• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I see where ATG currently has both Hydra-Shok and a cheaper ammo called "Hi-Shok". I own Hydra-Shok but this is the first I've seen Hi-Shok. The description on ATG's website makes it sound like an older gen ammo. There is no info on this cartridge on Federal's website. Can someone educate me on the difference? Is Hi-Shok worth buying?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    this is the first I've seen Hi-Shok. The description on ATG's website makes it sound like an older gen ammo. There is no info on this cartridge on Federal's website. Can someone educate me on the difference? Is Hi-Shok worth buying?

The "Hi-Shok" bullet is basically the Hydra-Shok design without the center post. It is loaded into the "Classic" ammo line on the commercial side and the "Tactical" ammo line on the LE side. Federal Tactical HP is the current duty round of several IN police departments.

IMO, both the Hi-Shok and the Hydra-Shok are old technology that have been eclipsed in performance by newer bullet designs, but if you can get a killer deal on some, go for it.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I see where ATG currently has both Hydra-Shok and a cheaper ammo called "Hi-Shok". I own Hydra-Shok but this is the first I've seen Hi-Shok. The description on ATG's website makes it sound like an older gen ammo. There is no info on this cartridge on Federal's website. Can someone educate me on the difference? Is Hi-Shok worth buying?

It is older generation technology, but still very good ammo. I am a particular fan of the 115 gr JHP, the 9BP round. This round set the standard for years, and still does, for consistently outstanding accuracy, and has a reputation for feeding reliably even in guns that like only ball. It's got a good stopping record, and is still a very good round for personal defense. It's not as good or advanced a bullet as the newer ones, but the newer ones cost at least a dollar a round. The 9BP is less than half that. At $19 per 50 vs $50 per 50, the 9BP is a round that lets you practice with what you are actually carrying, while providing very good protection. If I still had a 9mm this would by my preferred round, simply because of it's reliability, accuracy, proven good record, and ability to buy so much more of it for the same money as the newer rounds.

In the .38 Special +P rounds, the story is much the same. The 125 gr +P JHP has a very solid record, and the 158 gr +P LSWC-HP is still arguably the best choice for this caliber.

Same story for the other calibers. Good solid performers, with long proven track records. Not as good as modern ammo, but still very dependable.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The "Hi-Shok" bullet is basically the Hydra-Shok design without the center post. It is loaded into the "Classic" ammo line on the commercial side and the "Tactical" ammo line on the LE side. Federal Tactical HP is the current duty round of several IN police departments.

IMO, both the Hi-Shok and the Hydra-Shok are old technology that have been eclipsed in performance by newer bullet designs, but if you can get a killer deal on some, go for it.

Thanks Shooter and Joe. So, I've also got HST Tactical. Is the Hi-Shok the same as HST? Don't tell me HST stands for "Hi-Shok Tactical"???:dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Thanks Shooter and Joe. So, I've also got HST Tactical. Is the Hi-Shok the same as HST? Don't tell me HST stands for "Hi-Shok Tactical"???:dunno:

No, they aren't even close to the same. HST is a modern defense round, one of the best. If you've got 'em on hand and they work well from your gun, they are certainly the ones to carry.

Top Bottom