• ...and so much more!
  • mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey Ya’ll....
    I bought a 5 gal bucket of .223 unprocessed brass, I’m looking to see what everyone is using for a case trimmer. Ive never done this amount at a time, I would just measure each case and load them in batches, plus don’t feel like measuring 3700 rounds of brass.
    Also what’s the thought of storing primed brass??
    Thank you for your input

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    First things first...

Congrats for that amount of brass!!
    Now the work begins...More than likely you have many cases with crimped primers..

Do yourself a favor get one of these:https://www.dillonprecision.com/super-swage-600_8_8_25263.html
    You WILL thank me later..

When I process .223/5.56 I sort per headstamp. Some here will say that is a waste of time. I will tell you that different headstamps have different case web thickness. You do need to adjust your Dillon Super Swage for the different case web thicknesses or you can under swage or over swage.
    Even some non-crimped brass gets swaged by me, due to VERY tight primer pockets..==Some that comes to mind are: GFL, S&B, Hornady, ect.

For ME I trim with Little Crow WFT Trimmer. IMO=Best "Bang" for the Buck.

I usually work 500 count at a time:

1. Primer Pocket
    a. Swage
    b. De-burr with case chamfer tool
    c. Brush out carbon
    d. De-burr/uniform flash hole

2. Size Process
    a. Stand up about 75 cases in a .99 GoodWill pencil box and spray the tops with Hornady One Shot. Close box + Shake for 3 min. or so. Let dry for TEN Min. Spray inside of sizer die. Let stand upright TEN Min. to dry.
    b. Size with QUALITY Size die.

3. Trim Process
    a. Trim to 1.750" (I use the WFT trimmer)...You WILL find some cases that are under 1.750" after size, and before trim. Redding + RCBS size
    dies have a Carbide Expander button available that REALLY makes things go smoother.
    b. Chamfer/de-burr case mouth
    c. Throw into case cleaner to remove lube and polish

As you can see...Brass processing has many steps to be done correctly...Bill

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    As billybob said I use the same method and equipment. The Dillon Super Swage will save you a huge amount of time and I use the WTF trimmer because it can chuck right into a drill or better yet a drill press ( would recommend getting one), if not a drill works okay.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Giraud or Gracey are going to be about the only way you'll want to tolerate trimming that number of casings.

I don't store that kind of numbers of primed brass, simply because I might have to CHANGE primers sometime in the future, and that locks me down to only one type. It's a stupid idea unless you are 103.9% sure you won't change anything about the load you intend to use.

Totally agree with the posts above about buying a QUALITY swaging setup. Reaming, on that scale, is not really an option, and swaging is better anyway because it helps to further work harden the case head. It's a TINY difference, but hey, we know for a fact that reaming can ONLY weaken the case because it removes material, so why not swage and get what you can?

-Nate

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    If you find brass that measures too low to trim you can use for 300 blackout, 7.62x25 or others. I have a separate bucket for my 223 brass that falls way below the trim length for use in my 7.62x25 pistols.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Thank you all for the input!
    I actually did get the sewage tool from my buddy I bought the brass from, that thing is a life saver. I have the Lyman case prep machine and it takes for ever to do the military crip.
    I’ll look into the case trimmer... looks like a nice unit

Top Bottom