• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Was wondering if there are any difference when using a flat based FMJ bullet vs a concave/recessed bottom bullet to reload with? Will be reloading on a Hornady LnL progressive press.

Thanks,
    Art.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It would change the pressure but if you are using a loading manual with the proper bullet, the manual should adjust the charge accordingly.

Bullet weight, type and seating depth all contribute to the final outcome.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Supposedly, both are designed to shoot the same, but in some cases one will shoot better,this is due to the flat base having more bearing surface, I know in rifles for instance, my 22-250 likes a flare case over a boat tail.....you will have to load some of both and see if one gives you better groups

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Besides aiding in seating, I've never understood the whole boat tail concept.
    It would appear a flat base, with a larger bearing surface, would better catch the expanding gasses.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Besides aiding in seating, I've never understood the whole boat tail concept.
    It would appear a flat base, with a larger bearing surface, would better catch the expanding gasses.

The boat tail is for aerodynamics. It closes the air behind the bullet for a cleaner flight. That technology is used in all over the place. Have you seen these on the back of semi's? Boat tails. It really helps close the air in neatly behind the trailer, thus making it more aerodynamic, thus giving the truck better fuel economy.

1002682739-1002682741.jpg

JMitch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2015
    Greenwood
    My experience loading 9mm: flat based JHP (Precision Delta) are slightly more accurate than concave base FMJ (Everglades). But, not significant enough for my purposes to care. I believe the flat bases are a more consistent Bullet design and even distribution of pressure. Concave bases have more bearing surface but are susceptible to the lead melting/ vaporizing.

Top Bottom