forever, and just like you, have almost bought one several times. Be sure to watch some YT videos from guys that have got it to work well for them. It is actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Just let a row that is one primer deep flow into the channel. Don't let them bunch up and then keep shaking it to get them to load. If you do it right, they just flow like a river into the tube.

Mine did not need any cleaning up, although it seems a common thing to have to do.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I may have to try one if these. I keep telling myself “someday” I’ll splurge for an RF-100, but that someday never comes. At least the wife will load tubes for me. :)

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I may have to try one if these. I keep telling myself “someday” I’ll splurge for an RF-100, but that someday never comes. At least the wife will load tubes for me. :)

Yeah, that is where I was as well, waiting to get the Dillon version, but as you say, "someday never comes". I always seem to find better uses for the money.

At the price, I figured it was worth the gamble as I HATE filling primer tubes, and my wife wants nothing to do with them either, so I figured what the heck. I am so glad I did!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Same here... Its $45-50 that is tough to justify sometimes. Is it worth $50 to fill the tubes? When we started really getting into 300BO it was worth $35+- for a Caldwell brass catcher.

Maybe this time. Santa needs a new loading room gizmo.

:ingo:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Yeah, that is where I was as well, waiting to get the Dillon version, but as you say, "someday never comes". I always seem to find better uses for the money.

At the price, I figured it was worth the gamble as I HATE filling primer tubes, and my wife wants nothing to do with them either, so I figured what the heck. I am so glad I did!

I recently got a Dillon RF100 with a press I bought. It is slick and takes some fiddling with setting and positioning to get it to run right.
    The Vibra prime is faster than the Dillon but you have to operate it as in flipping primers and making sure they are right side up and holding it at the right angle to keep feeding the primers into the tube.
    The Dillon you dump the primers and turn on and walk away. Well actually it is hard to walk away as it is fascinating to watch work. Cool engineering and this thing is metal and big and heavy along with expensive. They hold their value really well and used ones sell fast online.
    The Vibra Prime does the same thing as the Dillon for a lot less but we all have things we don't need. I know people with Dillon 650's that shoot less than 1000 rounds a year:dunno:

I DO know that life is to short to spend poking at primers one at a time off a tray.:):

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I actually find loading the primer pickup tubes fun since I picked up extra tubes for my Dillon 550.
    I am never in a rush when I set down to reload so taking 6-8 minutes to load primer tubes is no big deal to me.

BrianT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Butlerville
    I used a small motor to settle the powder in the dropper on my Lee press long ago but didn't need it after I went with the auto drum and a baffle setup. On the Lee primer drop, wash them with dish soap and dry graphite them. The littlest bit of dirt or static makes those a PITA but when they're clean they run fine for me.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have one that I have used for a while. I have 12 tubes both large and small load 1000 primers fill the powder measure and let the 650 eat. Well worth the $50

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I started this thread a few weeks ago or so, and thought I would update things after using the Vibra-Prime for a while.

I still LOVE it!!! :D

However, last night was the first time I had used it for large primers (LPP) as I was loading up some .45 ACP rounds.

Out of 500 primers, I had two get jammed up in the opening of the flip tray where it meets the primer tube.

The first time, I took it apart, cleared the jam (it was a bit crooked in the hole), and then things went fine.

The second time, I decided to just shake it a bit to see if I could dislodge it, and sure enough, with a few shakes, it went in just fine, and I continued on as if nothing happened.

So I guess I not longer say that I have had ZERO issues, but the issues were minor and easily corrected. I was still able to load 500 LPP in a fraction of the time it would have taken me to load them using the primer pickup tubes, one primer at a time. Ugh! I don't think I will ever be able to go back to that again, I am totally spoiled by this thing!

I hate to keep raving about such a simple device, but I actually *almost* look forward to loading primer tubes now it is so easy (and fun)! Crazy, right??? :n00b:

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The Vibra-Prime had so many bad reviews when I looked at buying one so I stayed away from it. Spent more money and went with a Pal Filler. Unfortunately they're no longer made. It was worth every penny. Needed it to keep up with my Dillon Super 1050.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The Vibra-Prime had so many bad reviews when I looked at buying one so I stayed away from it. Spent more money and went with a Pal Filler. Unfortunately they're no longer made. It was worth every penny. Needed it to keep up with my Dillon Super 1050.

Yeah, I have heard good things about the Pal Filler for sure, but as you mention, they are no longer available.

I am not sure if FA has modified the design or the manufacturing process on their newer models or not, but mine seems to work fine. One of the recommendations you see on almost any YT video is to remove the excess flashing with an Exacto knife and a small file. I had my tools ready to do the work, but there was no flashing on mine. Literally none. Not even a small amount.

I was with you, I kept reading the bad reviews and stayed away, even though I hate loading primer tubes. I looked into the Pal Filler, but none to be found. I finally bit the bullet and spent the "best $45 I have ever spent on reloading gear". (Kidding of course, but it is pretty dang close!)

I loaded up another 400 rounds of .45 last night, and I will say that the LPP are a bit more difficult to get into the tube than the SPP, but again, a small shake or two to get a jammed primer to fall into the hole, and I am off to the races again. It takes literally SECONDS to load a tube.

Truly amazing, and I can't ever imagine loading a primer tube by hand again.

Top Bottom