• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    So I am gonna start reloading 9mm and was wondering what everyone is seeing for cost per box (50rounds)

I have some 115gn plated round nose that will be about $7 a box

But I also have a little over 500 124gn flat nose plated bullets that I got a really good deal on that brings my cost per box to about $5.05

So what is everyone else seeing in the costs?

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I'm usually around $6 a box. Give or take depending on the deal on bullets at the time and what I have to pay for primers

I just bought factory loaded ammo for $7.80/50 rounds. If your doing it from a cost savings standpoint, it will take a very long time to break even.

If you don't have to buy brass, I think you should be around $5-$5.50 a box. If that's not the case you will be right around $7. It all depends on when you buy and the sale at the time.

Per 1000
    Powder: $14
    Primers: $29
    Bullets: $65
    Brass: $34

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I use cast bullets and believe I keep the cost under $6. I have tons of brass, so that cost is not figured in. If 9mm was the only thing I reloaded, I probably would not reload. Not much savings there. The 44mag/spl, 357mag/spl and .380 are where I really save the money.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    What bullets is that usually with?

I use Xtreme bullets. Just calculated it all up and I'm at $6.25/50

I just bought factory loaded ammo for $7.80/50 rounds. If your doing it from a cost savings standpoint, it will take a very long time to break even.

If you don't have to buy brass, I think you should be around $5-$5.50 a box. If that's not the case you will be right around $7. It all depends on when you buy and the sale at the time.

Per 1000
    Powder: $14
    Primers: $29
    Bullets: $65
    Brass: $34

Yeah, the sale on bullets really help, I also have only had to buy brass once. I also reload other calibers which helps me break even on equipment, but most of all I enjoy being able to load low recoil rounds and just simply having it all on hand for whenever I want to go shooting. I don't have to stand at a walmart counter for 30 minutes to get ammo or even deal with going to several places in a pinch when places are sold out.

Really, I could buy 1,000 for $150 all day long, but as much as I shoot, that $25 extra savings on every 1k adds up over the year. This year I have loaded over 5,500 rounds of 9mm and I probably have about 500 loaded up from that and one more box of 500 that hasn't been opened yet. If you are reloading for a cost savings standpoint, you better do a lot of shooting if you are only loading 9mm to make up for the equipment.

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    I fully understand that most savings will be in your larger handgun calibers and rifle calibers. But I still think that $4 off a box is $4. Still saving money. Right now I load 9mm, .44 special and .223/5.56

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Always around $5.00 to $6.50 a box depending on components. We are still beating factory price by several dollars a box; but, then again I’m shooting more and more. So what! I’m having fun and that is what it’s all about.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I am in the 3 buck range. Free brass, bunch of 22 hornet primers I got for next to nothing, scrapped a bunch of brass used money for powder, cabelas points for the bullets XTremes.

I keep shooting on the cheap or I grab a fishing pole.

Grabbed a fresh XL650 to take the time burglar aspect out of the equation.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I am running at $2.50 / box of 50
    How?
    Thousands of pieces of free, police department range brass
    Casting my own bullets
    Powder that I bought 15 years ago @ $4.00 /lb

mdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    I'm at $4.36 per 50,Cabela's had good deal on xtreme bullets,got 1500 for less than $100,Jeff Bartlett(gibrass.com) sells a great 9mm powder (BR5) 6 lbs for $100 and I picked up last year 5000 primers for less than $100 @ Cabelas

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    So I am gonna start reloading 9mm and was wondering what everyone is seeing for cost per box (50rounds)

I have some 115gn plated round nose that will be about $7 a box

But I also have a little over 500 124gn flat nose plated bullets that I got a really good deal on that brings my cost per box to about $5.05

So what is everyone else seeing in the costs?

I like FMJs and CMJs, so I am up more around $6-$6.50 per box assuming the brass is free. BUT after a lot of initial working up loads, I now load ammunition which is generally higher quality, tailored to MY handgun, and my purpose. As others have said, it isn't about saving money.

mdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    I agree that cost isn't everything,I test all my loads with a 12" T/C 9mm barrel which fairly consistently shoots sub 1" 5 shot groups @ 25 yards with plated bullets.For paper punching or banging steel FMJ's are really not necessary

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    I just loaded 500 rounds of 9mm. Cost was $2.17 per 50.
    Brass is "free" once you buy/shoot/find it.
    I cast my own bullets from "free" lead
    Powder and pimers bought in bulk.

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    I think it fully depends on what you are loading and why.

If you are loading 9mm same as factory then probably not.

But if you are loading hot or might loads for larger calibers then the savings add up fast

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My number one reason to load my own is to have a load that I like and my gun likes. I load lighter loads than factory for target practice.
    My number two reason to load is that I enjoy the process.
    My number three reason to load is to save money.

I was using FMJ projectiles and recently purchased a large amount of coated rounds so I don't know my cost per round that this point.

Top Bottom