Choice of 308 deer hunting round weights?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Just curious what bullet weights for a 308 round would be considered a good deer hunting round. This would be out of my bolt action rifle. I have shot most weights from 150 to 200 and at a 100 yards I pretty much hit where I aim at. I have no problem keeping them in a 1 1/2" circle. I do want at some time to start really working on loads and such to make "match" rounds, but for now I am just interested in getting 100 rounds reloaded that would be good hunting rounds. Is there a sort of a standard bullet weight that folks prefer for deer hunting? Also is there a preference on SP, HP etc.

If it makes any difference, the rifle is a 22" barrel, with 1:10 twist. Any hunting I would do would be at closer ranges 100-300 yards, no 800 yard shots for me :>)

There are so many offerings, and I assume most would do the job, but I am in the learning stages right now.

I am open to any suggestions and advice.

Thank you,

Ron

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Just so I’m sure I understand, you’re not going for accuracy with your existing rifle- not working up a custom load.

You’re just wanting an all around serviceable hunting projectile recommendation in .308 that would work for deer.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    You’re just wanting an all around serviceable hunting projectile recommendation in .308 that would work for deer.

Yes, your way is a much better way to state it. I just want to get some serviceable rounds together to have on hand for hunting, and of course I would be shooting some of them at the range to practice with. I do plan on reloading these as consistent as I am able to, being as accurate as I can be with my powder loads.

As I gain more experience reloading, my goal will be to create custom loads that are accurate in my rifle.

Ron

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    It's a little out of the ordinary, but I am using Barnes 130gr TTSX bullets. The only thing I have shot with it so far is coyote, but I have no doubt it will do a number on deer.

thephasdin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    Terre Haute
    Hornady softpoints are good for your purpose. With the 1:10 twist I would prefer heavier 168 or 175 gr, but at short ranges I assume 150gr will do too.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I like the 165 gr Federal Sierra Gameking (P308C) for hunting

I use the 168 gr Fed Sierra Matchking (GM308M) for practice and at training classes.

The Gameking has been killing animals for a pretty long time and it killed a deer for me this year.

I bought a box of 20. If I average 2 deer a year, that box should last me 10 years ;) So, I think I'll just stick with this round.

thephasdin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    Terre Haute
    I like the 165 gr Federal Sierra Gameking (P308C) for hunting

I haven't had much luck on paper with Sierra Gameking projectiles. Seems like my group triples in size compared to Matchkings. It might not matter much when it comes to hitting a deer's vitals. Have you experience large deviation like this on your rifle?

Last edited:

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Inside 300 yds, I don’t think it is going to make a whole lot of difference.

My guess is you will be grouping 5” or less, and your biggest struggle will be in correctly ranging to your target for appropriate holdover or windage adjustments.

The data for .308 is out there in abundance so regardless of what you choose, you should be able to humanely harvest a deer with some practice at your expected ranges.

You don’t mention where you plan to hunt. Many states require soft point bullets, so I’d probably go that route if I were planning on visiting a few different states. Or look up the most restrictive regs for states you might hunt.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Maybe this won't help much but when I showed up in deer camp in Goodland Minnesota with something other than a 30-30, my uncles took me to the hardware store to buy some 308 ammo for my fancy rifle. I was 14. it was 1965. The buck I shot in the little green swamp dropped like a rock. I still don't know what the ammo was that I used when I was 14. I have never stressed over ammo for deer. I am pretty sure one of my Uncles took a deer every year with his M1 Garand and military FMJ 30.06 ammo. Boy could Dudley ever put away a bottle of whiskey......

Last edited:

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have had great results using the 165 grain Sierra Gameking soft point on deer. The specific load I use is the Federal Premium vital shock loading. They also offer a tipped version as well I believe.

I have done fairly extensive testing with the Barnes TSX bullet line, and I have been impressed on their performance and BC. I wouldn't hesitate to try them as well.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I haven't had much luck on paper with Sierra Gameking projectiles. Seems like my group triples in size compared to Matchkings. It might not matter much when it comes to hitting a deer's vitals. Have you experience large deviation like this on your rifle?

Interesting. I have not. They pattern pretty much the same for me, which is why I like that combo so much.

