• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Stepped up today and bought a Dillon 650 with a few goodies to go with it for my USPSA 9 mm loading. Can't wait to get it set up. Look for my old Loadmaster to hit the For Sales soon.

Anyway, just had to share...Merry Christmas to me!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If, and when I go progressive it would be a Dillon. :yesway:

Let us know how you like it when you get it setup.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Stepped up today and bought a Dillon 650 with a few goodies to go with it for my USPSA 9 mm loading. Can't wait to get it set up. Look for my old Loadmaster to hit the For Sales soon.

Anyway, just had to share...Merry Christmas to me!

I went from a loadmaster to a 650 about a year ago. I knew I hated the old press, didn't realize how much. Good move! Enjoy.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I just perused some more upgrades for the press...lots out there available. Thanks for clueing me in.

Loadmaster works. I had just about perfected the priming system...but decided to just upgrade before I start the loading this winter. Some things fell in to line to pull the trigger sooner than I had planned.

Anyone use the Double Alpha case feeder? Looks like it brings the case load up to about the same as the priming system. Interesting at the price point.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I just perused some more upgrades for the press...lots out there available. Thanks for clueing me in.

Loadmaster works. I had just about perfected the priming system...but decided to just upgrade before I start the loading this winter. Some things fell in to line to pull the trigger sooner than I had planned.

Anyone use the Double Alpha case feeder? Looks like it brings the case load up to about the same as the priming system. Interesting at the price point.

Not at all familiar with the DA case feeder or how it works; however, get a case feeder! Makes all the difference in loading speed.
    Regarding an earlier suggestion of a powder level sensor in position #3: my opinion is not necessary. I have a bright light (spotlight bulb) from Menards with a flex handle mounted to see, easily, the powder level at both position #3 and #4 (bullet seating.) It is easy to see if there is some issue with the powder charge, and, it allows me to see if there are any issues with the case.

I have never experienced any variances in charges thrown by the measure; so, any variance in powder level is from another source. One such source is dried mud stuck in the bottom of the case, which does not come out in washing. The case will, still, size, decap, prime, and powder charge, but the powder level in the case will be noticeably. Sure, the powder-level checker will catch that, but I prefer to watch the process closely, which means my rounds-per-hour rate is a bit less.

Like any other machine, it will take some time to learn the nuances of the 650 and its operation. Take your time, be careful, establish a routine, and be sure to case gauge...especially the early rounds!

All in all, the Dillon 650 is a great machine. It doesn't really need more positive testimony...however...Robert Vogel has two 650s C-clamped to his island kitchen counter! One for 9mm and the other for .40 cal.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    All in all, the Dillon 650 is a great machine. It doesn't really need more positive testimony...however...Robert Vogel has two 650s C-clamped to his island kitchen counter! One for 9mm and the other for .40 cal.

This is the kind of life I want to have! Haha frying bacon and loading some rounds.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Love mine as well, and I have added lots of gadgets to make it work more efficiently/smoothly, see list below.

You definitely want a case feeder. Also, see this trick with a used .38 special case for when you want to stop the cases from loading (you will want to do this periodically for various reasons):

Simple trick for the Dillon 650!

Here are the mods that I added:

Inline Fabrication Ulta Mount w/ Quick Change Adapter
    Inline Fabrication Ergo Roller Handle
    Inline Fabrication Sky Light
    Taylor Tactical Supply Powder Drop adjustable knob
    Dillon Bullet tray w/ Inline Fabrication mounting bracket
    Level 10 Innovations - Shellplate bearing kit
    Low mass detent ball
    Dillon Upgrades (Steve Thone) - Spent Primer Drop Upgrade
    Dillon Upgrades (Steve Thone) - Missed Live Primer Upgrade
    Snowshooze Roller Cam Follower (eBay)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-650-SL-900-performance-improvements-Roller-Cam-Follower-/321117491057
    Snowshooze Rotocam Actuator (eBay)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-650-SL-900-Rotocam-Actuator-/222412345759
    Snowshooze Dillon Primer stop switch for XL 650, SL 900
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-Pri...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    Primer Tube Rack hold 10 pick-up tubes on Dillon Case Feeder Press 650 1050 550
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Primer-Tub...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I picked one up too. Bobcat bought me out of my old Square Deal and Lee single stage. Also picked up an RCBS turret to play with on the side.

Have it all dialed in for 9mm. Stashing components and want to put together an AR9. All it takes is money.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I have 550 and 650 but still kept my old trusty Lee single stage. I use it to deprime and size rifle brass.

Bookmark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Gibson County
    I will add my support to especially the bearing kit, detent ball, and light upgrades for the 650. I haven't seen the primer stop switch before though and I NEED that, thanks Doublehelix.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I will add my support to especially the bearing kit, detent ball, and light upgrades for the 650. I haven't seen the primer stop switch before though and I NEED that, thanks Doublehelix.

That primer stop switch is my newest addition, and I have to admit it is really awesome! The primer cam slides into and out of position very easily, and takes all of 2 seconds to move. I have learned the sweet spot, you can only move it so far, otherwise it hits the primer support rod.

It is really a great idea, and a great implementation, I cannot recommend it highly enough!

He ships from Anchorage, Alaska however, so it takes a week or so in the mail to get to the ConUS.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I hope to unbolt my Lee tomorrow and start setting this up. I have on order...

Bearing kit
    Inline light kit
    DA case feeder (I may send it back)
    Seems like 1 other thing too

Anyway. I have a 2x6 mount I use for lee. Hoping the Dillon takes to it well.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I got ya all beat, had a stupid attack this summer. I ordered a 650 for my sons birthday, then i bought a 650 from bobcat with casefeeder, strong mounts, better handle. I have since sold my square deal. 650 quicker by far, and my son and i can trade off set ups between us.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Just need one of those calendar girls to come help you set it up, or distract you as the case may be. They didn't send me one either.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I hope to unbolt my Lee tomorrow and start setting this up. I have on order...

Bearing kit
    Inline light kit
    DA case feeder (I may send it back)
    Seems like 1 other thing too

Anyway. I have a 2x6 mount I use for lee. Hoping the Dillon takes to it well.

Did you mean "DA bullet feeder"?

Awesome, and once you get ti setup, feel free to ask any questions you might have about operation of said device. You are going to love it!!! Congratulations once again, and welcome to the "Blue Club"!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Regarding an earlier suggestion of a powder level sensor in position #3: my opinion is not necessary. I have a bright light (spotlight bulb) from Menards with a flex handle mounted to see, easily, the powder level at both position #3 and #4 (bullet seating.) It is easy to see if there is some issue with the powder charge, and, it allows me to see if there are any issues with the case.

I disagree about the powder level sensor. Any safety device that can be added to help with the process is a good idea.

Top Bottom