New Federal Hydra-Shok "Deep" handgun load.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just ran across this.

https://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/handgun/family/personal-defense/hydra-shok-deep/

FP1535_P9HSD1_HydraShokDeep_BulletUpset_522x418.jpg

I'm just wondering why they bring redesign it when they have the HST? Marketing?

also, no word on if it's bonded either.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    As others have said, the name recognition. I head about hydrashocks from all kinds of people back in the day. They were swore by and swore at , heh.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay....just my $.02.

These are interesting me but not in the 9mm they are currently making.

I am looking at these as maybe a good solution for the .380. Myself and others have had hard times with .380 not wanting to cycle anything but hardball ammo or just a select few H.P.. These look like they would feed better due to nose shape and with the thin copper only front section you "may" actually get some reliable expansion out of them??

Any thoughts?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    "There are a lot of people who pick a load without adequately researching the ammo they trust their life on. The Federal Hydra-Shock is one such example. It was the whiz-bang bullet of its time, but has since been eclipsed by many other bullet designs." [1]

The Hydra Shok comes to us from 1989. Not a bad load comparatively, back then. But it did have some shortcomings (such as the tendency to not expand when fired through heavy clothing) that have been improved with other designs in the last 28 years.

Name recognition is a big thing. Some people pick a load, never look back and so are not informed about all the significant stuff that's gone on since the Miami Shootout. Some people don't do much research and rely on name recognition. Hence - marketing to those segments. But it's only a guess on my part.

[1] - https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Hydra-Shok has a hell of a reputation, this is an excerpt from Richard Marcinkos "Rogue Warrior" book essentially confirming that SEAL Team 6 at least for a time used the famous design. When I first started carrying I could not find any HST so I defaulted to Hydra-Shok based on the book alone (Yes I know I was not nearly as knowledge then as I am now).

LmkmFYVh.jpg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    ...literally blow a man's head off. Lulz. Something something artistic license something something...

Definitely a little embellished, but Rogue Warrior is definitely one of my favorite books. I believe it was on the required reading list for young naval officers for a while too.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    ...literally blow a man's head off. Lulz. Something something artistic license something something...

Definitely a little embellished, but Rogue Warrior is definitely one of my favorite books. I believe it was on the required reading list for young naval officers for a while too.

Thanks guys... now I'm going to have to get the book... 'custom made hot loads that could literally blow a mans head off'.

Sounds like some good nighttime reading... :yesway:

:ingo:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I was laughing at blow a man's head off also... But he even said "eleven clips" how can he said magazine when talking about his mp5 but when it comes to his pistol he's got "clips!"

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I was laughing at blow a man's head off also... But he even said "eleven clips" how can he said magazine when talking about his mp5 but when it comes to his pistol he's got "clips!"

Still the guy who invented and commanded SEAL Team 6.....

Top Bottom