• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've been studying my Lyman 5th edition for the past week now and have decided to use Remington uni-body hulls 20ga 3in with bismuth shot in my 1100 lt20 full choke for hunting. The load I was looking at is 800x 18gr, Win 209 primer, one Rem SP20 using a 1oz load. I was also looking at 16ga Winchester compression formed hulls with lead shot using 800x 20gr, Win 209 primer, one Rem SP16 and a 1 1/8 oz load.

I come to understand that these hulls being one piece designed with no separate base wad will last many more reloadings than those with a paper or plastic base wad. If this is true what current ammo offerings by Remington in 20ga 3in and Winchester 16ga 2 3/4 can I buy to get these hulls. I figure might as well buy the ammo shoot it and save the hulls. Practice makes perfect.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I will share what I know. Shells with paper base wads can require more powder to obtain the same velocities as shells with plastic or no base wads. In terms of newer shells the only company I know of that still uses a paper base wad in some of their shells is Federal.

Edit: Looking through some of my 12 gauge hulls there are a few Estate hulls with paper base wads. I am not sure how old they are.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    My understanding is that most newer hulls have the base wad formed as part of the plastic hull. I have never had an issue with a hull wearing out because of the plastic base wad separating it is always the crimped end of the shell that fails at the folds of the crimp after several reloads.

Not sure if this really helps or not. I have been reloading shotgun shells since the late eighties. For trap and skeet and not for hunting. Never messed around close to max loads or anything.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Federal Gold Medal is a one piece design:

9279377804_5f70111955_o.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I reload 16 ga and use rem game load hulls, the black ones, loaded about 5000 over the last 3 years for trap.

About how many reloads do you get out of them before they start going down hill? I'm going to be using 2 old lee loaders since I'm not a high volume shooter and the 16 ga is a fairly old family heirloom so don't want to use as I would one of my pistols at the range.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    About how many reloads do you get out of them before they start going down hill? I'm going to be using 2 old lee loaders since I'm not a high volume shooter and the 16 ga is a fairly old family heirloom so don't want to use as I would one of my pistols at the range.

about six reloads, then I trim them down to 2 1/2 inch for my older guns, then toss. usually the fifth and sixth reloads are saved for when I shoot pasture trap with my family and not at the trap range.

Top Bottom