• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The parent case is 357 mag so I would not worry about brass if you want to find the dies and reload. I can not remember how many steps are required to turn the brass into 256. So brass to play with is easy to find. Now marked as 256 win mag most likely hard. Old western scrounger might have some. I have seen them have weirder stuff. Hornady makes dies new still.

Being a marlin fan my father found one and bought it and it had a few boxes of ammo with a few rounds each used. I found a nice little T/C barrel from fox ridge in the caliber and a 22 rem jet barrel and picked them up in a trade for the contender collection long ago. Last time one I saw any 256 win mag ammo on a shelf was before grunge rock existed. Even then it was most likely ordered for that one guy who had a model 62 marlin.

Nice idea’s both that did not come to market at the right time or in which there was no market and the old law of consumer demand killed it. It is like the 25-20 black powder round.

Being a rimmed cartridge makes it great in the marlin as it rests on the rim and marlins barrels are sometime a bit out of spec for round that rest on the shoulder. If I remember correctly 4227 powder was popular and I would think maybe lil gun might shine in that round.

Good of luck let me know if you get a chance to fire that marlin. Or if you are looking to sell it cheap or trade it for a “used GLOCK”
    That last sentence should be in purple.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The 256 Winchester from 357 Mag is a pretty involved process to make reliable brass and I like reforming brass. If you aren't going to be shooting a lot it would be worth buying preformed brass and a die set. The 256 Winchester dies are a little more expensive than most, let alone forming dies or other common dies used to form with like the 30 Luger.

Top Bottom