• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    After about 12 years of using a single stage Lee press - and getting great service from it - I finally tossed in my hand and bought a Lee Classic Turret.

Having loaded about 4000 rounds of 9mm in the last few months, I am looking forward to the time and effort savings this promises. Not to mention probable increased uniformity of loads/sizing/etc.

Another 12 years and I'll be ready for a Dillon, maybe (though working with tubes of primers is kind of intimidating)... :ingo:

SS 396

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Coatesville
    You won't be disappointed, i have the Lee Classic Turret and it is a fine press. I have loaded many rounds on it, having the extra turrets allows you to leave your dies adjusted just swap em out go on to next caliber. My Father in law recently gave me his Dillon 550 i like it very well, my Father in law is a great guy and has taught me alot about reloading. But my Lee turret still has a spot on my bench, it will still be used some.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Don't lose the single stage. You'll want it for load development, among other things. Even with a 650, a SDB and old lyman turret, I still find many uses for my singe stage presses.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Don't lose the single stage. You'll want it for load development, among other things. Even with a 650, a SDB and old lyman turret, I still find many uses for my singe stage presses.

Unfortunately my wife barely lets me have enough space for one press, let alone two, but I'll hang on to it just in case... ;)

It's very exciting to pull the lever three/four times and produce a cartridge ready to fire. Wow!!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Yep... Always keep the single stage. I too find the process of reloading to be relaxing. Loaded up some new 300BO recipe's this week with the cold weather curtailing outside activities. Fun stuff.

:ingo:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Come up with some method for swapping the presses(like Lee quick mount) to swap from press to press. I started on a Turret, moved to Loadmaster, now on to 650. Mainly for my competition stuff and lack of time has moved me to quicker presses. I am selling the Loadmaster, but the turret will stay around for the lower volume reloading. Its a great press.

Keep the little 'square' keys on hand for the indexing part. That's the main 'wear' item I had to replace. Eventually it will start not locking in quite right and you'll have to nudge it as you actuate the arm. Litarlly, only issue I ever had with it...and a quick 5 minutes swap to the new part and I was off and running again. I have many turrets for it and leave my dies set up....easy caliber changes. The powder drops are cheap too....

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    I started with a single Hornady press, then got a Hornaday AP. I could never get it to run smooth constantly, so I traded it away for a rifle. I do as well finding it smoothing to reload. I’ve got a pretty good rhythm on the single press.
    I was at Plainfield shooting over the weekend and was tinkering the thought of getting another progressive press. So for now it’s just the good ol single stage Hornady

thephasdin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    Terre Haute
    I used Hornady single stage for a few years before finally splurging on a Forster Co-ax. No plan yet for turret or progressive. I do a lot of precision reloading so it's always a slow process for me

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I dumped my 15yr old Lee this past spring. Did some major upgrading and revamping. Went with a new Dillon and a RCBS turret off to the side for tinkering with. Just now getting to play with it some since the cold weather hit.

My only regret is not getting into progressive sooner. Trying to eliminate the time burglar aspect of loading. People are always at the top of the stairs barking orders at me.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I started with a Lee Classic Turret press, and loved it. It was a great way to get started and learn the ropes. Since you have loading experience, you will be fine, although I have now upgraded to a Dillon XL650 progressive press, and I can't believe it took me so long to get one!

I have kept the Lee however, and now use it for load development work and some precision stuff, although I really want to buy a Forester Co-Ax for precision work.

Best of luck, and congratulations!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    I started with a Lee Classic Turret press, and loved it. It was a great way to get started and learn the ropes. Since you have loading experience, you will be fine, although I have now upgraded to a Dillon XL650 progressive press, and I can't believe it took me so long to get one!

I have kept the Lee however, and now use it for load development work and some precision stuff, although I really want to buy a Forester Co-Ax for precision work.

Thanks. It's quite a change indeed, and a real time-saver.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013

This sounds like my reloading future. I’ve used a Lee turret for years and cranked out some pretty good ammo. The little square thingy is the only thing I’ve worn out. I’m now looking for the right deal on a 650. If the right package came along in a square deal, that might also be hard for me to pass up. Either way, I’d always keep the Lee around for small scale tinkering.

sdb321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2016
    LaFontaine
    When I decided to get into reloading I bought a Dillon SDB. A while back I visited a local pawn shop and picked up a RCBS Partner press(new-in box-never mounted) for $85. Now where ever I enter a shop I look for any used presses. You can't have too many!!!!! Single / turret / auto, makes no difference.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The Lee Classic Turret press isn't a lot more than a single stage. Way convenient to add $12 replaceable turrets as you need to switch calibers, while leaving dies set up for the last.

I took the plastic thingy out of mine and use as a more versatile single stage for precision loading.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    One unfortunate thing, however, is that the Lee Autodisk powder measure is grossly short 9-10% of the throws. I checked the throws for awhile, but obviously not closely enough. Not sure how that's happening, but it's a thing alright.

I am getting pretty good at 'squibology' though.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    One unfortunate thing, however, is that the Lee Autodisk powder measure is grossly short 9-10% of the throws. I checked the throws for awhile, but obviously not closely enough. Not sure how that's happening, but it's a thing alright.

I am getting pretty good at 'squibology' though.

I never had a problem with mine loading over 3000 rounds. Is the disk set up right(little arm hooked in the slot its supposed to be in?).

The drum, if I had stayed with my lee, would have been on the buy list cuz its so cheap...but I'll probably stick with the auto disks now. Like I said, never had a problem with them. HIt accurate w/in a 1/10th of a grain every time I checked mine(2 sample size lot as I had 2 of those same powder measures. One was new, one used, when I got it.) over the few years I used them.

Top Bottom