I will say, I'm not super OCD about groups, though. The holes don't have to be touching or anything like that for me since that is accuracy not able to be replicated by me in any practical field condition (i.e., no bench, unlimited time, etc.)

I'm shooting mine out of a Remington 700 Magpul edition

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Pretty much any of the 150-165 grain cup-n-core bullets, or any of the premium/bonded bullets from 125 grains on up will work. Deer aren't all that hard to kill, provided you can place your shot well enough under hunting conditions. I load the Hornady 165 gr Interlock for my son's 308 and use Accubond bullets in a couple of other cartridges.

If you're not getting the Gameking bullet to group, it's something you're doing wrong...not the bullet. Reloaders today have it pretty easy because components are so good. You almost can't go wrong. The biggest challenge is choosing from such a big variety of great options.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Another + 1 for "The Broom"...

Pretty much any of the 150-165 grain cup-n-core bullets, or any of the premium/bonded bullets from 125 grains on up will work. Deer aren't all that hard to kill, provided you can place your shot well enough under hunting conditions. I load the Hornady 165 gr Interlock for my son's 308 and use Accubond bullets in a couple of other cartridges.

If you're not getting the Gameking bullet to group, it's something you're doing wrong...not the bullet. Reloaders today have it pretty easy because components are so good. You almost can't go wrong. The biggest challenge is choosing from such a big variety of great options.

For ME in the .308/30-06 caliber range I like the 165-168gr. bullets. The main thing (as Broom stated) is staying with a Bonded style projectile that will stay together. My personal preference comes, for hunting in the Speer (Hot Core), Hornady (InterLock). Nosler (Partition) bullets, in that order.
    I guess if a Hunter was shooting in heavy brush, or longer ranges (+200yds.) I would opt for a 175gr. in those brands, models.

The key here is to remember, for the most part, a hunting projectile is designed totally different than a Target/Match bullet. Most Match bullets will not hold together for a quick/clean kill.

As always ANOTHER ++ to Broom_jm....Bill.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I use mostly Hornady 150 grains interlock, mainly because I have several hundred, and my rifle shoots them accurately. They work well on deer.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I use Hornad 150 grain interlock bullets. They work fine, and I got 500 free with a press I bought years ago. My load shoots just north of 1 MOA which is a dead deer as far as I will need to shoot. I wouldn't over think it, a whitetail is not a cape buffalo.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I use Hornad 150 grain interlock bullets. They work fine, and I got 500 free with a press I bought years ago. My load shoots just north of 1 MOA which is a dead deer as far as I will need to shoot. I wouldn't over think it, a whitetail is not a cape buffalo.

I've been using Hornady's 165 SST's in both the 308 and 30'06 and have very good results.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Wow! Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions. Looks like I have lots of options. I will take some notes and when I get to my supplier I will try and match them up to their stock.

I think "overthinking it" was spot on.

After I get the bullets, I will load 10 or so each, with some different powder charges and see which my gun likes the best. I have lots to learn but this helps a lot!

Thanks again,

Ron

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The old school way was always heavy for caliber for hunting rounds. This is not as common now as it was in the past because bullet tech has improved.

When I got the notes manuals dies and some components ect from an older handloader who had past I have found his old school approach to stuff very informative. “One note said ugly rounds shoot just as well as pretty rounds.” “Brass that shines just looks nicer”. Most of his notes under caliber had tons of info and loads/rifles listed listed. 308 had two loads listed and ten guns listed. one for Speer 180’s one for REM core loc 180’s . Notes under the core loc load said expands nicely almost as accurate as the speer. It also stated ordering 1000 core loc’s from midway. “Nice inexpensive round that preforms above what it costs to make others. “ 30-06 had just the 180 core loc listed. Notes said “ works well on mule deer” had three rifles listed.

I have his savage 99 308. I had his rem core loc 180’s in the components. I have ordered more of the core locs in 180 but they was a few years they were not available. They expand very nicely and work well in a couple browning 308 the savage and a rem 700. Just because they don’t cost a lot does not mean they are not above the curve.

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    I don't load a 308 but I do a 300 savage which is very similar. Like broom said I use plain jane cup and core 150's around 2500fps mostly sierra pro hunter because the short neck on the 300. In a 30/06 same thing around 2700fps. If I was going to travel to hunt out of state probably go with a faster load and nosler partions.

Top Bottom