• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    So I was processing some 223 brass last night and I found a bunch of once fired FC brass mics out at 1.735 .....normally I trim to .750 , but .015 undersized my trip size......so I went to the SAAMI website they say case leanth 1.760 minus .030 .....
    I have all ready delegated this as practice ammo / range fooder...

Anyone else notice this with your FC brass or have any issues with it?

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    FC brass has loose primer pockets after a couple loadings but other then that theres no issues. And I wouldnt worry about the brass being a little too short. Load it and go.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I've used FC for years. I use it for match loads and every thing else. I get 3 - 4 reloads out of it. I've used CCI, Remington, and Federal primers without any jumping out. Full length sized and trimmed to 1.750 all day long.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    The FC that I have has a crimp in the primer pocket. I think it’s brass from the American Eagle my friends shoot.

I have 3-4 loadings on some of mine and so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Below the "ugly" of Federal brass, it is softer than many other brands of .223/5.56 brass and the flash hole web is thinner.

Meaning the primer pockets will stretch out of shape faster than other brands with higher pressure loadings.

And on the flip side Lake City 5.56 cases are made of harder brass and have thicker flash hole webs that add radial strength to the base of the case.

cYeTsDp.jpg

At AR15.com the moderator uses a 2 inch rod that is cup shaped at one end to fit over any flash holes burs. He then measures the cases and rejects any cases with thin flash hole webs.

And some Federal cases have thicker flash hole webs and are worth reloading and not worrying about gas leakage around the primer and a etched bolt face.

POsazjb.jpg

ohI86Bf.jpg

The photo below also came from AR15.com and the poster said he didn't worry about loose primer pockets and would just replace the bolt on his AR15 when it got bad enough. :ugh:

VMkEdYr.jpg

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Those are some interesting photos bigedp51. Thats some serious pitting on that bolt face. I'm going to make a measuring rod. Glad most of my once-fired is mostly all LC.

Thanks for the pics.

:ingo:

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Here is another trick I learned at AR15.com, you use a Lee depriming tool to check for loose primer pockets. If the primer moves with just finger pressure the case goes in the scrap brass bucket.

m1PlERq.jpg

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I scrap all FC brass. Rule for me is if there's any question it goes in the trash. Life is good. Guns are not cheap, body is priceless. Brass is free or really cheap. Go with quality and scrap them often.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I have been using a lot of S&B Primers and don't remember the primer pockets feeling oversize.
    When swaging primer pockets with the old RCBS tools I haven't noticed the FC brass feeling thinner that other brands.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    I have had an opposite problem: a lot of my FC has been crimped, making reaming it necessary, then putting primers in sometimes very difficult/wasteful. I use it for Blackout. PMC loads like a dream for me, but its never cheap!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have had an opposite problem: a lot of my FC has been crimped, making reaming it necessary, then putting primers in sometimes very difficult/wasteful. I use it for Blackout. PMC loads like a dream for me, but its never cheap!

I like PMC too. I buy when Cabelas has factory loaded on sale at 6 bucks a box with free shipping. Pay with my points and head for the range. Shoot and load for next to nothing.

Top Bottom