• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    I have received a Lee Load All I (NOT the 2nd gen, II). I have been looking around and people say you can change something about it to make it identical to the Lee Load All II. I've also read that you can change the Load All II to work for other gauges really easily, including 16 gauge. Any ideas on if its worth going that route (and possibly how to do it) versus getting something new and specific to 16 gauge?

Also of note: I have scales, some powder, and lots of primers. It's all probably 6-10 years old, any word on if it's good/safe?

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    The load all looks kinda cheap and flimsy but it works like a champ and can be converted to other gauges quickly and easily. I had been loading 12 gauge on a MEC for years and decided to try 16 and 20 gauge. The Lee Load All 2 was the cheap solution. The MEC is just a little faster but the Lee sizes high brass cases which the MEC I have won't do.

If you've stored the powder and primers properly they should be fine. I have some powder that's 30 years old and works great.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    you can find used lee load all in 16 ga for less then $50, I just retired mine in favor of a mec progressive. I like the crimp stations on the lee better then the mec, the resizing station not so much.

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    Looks like maybe I should just buy a new Load All 2 instead of trying to convert this one. I'd only save like 15 dollars anyway, and probably lose that to shipping!

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I am considering it for sure. I think it's a cheap investment. Is there any way to test my powders and primers safely without firing my gun? It's too cold to go to the range

If you have a reloader you could prime an empty shell and fire just the primer in your shotgun. Do it in the garage and wear hearing protection because it is still pretty loud. I have tested primers like that before. Obviously do not add anything to the shell other than the primer and do so at your own risk.

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    If you have a reloader you could prime an empty shell and fire just the primer in your shotgun. Do it in the garage and wear hearing protection because it is still pretty loud. I have tested primers like that before. Obviously do not add anything to the shell other than the primer.

Thanks I will do that. Can't test the powder but it's been stored in it's container so it should be dry

Top Bottom