• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just ordered my second 500ct batch of pulled Federal 147gr HST bullets. The first batch received looked like one would expect for pulled bullets?

QXyEEtZ.jpg

Huh, 3 out of the first ten I sneaked out of the corner of the bag weren't the same thing. :dunno: Two were all together different and one has a different canelure. Guess I'll be separating and counting actual numbers...:n00b:

But, back to the original questions;

Think I should tumble these bullets to clean them up before loading?

What kind of a (preferably Titegroup) load should I start with to attempt the match standard Federal factory loading?

TIA :ingo:

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Federal shows the 147 grainer as a 1000fps load.

https://federalpremium.com/ammunition/handgun/family/premium-personal-defense/personal-defense-hst/

Hodgdon's load data only shows one 147gn load with TG using the XTP bullet, and it's topping out at 929fps.

Hornady's data shows a few loads at 1000 fps, and Speer also shows a few that are close to that, but you'll have to move down the burn rate chart to around the Power Pistol level or below to get what you're after.

https://www.speer-ammo.com/download...m_caliber_355-366_dia/9mm_Luger__147_rev1.pdf

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks for the info!

I notice the Federal factory HST loads have a very similar recoil impulse to my 140gr reloads at approx 900FPS.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    From some digging last night.....all of these are max loads so start at 10% below, watch for pressure signs as you work up, etc.....

Hornady supplied loads using their 147gr XTP at 1.100" col:

Power Pistol....5.1gr......1000fps
    Action Pistol....5.3gr......1000fps
    Blue Dot.........5.7gr......1000fps
    AA#7.............6.7gr......1000fps

Lyman 50th supplied data using the Speer 147gr TMJ at 1.115" oal:

Unique...........4.5gr.......1039fps
    Power Pistol....5.0gr.......1043fps
    N340.............4.4gr.......1012fps
    True Blue.......5.6gr.......1034fps
    HS-6.............5.8gr.......1046fps
    AA#7............7.2gr.......1014fps
    Blue Dot........6.6gr.......1052fps

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    For Me....

For the heavy for caliber handgun loads I kike PowerPistol and HS-6..
    Can reach the max speeds with these powders without the excessive pressures..
    You will also see the Double Charge case immediately=Not so much with TiteGroup..

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    As stated above I cannot get Tite group where you need it.

3.3 gr only gets 998fps out of 5 inch barrel at a 1.10 OAL. That is out of the book though it has worked for me.

Titegroup and 147 don't go together well.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I just ordered my second 500ct batch of pulled Federal 147gr HST bullets. The first batch received looked like one would expect for pulled bullets?

QXyEEtZ.jpg

Huh, 3 out of the first ten I sneaked out of the corner of the bag weren't the same thing. :dunno: Two were all together different and one has a different canelure. Guess I'll be separating and counting actual numbers...:n00b:

But, back to the original questions;

Think I should tumble these bullets to clean them up before loading?

What kind of a (preferably Titegroup) load should I start with to attempt the match standard Federal factory loading?

TIA :ingo:

Where did you get the HST pulled bullets?

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Bringing this thread back up to to share my findings using a related loading of the HST bullet.
    I recently purchased a chrono and did some testing of a few favorite reloads and my carry ammo.
    I'm using some slightly older Federal 147gr HST +P. Federal doesn't list this load anymore on their site....https://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/handgun/caliber/9mm-luger
    I bought a few boxes about 3 years ago and am almost ready to purchase some new stuff. This is the load I'm referring to...https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fed...hst-jacketed-hollow-point-p9hst4-p-58558.aspx

I tested the loads out of my 2 Rugers at the recommended 10' from the muzzle distance.
    Here's the 10 shot group results:

SR9 with a 4.14" barrel- 1055 fps average

LC9s with a 3.12" barrel- 985 fps average

BTW, for your info bwframe, Federal loads these at a OAL of 1.124 to 1.125....

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I tumbled some old 147 gr. 9mm HP bullets a few days ago. I used ground walnut media. There were granules of walnut in every bullet and are pretty much impossible to get out. Since I loaded these rounds for range use, not performance, it didn't matter. They got nice and shiny pretty quickly.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I still haven't loaded any of these. Other loading projects have been on the front burner. Please report back on your particulars and results!

Wondering if these would clean up in the wet tumbler (typically w/o media)? Is it even of any worth to clean them up?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I still haven't loaded any of these. Other loading projects have been on the front burner. Please report back on your particulars and results!

Wondering if these would clean up in the wet tumbler (typically w/o media)? Is it even of any worth to clean them up?
    Only worth cleaning them if you are OCD, like me and want them to look purty!

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    I use pulled bullets from American Reloading for uspsa. Most are covered in that gunk and all seem to shoot fine.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Only worth cleaning them if you are OCD, like me and want them to look purty!

That will be me. I'll try to clean a batch when they come in. Why- I don't know. :dunno:

Top Bottom