• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I’m looking around at used Dillon presses, considering either a square deal b or 650, with various reasons for me to consider both. Question: Are there any features that have changed over the years that I should be aware of?

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I know you have researched this, so excuse me if I am being Mr. Obvious, no insult is intended, but the downside to the Square Deal is the use of proprietary dies. Not a huge deal, but that would kill it for me.

I don't have the exact answer for you, but for all intents and purposes, most changes are minor and the basic design is the same. I know the 550 had a frame change where they beefed up the unit, and that is a fairly significant change. Not sure with the XL650 or the square deal.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I know you have researched this, so excuse me if I am being Mr. Obvious, no insult is intended, but the downside to the Square Deal is the use of proprietary dies. Not a huge deal, but that would kill it for me.

I don't have the exact answer for you, but for all intents and purposes, most changes are minor and the basic design is the same. I know the 550 had a frame change where they beefed up the unit, and that is a fairly significant change. Not sure with the XL650 or the square deal.

Yep, the low entry cost washed out the separate die consideration. I think I can come up with a used SDB with 3 conversions/dies for $550+\- . With no intent to ever reload rifle, it’s hard to justify twice that for a case feeder. If I go SDB route, I’ll be able to keep the 3 die sets I currently use on my Lee turret for small volume load workup. I’m for sure open to other approaches, but that’s what I’ve come up with thinking over my needs.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have a SDB, it's probably about 10 years old (gift from a friend), looking at the new ones you can tell there's a couple differences but nothing serious and AFAIK the older presses are "updateable".

Using proprietary dies, meh, it's a slick little press and I love reloading on it, not a deal breaker

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I have a SDB, it's probably about 10 years old (gift from a friend), looking at the new ones you can tell there's a couple differences but nothing serious and AFAIK the older presses are "updateable".

Using proprietary dies, meh, it's a slick little press and I love reloading on it, not a deal breaker

I bought a SDB from a guy at work that came with 9, 45, 40, 38/357 dies and the whole shebang plus another $100 in extras for $400. It was from 1987 and Dillon did the upgrades no charge. I only had to pay shipping. I can't remember what all of the were but they updated the powder measure, primer unit and some other minor stuff.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I bought a SDB from a guy at work that came with 9, 45, 40, 38/357 dies and the whole shebang plus another $100 in extras for $400. It was from 1987 and Dillon did the upgrades no charge. I only had to pay shipping. I can't remember what all of the were but they updated the powder measure, primer unit and some other minor stuff.

I like that deal even better than what I figure it’ll take to put together a setup. Looks like there’s not much downside to any year model. Appreciate the thoughts.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I like that deal even better than what I figure it’ll take to put together a setup. Looks like there’s not much downside to any year model. Appreciate the thoughts.

I ended up getting the cost of what I really wanted down to around $275. I would look at Gb as I seen some when I was checking prices compared to what he had and there were several that started at sub 300 and ended around 375.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    you should also consider the 550.
    1) uses standard dies
    2) more versatile than SDB
    3) easier to use than a 650

^^^+1 Here..

My 25+ year old RL550 works out fine for me..With my 15 or so die blocks set up for different calibers switch over is VERY easy.
    I do not need the speed (or problems that comes with it) of a 650, and I do prefer the manual indexing of the 550..And YES, I have loaded on a 650. (also on a 1050 for that matter).
    If I were to add on to my system, it would another 550, so I would not have to switch over primer systems when I go from small primer to large primer.

Another Each to His Own here...Bill.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    ^^^+1 Here..

My 25+ year old RL550 works out fine for me..With my 15 or so die blocks set up for different calibers switch over is VERY easy.
    I do not need the speed (or problems that comes with it) of a 650, and I do prefer the manual indexing of the 550..And YES, I have loaded on a 650. (also on a 1050 for that matter).
    If I were to add on to my system, it would another 550, so I would not have to switch over primer systems when I go from small primer to large primer.

Another Each to His Own here...Bill.

You have my gears turning. Why would you prefer manual indexing? That’s the one feature that is swinging my away from the 550.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    With no intent to ever reload rifle.

once said by probably 75% of people currently loading rifle....

You have my gears turning. Why would you prefer manual indexing? That’s the one feature that is swinging my away from the 550.

it's no big deal. you should be looking in EVERY case for proper powder level prior to placing the bullet regardless of machine and not trusting the mechanics. Approx 250k loaded on my 550 and never a squib or double.

If you have to stop the process (eg due to smashed primer or something), the 550 is easier to turn back to the right setup to continue compared to the auto index.

I wouldn't go SDB unless you find a screaming deal. 550 so much more versatile.

-rvb

Last edited:

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I’m more open to a 550, taking a closer look at the one for sale in the classified here. Even manual indexing will be a major improvement vs the Lee I’m using now. 1 pull=1 round sounds appealing indexing or not.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We have 2 550's and a 650.
    The manual indexing is nice at times, and a missed primer or when you forget to put a bullet on is easy to get back into rotation.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I’m more open to a 550, taking a closer look at the one for sale in the classified here. Even manual indexing will be a major improvement vs the Lee I’m using now. 1 pull=1 round sounds appealing indexing or not.

oh yea, major improvement. I can do 500 rounds in 50 minutes w/o working too hard on the 550 (no casefeeder). you wont do that pace right out of the box, but once you get your rhythm down it'll start to go quicker. learn to be efficient... while right hand is pulling the handle, the left is picking up a bullet. while the left hand is indexing, the right is picking up a case.

Just LOOK IN EVERY CASE before you set the bullet on top. I don't trust things like powder checks. w/ the 550 I index it, LOOK at the powder level, PLACE the bullet, and PULL the handle. If LOOK/PLACE/PULL happen without interruption and you are paying attention, you'll never have a squib/double. any time there is an interruption (crushed primer, kids, wife, etc) get back to the point you are ready to Look/Place/Pull.

It'll serve you well for years, incl when you eventually think about the performance/cost you can gain w/ rifle ammo...

-rvb

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Looking in each case has long been part of my process with the Lee. No biggie there. With 3 boys, I never have any interruptions. (Couldn’t get the purple to work for that last sentence)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I enjoyed my square deal. Picked it up used with three die sets, two powder dropers, parts kit, fist full of tool changover plates for a couple hundred bucks. It made some good ammo. Huge fan of auto indexing.

Sold it to Bobcat and he sent me a new 650 with a few goodies. Pleased as punch so far. Bigger machine has more room to work and more leverage.

I would say it boils down to room you have, budget, future hand loading plans. Mine is set up for 9 and I dont ever plan on touching it. RCBS turret on the side for playing.

Buying used gets you more bang for your buck. You can always sell it for what you paid no matter how much you used it. Give Bobcat a call and keep you eye on classy adds. Have cash ready they go quick.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I did stop at Bobcat yesterday. He has a SDB with a couple die sets that weren’t a match for my needs. Not a bad deal, though. After looking at configuring it with new dies/conv for my needs, the price was close enough to new that I passed for now. Probably par for course w Dillon. The 550 here has my interest. It’s also priced close to new, but includes a strong mount and maybe an extra conversion. We’ll see.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Visual check on rifle cases too? No powder check for bottleneck cases either?

yup. good lighting helps. I usually tip them towards me a bit.
    I'm a lot slower loading rifle, 1 because have to give the powder a little more time to flow and 2 to check in the case... I maybe only do 250/hr.

-rvb

Top Bottom