• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Just as the title reads....I'll eventually end up getting both but as of right now I only plan on buying one new book and have narrowed it down to these two choices so I thought I'd ask the experts here on INGO for their opinion and experience on which book has been more useful and why. I primarily load with alliant powders and different bullet brands/makers which leads to one of my concerns with buying the hornady book. My main concern with hornady is that their data is possibly based around their bullets exclusively. This is would obviously be an issue due to the differences between some bullet makers and I wouldn't want to the risk going purely by the bullet weight. My other concern is the available data for other powders besides the ones hornady and Hogdon manufacture. Now....on to the Lyman. I've loaded most of my loads based on lyman data with good results but on some ways bullet selection seems somewhat limted. A good example is the 40 S&W 180gn FMJ I loaded a whole back, certain bullet types where available but this very common one was not. Now keep in mind I'm working from somewhat of a "mini manual" ..a smaller version of the Lyman 49th but only for select calibers so thiscould be the reason. Once I find a load I like I typically stick with it. However I'm moving more towards easily available compents and new loads. So which is more recommended by INGO.....Lyman or hornady?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have both and they both have strong points. If you plan to do anything with lead bullets in pistol or rifle the Lyman is the manual to get. The jacketed data is pretty generic, but gets you in the ballpark. If you want a larger range of cartridges get the Hornady. The loads can be used much the same as the Lyman by getting a comparable bullet weight and style and work up from there.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Thank you, that's exactly the type of information I was looking for. I plan to move towards casting and buying lead bullet's to reduce cost for practice. I just wanted to see what others thought of the information. Looks like I'll be ordering the Lyman first since I have plenty of time to order the hornady to work up a new deer load.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I load a lot of lead, so I like the Lyman manual and use it quite a bit. One thing people seem to forget is the other useful info in the loading manuals. There are a lot of free data guides from powder manufacturers, they are downloadable in PDF, but there is a lot of good loading info (other than data) in the manuals, especially the one from Lyman. Headspace, ballistics, barrel care, loading techniques, etc. Don't forget the front half of the manuals, there is a lot of great info whether you are a newbie of an experienced loader. That info is the difference between someone that mindlessly cranks out ammo and a knowledgeable handloader.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    +1 for Whip..

I load a lot of lead, so I like the Lyman manual and use it quite a bit. One thing people seem to forget is the other useful info in the loading manuals. There are a lot of free data guides from powder manufacturers, they are downloadable in PDF, but there is a lot of good loading info (other than data) in the manuals, especially the one from Lyman. Headspace, ballistics, barrel care, loading techniques, etc. Don't forget the front half of the manuals, there is a lot of great info whether you are a newbie of an experienced loader. That info is the difference between someone that mindlessly cranks out ammo and a knowledgeable handloader.

I'm with you Bro..I also been "Pulling the Handle" on a press since 1972, so I have been through a few manuals..

I would say one of my main Go To books is my Lyman 48..Yes, I still get "New" info from that one.
    To the OP, most ALL bullet mfg manuals will steer you toward the powders that help them sell their bullets..Bill.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Spike, I just recently got a Lyman 50th as a gift. I'm not using my 49th any more. It's your's if you want it. Lemme know...

Last edited:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I'm with you Bro..I also been "Pulling the Handle" on a press since 1972, so I have been through a few manuals..

I would say one of my main Go To books is my Lyman 48..Yes, I still get "New" info from that one.
    To the OP, most ALL bullet mfg manuals will steer you toward the powders that help them sell their bullets..Bill.

I've primarily been using the LEE 2nd edition and trusted information along with manufacturer loads.

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    If you are set on using a variety of bullet manufacturers, then I'd suggest the Lyman manual. Bullet construction varies so much today that I consider it essential to have access to data that is specific to the brand and type of bullet. If you can limit your bullet selections to mostly Hornady products, then the Hornady manual may make more sense.

Another consideration is that Hornady tends to update their manuals more often than Lyman, so the Lyman manual will have a longer "shelf life" than the Hornady manual. So if you get the Lyman now, by the time you are ready to buy the Hornady it may be in the 11th or 12th edition, but the Lyman 50th will still be the latest edition. Another plus for the Lyman manual is that it contains pressure data which can help gauge how close you are to the max. It's beneficial to have multiple manuals, I have the Lyman and one from each of the bullet manufacturers that I use.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Lyman also put out a manual specifically for cast bullets.
    Lymans Cast Bullet handbook.

This single manual contains more cast loading information than I've ever seen in one place.
    I'm still a newb, but this manual is a valuable addition to anyone's bench.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I wasn't aware they had a book specific to lead bullets. I'm definitely looking into picking it up now. I believe I had seen it before but assumed it was a manual for casting and kept on browsing. Guess I should have payed more attention

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I wasn't aware they had a book specific to lead bullets. I'm definitely looking into picking it up now. I believe I had seen it before but assumed it was a manual for casting and kept on browsing. Guess I should have payed more attention

I guess the one I'm referencing is the 4th edition cast bullet handbook.
    The first book Lyman has produced in 30 years dedicated solely to cast bullets.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I've had the 3rd edition of the Cast Bullet Handbook for about 35 years. I was surprised when the 4th edition came out, a few years ago. I thought they forgot about that book.

There is load data, but the book is mostly a great resource and guide for bullet casting. Lots of great info on equipment, casting techniques, and metallurgy.

Top Bottom