• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I just came across a box of empty 38 short colt brass. Not sure where it came from, but I’d like to reload these and shoot it in the family heirloom 38 s&w revolver.

1) Any reason not to shoot 38 short colt out of this gun? I can’t see this as any different than 38spl in 357mag.

2) None of my references have a published load for this cartridge. Any direction there?

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    That is up to you on if you want to shoot the revolver. It is perfectly safe to shoot it out of that revolver. If it is a keepsake, I'm not sure if I would want to shoot it. If you are just wanting to shoot it a few times, why wouldn't you just buy a couple boxes of ammo? Remington and Fiocchi both make factory ammo. Remington Target .38 Short Colt 125 Gr. Lead Round Nose- Box of 50

Hodgdon data shows 2 different bullets with about 5 different powders. Set your sights on pistol reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Lots of competition shooters are shooting Short Colts in S&W 627 revolvers. I shot them for a while, no issues. Use standard 38/357 size die and 9mm or 38 super seat and crimp die.
    Case volume is same as 9 mm and we used 9mm load data with .357/.358 bullets.
    If the revolver is really old might want to stay with light loads.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    That is up to you on if you want to shoot the revolver. It is perfectly safe to shoot it out of that revolver. If it is a keepsake, I'm not sure if I would want to shoot it. If you are just wanting to shoot it a few times, why wouldn't you just buy a couple boxes of ammo? Remington and Fiocchi both make factory ammo. Remington Target .38 Short Colt 125 Gr. Lead Round Nose- Box of 50

Hodgdon data shows 2 different bullets with about 5 different powders. Set your sights on pistol reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading

Why wouldn’t I want to just buy a box or two? That would be too easy! I had not thought about shooting them out of a 627, but now I want to try that, too.

That Hodgdon online load calculator was just saved. Thanks much for that!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The 38 short Colt is a heeled bullet cartridge and your revolver for it is probably bored .375 making it too large for conventional .358 bullets. I have the same problem with my 1877 Colt lightning in 38 Colt. A solution that I tried, described in a post a few weeks ago involved bumping up soft .358 HBWC bullets. I settled for 4 inch groups at 25 yards with this gun. Date your gun if possible using the Colt date of manufacturing web site before loading ammo for it, there is a transition in metals during the 1890s which makes a significant change in the strength of the guns.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    The 38 short Colt is a heeled bullet cartridge and your revolver for it is probably bored .375 making it too large for conventional .358 bullets. I have the same problem with my 1877 Colt lightning in 38 Colt. A solution that I tried, described in a post a few weeks ago involved bumping up soft .358 HBWC bullets. I settled for 4 inch groups at 25 yards with this gun. Date your gun if possible using the Colt date of manufacturing web site before loading ammo for it, there is a transition in metals during the 1890s which makes a significant change in the strength of the guns.

Interesting. I have dated the gun...if memory serves, it’s post 1900, but I’ll check again because I have two similar old 38 revolvers with different dates and different historical facts associated with each...the years are muddy but think I’d remember one being 18–something.

I’m probably still inclined to leave this be. I was just thinking for not much more than a box or two of ammo, Lee sells a die set and would have some fun both loading and shooting this thing. Neat stuff!

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    38 S&W is a slightly larger case and bore than 38 short colt or 38 special
    I have older Lyman reloading manuals that list loads for it.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_S&W

Good catch Mark.
    Most refer to any S&W revolver chambered in 38 special as a 38 S&W. Most of the time when someone brings one in to have worked on it is a model 10 or sometimes a J frame.
    Yes the 38 S&W(cartridge) is different than a Short Colt, Long Colt, or 38 Special.
    I have worked on lots of 38 S&W's but never any chambered in 38 S&W:):
    Actually I don't want to work on any as part would be difficult to find if needed.

Top Bottom