• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Since starting my "journey" back into handguns last May, I have bought several ammo buys off people.
    I don't look every day, but every once in awhile, then buy up everything available I need (bought about 6000 rounds of 22LR in a few days last month).
    I am now in the position of needing to sell some ammo I don't need.
    I sold both my .45 calibers and have a few hundred rounds left over, I had just bought a bunch also to run through my 1911, but am going to sell it sooner than I thought b/c of multiple unplanned gun purchases last month (including the 1911 :rockwoot:
    If the potential buyer of my Ruger SR 1911 that I just put in for sale last evening doesn't buy it up. (mentioned ammo available in ad)
    This afternoon I'm selling off a few boxes of .25 caliber b/c I'm selling my only .25 gun (Beretta) and will not buy that caliber again (unless a SS tempts me beyond control :dunno:).

For example, I have thousands of rounds of 9mm.
    Is it easier to try to trade for some of what you need more of (like 38 special) or just sell any ammo straight up and then look for what you need?
    I find that trading guns is economically more advantageous than just straight up selling and buying (loved my last 3 trades and have come out better with the other person happy also: win-win).

And, should I try an ad listing multiple types of ammo with different prices (I see that alot), or list the different calibers seperately.
    The only time that is irritating to me is when you must buy all of it and I don't want 2 of the 8 different types of ammo, so I have to let it go.
    And, it seems to be a wast of space if you only need to sell 1, 2 or 3 boxes for just a single ad.

It probably doesn't matter, but I love the inquiry. :laugh:

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    As often as you are trading and buying, you might consider keeping your leftover ammo for a while.
    So if you revisit a formerly owned caliber, you'll already have some ammo.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Imo, unless you paid under the lowest price per case for the ammo in question, just keep it. You are more than likely going to lose money or value on it.

Example. I can get .45auto ammo for .26 per. To make me buy yours, it's gonna have to be priced considerably less than that to make up for the gas money and time I would burn to come meet you. $.24 is not cheap enough to make me leave the house haha.

Now this isn't always true. Some people don't want or need cases of 1000 rounds and those people may pay closer to $.30

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Hold on to the 9mm.

You'll come back around to having one and needing it again.

Plus, if stored correctly, you can trade it / sell it if you need a quick influx of cash. Heck, if you have enough 9mm and find a willing trading partner, you could even trade it for another firearm.

keep tabs on the going rate at a site like ammoseek.com When I sell ammo, I look up the exact ammo that I have and find the cheapest price on it (and figure in shipping) and sell it for right around that price.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As often as you are trading and buying, you might consider keeping your leftover ammo for a while.

1. Understood: I just don't envision getting another .25 or a .45 (more likely a fun .45 buy, though)

Imo, unless you paid under the lowest price per case for the ammo in question, just keep it. You are more than likely going to lose money or value on it.
    Example. I can get .45auto ammo for .26 per. To make me buy yours, it's gonna have to be priced considerably less than that to make up for the gas money and time I would burn to come meet you. $.24 is not cheap enough to make me leave the house haha.

2. I always pay under the norm, but your .26 per on .45 auto is right there, and I would never sell a popular round like that below .25 cents/round.
    3. I would literally keep it to burn through at the range on a rental or buy a .45 for the short term to do the same.
    4. Sorry we will never do ammo business together, but your .24/round is righteous, wish I had bought at that price. :laugh:

Now this isn't always true. Some people don't want or need cases of 1000 rounds and those people may pay closer to $.30

Hold on to the 9mm.
    You'll come back around to having one and needing it again.
    Plus, if stored correctly, you can trade it / sell it if you need a quick influx of cash. Heck, if you have enough 9mm and find a willing trading partner, you could even trade it for another firearm.
    keep tabs on the going rate at a site like ammoseek.com When I sell ammo, I look up the exact ammo that I have and find the cheapest price on it (and figure in shipping) and sell it for right around that price.

5. I would never get rid of all the 9mm: I will always keep my Shield 9, and my even get educated about a better one (read about one the other day that piqued my interest)
    6. It's just that I would trade some of it for 38 special since I don't have much of it. I have more .380, and I don't need much of it, but that is what was available in a deal of ammo that I was glad to get.
    7. Thanks for the tip: I'll write it down in my planner.

8. I essentially do the same except I use a guide from looking at low/medium prices a Cabelas and selling under. I should be diligent in looking at a site like this.
    9. I started out buying at the range last May. :wallbash: Didn't last long b/c I knew they were a monopoly.
    10. I'm working on 2 deals now with trading a couple of guns I've got or some ammo: great idea!
    :thumbsup:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Agreed, unless you are shedding a caliber with absolutely no plans to come back to it, I'd keep it.

When I left 40 S&W behind I sold a ton of it off, but I knew I wasn't coming back, and as others had said, I bought it over time when prices were right and sold it below market, in quantity.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I hear you.
    With my "buy anything if the price is right" it is feasible that I'd get another .45.
    I've never bought a .40 but I did look at one the other day that the price was close (S/W also), that is how I ended up with the Shield .45: too good to pass up (only had $280 in it b/c of the ammo that came with it).
    I hope to shoot some .40 at the range rental to rid myself of any curiosity: I've heard there is alot of "snap" and I'm one that nearly died when I fired the Judge with its 410 shells: went straight home and ordered grips, and now it's fine, just like my Smith snubbie, bought some "angled" Delta grips: fine now.
    So, from what I've heard, if I'm a sissy with whose: stay away from the .40 or get out the credit card for grips (usually end up costing $30ish after shipping).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I hear you.
    With my "buy anything if the price is right" it is feasible that I'd get another .45.
    I've never bought a .40 but I did look at one the other day that the price was close (S/W also), that is how I ended up with the Shield .45: too good to pass up (only had $280 in it b/c of the ammo that came with it).
    I hope to shoot some .40 at the range rental to rid myself of any curiosity: I've heard there is alot of "snap" and I'm one that nearly died when I fired the Judge with its 410 shells: went straight home and ordered grips, and now it's fine, just like my Smith snubbie, bought some "angled" Delta grips: fine now.
    So, from what I've heard, if I'm a sissy with whose: stay away from the .40 or get out the credit card for grips (usually end up costing $30ish after shipping).

40 is not that bad, I just didn't like it for getting back on target/follow up shots with a subcompact sized gun. Just a preference, and getting back down to all 9 mm for simplicity purposes for me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    "Sell?" What is this word "sell?"

1. I have actually sold/traded 5 guns since the beginning of the year, of course, 2 of these "sells" were trades,
    which my wife does not put in the "sell" bracket. :dunno:

2. Guns sold:
    a. S/W SD9VE for $300 (w/5 mags);
    b. Ruger single-action .22LR (w/both cylinders) for $300;
    c. Henry 22LR rifle for $325;
    d. Shield .45 for $375;
    e. Beretta .25 for $300

3. I have bought 5 guns in 1 week (including my Sat. intention)

4. For sale or will be to help pay for these ventures:
    a. Ruger SR 1911 ($675)
    b. Beretta .32 ($275)
    c. Taurus 94 SS 22LR ($350) (just bought it Sunday but going to sell when I get the Taurus Tracker 990 SS 22LR)

5. Wish me luck in not finding other "must-buys"

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Agreed, unless you are shedding a caliber with absolutely no plans to come back to it, I'd keep it.

When I left 40 S&W behind I sold a ton of it off, but I knew I wasn't coming back, and as others had said, I bought it over time when prices were right and sold it below market, in quantity.

I think I still have a few boxes I bought from you. :shoot:

Top Bottom