• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Anyone else use a metal detector to locate hard to find brass on the home Range?
    I was at a second hand store a few years ago and picked up a metal detector for $20 (talked the guy down from $30)
    It is actually quite enjoyable looking for the empties in the grass and my recovery rate is near 100%

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Yup, I do. Cheap Harbor Freight unit. Comes in handy finding stuff in the yard and gravel driveway too (like a missing bolt/nut off of the lawnmower etc.) It is kind of relaxing, isn't it?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I am not too worried about finding every piece of 9mm or 45 ACP but .45 Colt or 6.5 Grendel is a different story. if I know I am going to be shooting, I'll at least run the mower over the range first.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    When I'm shooting on private property, I put down a tarp. It's not 100%, but it sure does help. I have a very nice White's Spectrum metal detector and have considered using it to find the really rare brass that didn't land on the tarp, but just haven't drug it along yet. You don't want to lose a single .41 AE or .35 WSL case if you can help it, and at about $1 each for empties, it wouldn't take long to pay for a cheap metal detector like what you describe. And I'm sure it would be easy pickings compared to regular metal detecting.

Top Bottom