• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Now that I have a 550, I’m still waiting for conversions and a few other parts before I can get started playing around. Question: I have Lee 3 die sets for 380, 40, and 38/357. I’m guessing the resizing/depriming die and bullet seating die are all I will mount in the toolhead? The powder die/funnel is part of the conversion, right? That’s 3/4 toolhead holes used. Does the 4th just remain unused in absence of factory crimp?

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    And if I’m correct about one position being open on the toolhead, is there anything keeping me from adding a powder check die?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I use a crimp die so my 4th station is used, but after the powder die you can add your powder check die and the 4th station would be your seating die. Otherwise your 4th station will be open.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    It would be difficult to use station 4 for a seating die, odd angle to reach for setting the bullet in the case at any rate.

Forget the powder check die, buy the LED skylight from Inline Fabrication and you'll see every grain of powder in that case when it drops it completely transforms that press having the light kit on it words don't do it justice and it's relatively inexpensive to add.
    https://inlinefabrication.com/products/skylighttm-led-lighting-kit-for-the-dillon-550

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I use LEE dies in my 650. I find their decapping pins to be strongest. I prefer to seat and crimp separately, so I use a Lee factory crimp die as well.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    This is how I have my Lee dies set in my 550
    Station 1 where the case is inserted- sizing die
    station 2 The Dillon powder funnel and powder die/ powder measure
    station 3- seating die add bullet here
    station 4- factory crimp die

They work just as good as my Dillon sets Congrats on the new press enjoy

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Since my Lee seats and crimps with same die, in #3 position, just leave #4 open? Come to think of it, my Lee turret has always been set up with an open hole. Can’t wait to get this thing cranking out ammo!

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Since my Lee seats and crimps with same die, in #3 position, just leave #4 open? Come to think of it, my Lee turret has always been set up with an open hole. Can’t wait to get this thing cranking out ammo!

Yep that is how you would set it up. I use the 4 die set with the 3 die set 4th would be open.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I bought Dillon Dies when I picked up my 650. I like the fact its easy to clean them(pull a pin and business parts of die drop out) but the Lee's ability to adjust seating depth and stuff w/o loosening the Jam Nut made it very nice! I'll see, but I think I actually prefer the Lee stuff at this point.

To the rest of your quesitons...I think they've been answered.

I say buy the inline fabricaton light kit(Atterbury has them in stock....Bobcat probably does too in Shelbyville) AND the powder check die if you have a spot for it. I actually have a friend that has one he isn't using anymore if you're interested(he was disappointed I already bought one as he had gotten Mr Bulletfeeder for Christmas and can't use it anymore in his 650.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I seat in the #4 station. Put the bullet on in #3 and rotate

before I had a powder check die I did the exact same, things work out better for my big fat fingers.

But, After a time and I bought my first set of dillon dies I started converting everything over to Dillon. It didn't help that I had a sizing ring fall out of a lee die. and I like the taper crimp of the dillon vs the roll crimp of the Lee.

I also ran into an issue on some custom guns that the Lee dies didn't resize down to the base well enough. I used a course sharpening stone and took as much off the bottom of the Lee die as I could but it just wasn't enough.

My initial fix was to only use nickled brass in my revolver and "brass" brass in my auto. and that worked for a while. But the dillon dies were the ultimate fix.

Also I'm lazy so I give my pistol brass a kiss of Hornady 1 shot

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Add the extra die..

Be sure that the outer part of your seater die is backed off so it does Not try to crimp on die block #3 position.

^^^Dillon/most all progressives recommend that you seat + crimp with separate dies. You can use the Lee Factory Crimp die, or most any other seating die with the seater stem backed out or removed.

Another small tip: Be SURE that all FOUR positions of your conversion plate has a case in it when you are making most any adjustments to your dies.. Even with your conversion plate adjusted correctly you will get some differences in OAL if you do not have an empty case in the sizer die position.

With (the preferred) Dillon Die sets you will get: 1. Sizer/de-cap die, 2. Seater die, 3. Crimp die, (Roll crimp for revolver dies/taper crimp for the semi-auto calibers)

With Lee products you get what you pay for..The same holds true for Dillon products..Dillon dies just work best in Dillon presses...YMMV....Bill

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It would be difficult to use station 4 for a seating die, odd angle to reach for setting the bullet in the case at any rate.

Forget the powder check die, buy the LED skylight from Inline Fabrication and you'll see every grain of powder in that case when it drops it completely transforms that press having the light kit on it words don't do it justice and it's relatively inexpensive to add.
    https://inlinefabrication.com/produc...the-dillon-550

This^^^^

That little light really does make a huge difference. I use mostly Lee dies and use station #4 for a crimp die on my 9mm, .40, .45 and 10mm. I'll have to check my .380 tool head as it's been a long time since I've reloaded .380.

But, seriously consider buying that light. It made a huge difference in running the press to me.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Wanted to add - on a couple of the dies we went to the hardware store and bought thinner nuts. Seemed to help. 7/8's if I'm remembering

Top Bottom