• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have started powder coating bullets by making a basket out of small hardware cloth and by laying on that baking paper. The basket leaves grooves or lines on bullets and using the paper leaves flats . I have not notice this causing any problem other than looks. How do you do it to get around this ?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Some Good News+Some Bad News...

GREAT to see you into Powder Coating..You probably will NEVER go back to lubed bullets..For tons of info go to CastBoolts. Com

In the coatings section there there is a lot of info on powder coat.

All in all, the ONLY way to get a good smooth surface is to stand up each bullet before they go into the oven-VERY time consuming...Be sure to size them also AFTER the powder coat..

I been doing them for awhile+and do several different calibers..Have fun+good shooting..Bill...

Crittersdad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2018
    Jasonville
    GREAT to see you into Powder Coating..You probably will NEVER go back to lubed bullets..For tons of info go to CastBoolts. Com

In the coatings section there there is a lot of info on powder coat.

All in all, the ONLY way to get a good smooth surface is to stand up each bullet before they go into the oven-VERY time consuming...Be sure to size them also AFTER the powder coat..

I been doing them for awhile+and do several different calibers..Have fun+good shooting..Bill...
    Thanks for the link

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    YES, use QUALITY Paint....

Yep, FarmBoy, you live up to your screen neme=="Ford Blue" paint..Those look GOOD..

As I'm sure that you know, the key to PC is to use GOOD Paint...

Some "Painters" use Harbor Freight paint with mostly poor results. For the time evolved it pays to use good paint.

I have been using 'Powder by the Pound' paint mostly, although I see GREAT things from "Smokes" paint, over on Castboolits. com.

Be sure to size those SWC's to .358" or .359" for best results. (I guess ?? those are 158gr. SWC's).

If you want, shoot me a PM with your cell # and I can give you more info on the easiest way to size your PC projectiles..Bill..

PS: cigarman454 here on INGO has some GREAT info on the subject..Check some of His old posts..

Xterminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    I find everytime I reload powder coated bullets I can't keep my OAL this same . I run a Dillon 550 & copper plated run good. Does anyone else have this problem. It could be my index part/bolt might be wearing out.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    A few things..

I find everytime I reload powder coated bullets I can't keep my OAL this same . I run a Dillon 550 & copper plated run good. Does anyone else have this problem. It could be my index part/bolt might be wearing out.

Be sure: That your seater plug matches bullet profile.
    That your funnel on the powder measure bells the case JUST enough to keep the bullet upright.
    That you crimp JUST enough to remove the bell on semi-autos.
    To set the OAL with ALL stations of conversion plate full of a brass case.

These are the things that affect the OAL on my Dillon 550...Bill

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Great point shooter...

I get more consistent results using the Hornady bullet comparator and measuring from the ogive of the bullet.

Due to our smaller operations than large Mfgs., our diameters and lengths are not as exact as the "Big Boys".
    With that fact, our measurements will vary more than the Big Mfgs...

When a slightly larger (in diameter) projectile is sized after paint, more pressure is needed to push through the size die. This sometimes will flatten the tip of the projectile slightly, thus showing a shorter OAL. As Shooter stated the ogive contact will probably be the same, even though the OAL is slightly different. Softer lead mix will also cause for more varied lengths of finished projectiles.

Most of my PC loads are for handgun-probably 90%, so this slight difference really makes no difference in the performance of my loads.

All in all, if the sized projectile is shorter or longer going into the case, the final OAL's will be shorter or longer..

Unless you are a top Bullseye Shooter you will not notice these differences on target...Bill.

Top Bottom