• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In theory, yes.

All the seasoned casters will say to slug your barrels and size .001/.002 larger. Leaning towards .002 bigger than bore diameter is better to insure there is no gas blow by which is the cause of leading.

I have not loaded my own cast for .357, nor have I slugged them. My 9mm barrels are all modern in new guns, they all slugged the same. .357 would be the appropriate size for me, the same as a lot of other PC/cast boolit shooters.

I ultimately ended up sizing to .356 to gain the most OAL on my cast loads. Boolit ogive with PC can be problematic for OAL and plunk testing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It comes back to slugging your barrels. How many barrels do you have to slug? .375 muzzle loader balls work well or appropriately sized fishing barrel weights. I can send you some balls, if you need them.

Last edited:

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    My Sig P226 barrel measures .3561", after slugging. I have been using powder coated bullets (from Bayou Bullets) sized to .357" for my Sig 9mms. They shoot great at that size. You do need to test whether that size bullet chambers in your gun, though. Load a .357" bullet into a 9mm case (dummy round w/o powder) and see if it chambers ok.

For a 38/357. you would need to size the bullets to .358", MIN. You will most likely need two different sizes. The bullets for the revolvers will differ from the 9mm auto bullets, anyway. The revolver bullets will have a crimp groove, usually.

One important point. Once you determine the bullet size needed, do not use Lee's Factory Crimp Die (FCD). The last step actually sizes the loaded cartridge. If you go the the trouble of sizing the bullet to fit the bore, the FCD will negate your work. It will size the loaded round, thus the bullet, to the nominal diameter. If you are using cast bullets, this could negatively impact your accuracy. I rarely use a FCD and NEVER use one for any of my cast/swaged bullet loads.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    " I can send you some balls, if you need them."

It comes back to slugging your barrels. How many barrels do you have to slug? .375 muzzle loader balls work well or appropriately sized fishing barrel weights. I can send you some balls, if you need them.

^^^I'm thinking about a new Sig. line??...HA HA HA..

As to the OP..I cast+Powder Coat 9MM+.38/.357..

On my favorite 9MM RN 125gr. mold, they drop out @ .356". I Power Coat @ that size. After PC I run them through a .357" sizer die.
    Yes, this does make the ogive contact when seated to suggested OAL, in all EXCEPT my Glock factory barrels. I do back down on the powder charge slightly to account for the projectiles seated depth to avoid pressure spikes, in all EXCEPT my Glock Factory barrels.

On my favorite .38/.357, 158gr. RNFP mold, they drop out @ .3575". I Powder Coat @ that size. After PC I run them through a .358" sizer die.
    These run well in my S&W and Colt revolvers, when seated/crimped on the crimp groove.

For ME...I do not think that I will go back to wax lubed cast bullets when I can shoot Powder Coated...Bill

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom