• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I always keep a spare loaded mag in the car. What can this possibly do to powder/primers? Any possible negative effects?

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I had never heard of problems with cold. I was warned not to leave cast bullets in a hot car. Russ said the lube would melt into the powder and possibly cause a squib load.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No negative effects. Just keep ammo dry and that includes condensation from radical temp environment changes.

Yep, I'd think condensation from temp changes would be the enemy, but I've never really left any in the car to test, and definitely not for an extended period. Not sure if condensation that would refreeze potentially could potentially cause some issues with feeding, or reliability.

For the OP, I'd make an effort to cycle that ammo during range trips, but that's me.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    That is the wonderful thing about a model 66. No mags to mess with. Not a single failure to feed or a single stovepipe.

If if I need more than the 6 in it and two speedloaders then I should have brought the ak or a shotgun.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Yep, I'd think condensation from temp changes would be the enemy, but I've never really left any in the car to test, and definitely not for an extended period. Not sure if condensation that would refreeze potentially could potentially cause some issues with feeding, or reliability.

For the OP, I'd make an effort to cycle that ammo during range trips, but that's me.

Thanks for the info. Typically, my carry ammo is on a 3 month cycle.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I leave a couple of ARs loaded in my trunk all year long.
    I went out earlier today and fired off both ARs, emptying mags, and reloaded with pre-loaded mags. NO ISSUES.
    Last year at the coldest part of the year I did this same test.
    I had Magpul mags that didn't want to catch with 30 rds loaded in the PMag30s Gen3.
    They loaded and worked fine with 28 rounds in the extreme cold.
    The only problems I had were with the PMags. Not the ammo.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I just pulled a box of Blazers out of the backseat of my car today, opened them immediately and let the condensation evaporate off before I loaded them into some mags for a range visit for some setup tests. I don't hesitate to fire them. It's just some surface moisture, and the components are press fit with an effective seal. As a side effect, the powder is safe from EMP :rolleyes:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I am laughing at this thread. Cold does not hurt ammo. Temperatures can change the pressures generated VERY slightly. In Arizona pro shooters keep their ammo in coolers packed in ice because the desert heat can actually lower pressures enough that their loads may not make Major power levels if they're loaded to just barely make Major at ambient temperatures. I have seen guys at matches suddenly find out they are now shooting Minor loads when they test your ammo because of the heat. I also got a laugh out of the thread where someone suggested testing your carry gun because they believed extreme cold would cause they springs to weaken to the point their guns would not fire. That's a good one too. The difference between -10 degrees and 110 degrees is not enough to have any noticeable effect on ammo or springs. But lube? That is a problem in cold temps. And those guys who were at the Chosin can tell you all about that........

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I too find this thread amusing! I collect firearms and ammo. I have many thousand's of rounds of Military surplus ~ much from WW-2 stocks. This has been stored in England, Germany, Italy, Turkey, Switzerland, Sweden, Russia, Yugoslavia, Greece, Egypt, and various other countries. I have had only one small batch of ammo I have had any trouble with, that was some Nagant handgun ammo from Russia, ‎7.62×38mmR. This could have dated from 1898 or later and the brass was somewhat corroded.

I have measured the velocity (chronograph) of several different rounds over the years and in every case the velocity was in or very near the published spec.

I am absolutely sure most of this surplus ammo was stored in none climate controlled conditions in everything from Desert to frozen areas for 70+ years without any apparent issues. I have found it to fire as reliable as new ammo! I would not even think about being concerned about storing new ammo in an automobile in the US until at least 100 years had past!

Longsh0t

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2016
    Evansville
    Just a statement but you guys do know that ammunition is transported in semi trucks with all the other freight. Depending on the distribution center distance and how long it takes for employees to get it unloaded it may sit in the heat or cold for a while. I would assume this happens multiple times in the distribution chain before it hits the shelves unless its hand loaded. If it wasnt a problem for all the other rounds you can bet it wont be bad for yours.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Just a statement but you guys do know that ammunition is transported in semi trucks with all the other freight. Depending on the distribution center distance and how long it takes for employees to get it unloaded it may sit in the heat or cold for a while. I would assume this happens multiple times in the distribution chain before it hits the shelves unless its hand loaded. If it wasnt a problem for all the other rounds you can bet it wont be bad for yours.

This is right in line with the guys that are leery of putting their ammo through a vibratory cleaner, and insist on humidifier rod and packets and all kinds of special care of their ammo for storage in the home. Where their kids live. An afternoon working on a freight cross dock would clear up a lot of misconceptions.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Two things have happened to me, first a few years ago I had (still do) a leaded Glock-22 standard fifteen round magazine in a Fobus mag and flashlight holster, in my vehicle, stuck in between my console and my drivers seat.
    I went to fetch it one day and it was frozen solid. I just took it inside to thaw out and put it back.

Last month, I went to the range with my wife and granddaughter, they wanted to shoot my wife's G-42 .380, and I went to get a single fifty round box of Perfecta .380 ammo out of my vehicle trunk.
    I did, it was frozen solid in Ice, somehow getting wet at one time.
    I took it into the indoor range, smacked the box smartly once on the concrete floor, loaded and they fired all fifty frozen rounds no problems.

Top Bottom