• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    I’ve had some reloaders tell me this is a great way to get lube/gunk off cases for smoother loading and feeding with no ill effects. I’ve had others tell me this is a bad idea and I should instead invest the extra time to hand wipe each case instead.

Ive only tumbled my .223 loads and haven’t noticed any accuracy issues but that’s only out to 200 yards and I’m shooting a 10” plate atthat distance. I’ve not tumbled my 9mm or .45 since I’ve not had any issues with those loads and was told not to. I would like to tumble these as well since it seems to clean the rounds up very well. I have ceased all tumbling of loaded ammunition until I can get help from the community.

So so what say you, INGO Loaders?!

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I wipe each round I have reloaded with a clean dry cloth. I have heard that tumbling loaded ammunition is a bad idea as it can change the smokeless powder. Since I have never tumbled loaded ammo I don't really have any experiences to pass on. :twocents:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Tumble Away...

This is a topic that has been worked over and over..There is NO problems tumbling loaded ammo..

Others will chime in here to also tell you that it is safe and proper to clean after loading..Bill

PS: This is for Dry Tumble ONLY==Do NOT wet tumble loaded ammo..

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I vibratory cleaned many thousands of self loaded rounds to take off the bullet lube years ago. No issues.

Then I discovered coated bullets. No more of that extra step, thank you.

Last edited:

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I guess you can't believe everything you hear. :):

The ones who blew themselves up from tumbling live ammo don't post very often anymore. :dunno:

As near near as I can tell, there are those who tumble, deprime, tumble again, reload, and tumble.

Then there are those who just shake the dirt off and reload.

And a bunch in between.

I love the look of bright brass. But I hate breathing in all the airborne media when I'm running brass and media through my separator. And it's been cold lately, and I hate separating then going outside to open my separator, cause I usually don't bother with a coat.

And I'm one of those whose skin reacts with brass. So unless im wearing gloves, I'm going to have dull fingerprinty marks on my brass anyway.

At at the end of the day, the time suck of wiping each round of ammo would be far less for me than taking the time to tumble and separate. And I'm just going to shoot it and make it dirty again.

But if it gives you joy, please have at it enthusiastically!

High probability nothing will ever go wrong.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I havent tumbled my hunting loads in a long time. I usually wipe off the neck with a cloth that i cut cleaning patches from. If however , you like shiny brass, have at it.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    You can rest assured that tumbling loaded ammo in a vibratory tumbler will not change the powder or harm your rounds or yourself in any way. Someone actually tumbled loaded rounds for far longer than anything needed tumbled and checked it repeatedly throughout the process under a microscope to show that it was another internet myth.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I don't dig the idea of tumbling loaded ammo. Besides the danger factor the powder could break down.

I'm the dude who shakes the gravel bits off, fills them back up and heads for the range. :dunno:

Less time burglary the better

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I don't dig the idea of tumbling loaded ammo. Besides the danger factor the powder could break down.

I'm the dude who shakes the gravel bits off, fills them back up and heads for the range. :dunno:

Less time burglary the better

Except there is no danger and the powder doesn't break down even with days of tumbling.

Other than that I agree, bling isn't my thing.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Except there is no danger and the powder doesn't break down even with days of tumbling.

Other than that I agree, bling isn't my thing.

Hey I was a parts guy for many years. I have seen things that got rode around in a truck. You go do inventory and half the stuff is garbage.

No tumbling for me or keeping anything in my vehicles. Vibes tear stuff apart rather quickly.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You can rest assured that tumbling loaded ammo in a vibratory tumbler will not change the powder or harm your rounds or yourself in any way. Someone actually tumbled loaded rounds for far longer than anything needed tumbled and checked it repeatedly throughout the process under a microscope to show that it was another internet myth.

What if you have a super-vibrator?

Wait, what were we talking about?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    First off I do tumble some of my rifle rounds to get the lube off after loading and will continue to do so, but I will not go any longer than necessary. I have tumbled a couple of freshly loaded round for 24 hours a few years ago and then pulled the bullets. I found a definite breakdown of the size and shape of the powder and a color change. The powders burn rate is based not just on the composition of the powder, but the very specific size of the grains to include the hole size in the grains and coatings that speed or slow the combustion process. I did not fire them to check on any velocity changes. The powder was Varget and it was green to start and dark gray afterward and the grains had rounded off to almost spherical. Lyman vibratory tumbler.

Top Bottom