• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    finally got out to shoot today and had a 'situation'. feeding the G23 with WWB factory ammo, .40 165g, had an odd sound and look. very limited noise and smoke from breech. I kept it pointed safe fearing a hangload. 30sec later I cleared it and found that the primer had gone off, but round did not fire. stepped it into the dirt and put my ammo can (full of brass only) on top, just in case. I have never run across this before. bullet did not move, round looked and 'felt' like all the others (implying it still had powder). anyone have this happen before? buddy I was with was very hesitant the rest of the day.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Good for you on being aware of the misfire. Sounds like the primer went off and no powder in the case. Be careful of the rest of that box and save the box or make note of the lot number in case you need to contact the mfg. You were doubly lucky in that your squib did not stick the projectile in your barrel. Now you know what it sounds and feels like. Always be aware!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Call Win and probably get a new box. They usually want to know about this stuff so they can factor it into if they need to do a recall or something. I read a lot of this kinda thing with WWB.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Definitely contact Winchester about the dud.
    Send the lot # to them and hopefully they'll do something about it.
    I personally have my doubts that Winchester will do anything about it. They've been experiencing ammo issues for quite some time.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    There was a time that I would have needed to keep Winchester on speed dial if I call for every problem I had with them. That time is no more because I don't buy Winchester ammo or primers.

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    I too have had "incidents" with Winchester ammo. They have NEVER replaced, re-imbursed or compensated for any ammo that has failed to fire. They have asked for samples and the box code to be sent back to them. After I call them up to inquire about it, they usually claim "we can't locate the issue and please call back later" or the ammo was fine and it must have been the firearm.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Just another look at it....

On the other end of the matter..

I have loaded A LOT of rounds with Winchester primers without ANY problems on their part..

Now, don't Flame me==Shot a LOT of Winchester .22 LR in the 100 round plastic box with no problems at all.

10-12 years ago I had some problems with Winchester .44 Mag new brass==About 20% of the cases in the 50 count bag would split about a 1/4" down from the case mouth when seating 240gr. Hornady projectiles.

I contacted Winchester and they replaced the New brass with TWICE the amount that I had bought....It DID take them awhile (6 months or so), but they did make good on their product..

Just another look at it...Bill

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Back in the late 80s a S&W factory shooter by the name of Tom Campbell was about to win a National Match title. He was on the last stage and his gun went click instead of bang. Turns out one of the Winchester factory loaded rounds had a case with no primer hole. He was not happy. Over the years I have seen Winchester ammo with primers inserted sideways and crushed flat and primers inserted backwards. The last box of bulk Winchester rimfire loads I bought contained 1 dud for every 5 rounds. The company offers no guarantee that their ammo will function whatsoever. That's why every time I hear someone say you should never carry handloads in you self defense guns, I have to laugh out loud. I would never trust factory ammo for serious business.

BrianT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Butlerville
    How tight was that crimp? I've never seen a squib not actually push the bullet into the barrel. My bet would be no flash hole in the case.

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    There was a time that I would have needed to keep Winchester on speed dial if I call for every problem I had with them. That time is no more because I don't buy Winchester ammo or primers.

What primers are you reloading with if you don’t use Win? I was running out my stock of CCI with the intention of changing to win because several of the reloaders I’m friends with say Win are softer than CCI. I don’t intend this to start a bashing of Win primers, just looking for what brand you are using.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Winchester primers are softer than CCI. Quite a bit softer. CCI are the hardest and Federal are the softest. All of the U.S. made primers are in the middle. I have used nothing Federal for over 30 years and have never had one fail to fire. But if you tune an action light enough to fire 100% with Federals most of time it will not pop anything else.

I Love Bourbon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    I agree with Brian T, if the primer fired it would have pushed the bullet into the barrel. If it didn't pull the bullet and see if there's a flash hole.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    What primers are you reloading with if you don’t use Win? I was running out my stock of CCI with the intention of changing to win because several of the reloaders I’m friends with say Win are softer than CCI. I don’t intend this to start a bashing of Win primers, just looking for what brand you are using.
    I like federals when I can get them. Right now I have a couple thousand CCI large pistol left. I've never had any troublle with the CCI's but, I don't have any light tuned actions.
    I WOULD use Winchester primers if I ran across a deal. I do stay away from Winchester White box though. I've had, and seen first hand too many issues with it. When I quit buying WWB I just switched primer brands also.

Top Bottom