• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I recently upgraded my 12ga to a Mossberg 590a1 9 shot 12ga with the iron sights and speed feed stock. My intent is for 8 + 1 of 00 in the tube and slugs in the side saddle.

Now, I really don't think there's a 12ga slug out there that would do a "bad" job for home defense. What I'm really after are what rifled slugs tend to be the most popular or industry standard? There's so many options out there that I really don't even know where to start. I'm not going to use this for hunting season since Indiana allows pistol caliber rifles along with regular rifles now. I'm just looking for something that'll do the job and isn't so expensive that I can't train with them as well.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would personally keep 7 in the magazine and the chamber empty. Figure out which buckshot patterns best. For me that is reduced recoil 00 Federal flight control. Then I would load the side saddle with more flight control.

For a working shotgun outsude the home I keep some slugs around. My guns like the 1oz Low recoil Fiocchi aeroslug or the reduced recoil Federal trueball.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    At in home distances a good 00 or number 4 buck load will hit similar to a slug but won't over penetrate as much. I would be very careful about using slugs in an HD gun.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I live "sorta" in the country. I'm not worried about blowing through walls as I am about other concerns.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    At close range, like in a house self defense situation, I would think 00 Buck or something just a little smaller with an open choke pattern would be ideal for home defense. This might be especially true in low light situations. I would agree with Vert above.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    At close range, like in a house self defense situation, I would think 00 Buck or something just a little smaller with an open choke pattern would be ideal for home defense. This might be especially true in low light situations where you might have less than optimal sight pictures.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I live "sorta" in the country. I'm not worried about blowing through walls as I am about other concerns.

When you say "other concerns", in a thread with the subject containing the words 12 ga slugs and home defense, I have to ask, what are these concerns?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    another vote for flite control buck in 00. That is instantly 9 shots of 8mm ball all at once. Thats a lot of wound cavity.

I'll take 9 small cavities over 1 big one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Well, if you want to over penetrate just a little: THD® - Tactical Home Defense | Brenneke - Ammunition

If you want to over penetrate a lot: https://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/shotshell/type/truball-slug

Per DocGKR, in FBI testing the second option penetrated 2 feet after auto glass. Auto glass is a good indicator of how a given projectile deals with bone as well, so keep in mind it's probably going to have enough force to be quite lethal even after going through an intermediate barrier and/or a person.

Unless you're worried about bears/moose/zombie bears, buck is generally the better choice if you don't anticipate having to shoot through car doors, windshields, etc.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Well, if you want to over penetrate just a little: THD® - Tactical Home Defense | Brenneke - Ammunition

If you want to over penetrate a lot: https://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/shotshell/type/truball-slug

Per DocGKR, in FBI testing the second option penetrated 2 feet after auto glass. Auto glass is a good indicator of how a given projectile deals with bone as well, so keep in mind it's probably going to have enough force to be quite lethal even after going through an intermediate barrier and/or a person.

Unless you're worried about bears/moose/zombie bears, buck is generally the better choice if you don't anticipate having to shoot through car doors, windshields, etc.

Slow zombie bears or fast zombie bears?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I can not answer for the OP as to what “other concerns” he might have. Personally I can not see any reason to keep slugs on my home defense shotgun. Slugs serve three purposes in my mind. 1) to turn the shotgun into some sort of makeshift rifle. Extending the range of the weapon beyond that of buckshot. 2) barrier penetration like car doors or auto glass. 3) hunting

I so keep some slugs in my pickup truck. But I don’t keep the slugs in or on the gun. Flight control buckshot makes my shotgun an effective 20 yard weapon which makes it a good option for most situations in which it might be used.

I suppose a person could argue that in a hostage situation they could transition to a slug and take a more precise shot. Personally I feel that is a lot going on. Load good quality reduced recoil buckshot and learn how your gun patterns. Then work within those constraints.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Agreed.

Most things I can think of that need more range than a heavy 00 or #4 buck load need to be shot with a RIFLE...not a shotgun slug.

Most things that need to be hit with more precision than a well-matched shot load cannot reliably be hit with a slug either, therefore a RIFLE needs to be employed.

-Nate

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Most people NEVER "pattern" their buckshot or slugs for that matter when it comes to home or personal defense.
    This ain't no cowboy picture where the buckshot blows the WHOLE SIDE OF THE BARN AWAY.
    I run 2 rds of buckshot then 2 rds of rifled slugs in my PD shotgun.
    Saying this... The shotgun is my 3rd line defense weapon. AR, Glock 19 on the nightstand with light, and then the shotguns. There's also a few 1911s, hatchets, knives, chairs, and then ME.
    Pattern your shotguns and be surprised.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Sorry for any confusion on the "other concerns" comment. What I was getting at is that if I did go outside for some reaso n and had to deal with a windshield, or if I just grabbed that gun because it's handy for a coyote or something. I leave a lot to the imigination.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If a windshield is threatening you...

If you are shooting at someone behind a windshield that could be problematic.

Top Bottom