• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I'm wanting to switch from dry tumbling to wet. On Amazon they have a Lyman tumbler for $159.95 and a Frankfort Arsenal wet tumbler for $169.48. Does anyone have any input as to which is better? I have both a Lyman 1200 Turbo and a Frankfort Arsenal dry tumbler and I can't tell any difference in their value.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I have the FA tumbler and while it does an excellent job of cleaning the cases, mine is difficult to tighten the lids enough to prevent leaking. I have to use a strap wrench to do the job.

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    I have a FA, and love it. Mine has never leaked, but you have to be careful to wipe any spilled water from the threads or it will fling a small amount of water.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have a FA, and love it. Mine has never leaked, but you have to be careful to wipe any spilled water from the threads or it will fling a small amount of water.

I have the FA tumbler and two of the thumblers tumblers. The FA is easier to use and holds about twice as much brass.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Cleaned tons of brass in a Dillon vibratory cleaner over the years.

Don't know any other wet tumbler than the FA. I've had mine a year and a half and have yet to open the SS media. There might be a use in rifle cases down the road, if there is uber concern for precision, but so far all cases are clean enough.

Making sure the seal is wet when tightening gives lubrication to get the job done right. I tighten/loosen the lids tapping the fins on the lids with a short section of PVC and rubber mallet.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have the FA tumbler and while it does an excellent job of cleaning the cases, mine is difficult to tighten the lids enough to prevent leaking. I have to use a strap wrench to do the job.

I bought a small bottle of mineral oil at CVS, and then use a Q-tip to lightly coat the rubber gasket on my FART, and it never leaks anymore. The Mineral oil keeps the gasket from getting old and cracking too. Costs about $2.00, and then the extra few seconds of effort to apply it.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Cabelas right now has the FA on sale for 147 and some change. You can use FREESHIP to get free shipping of course. I've been looking at pulling the trigger on the FA and I do have some unused points.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I bought a small bottle of mineral oil at CVS, and then use a Q-tip to lightly coat the rubber gasket on my FART, and it never leaks anymore...

Excellent idea. Should work better than the soapy water i have been using to lube the gasket and threads. Thanks

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    I have the FA tumbler and two of the thumblers tumblers. The FA is easier to use and holds about twice as much brass.

I have a Thumler's Tumbler and like it but I have also read that the Frankfort Arsenal is a better buy.

I have had my "metal" Thumler's Tumbler for over ten years and have rust under the rubber liner.

And the plastic Frankfort Arsenal tumbler will never have a rust problem. (subliminal suggestion) ;)

JMitch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2015
    Greenwood
    I was blessed to have been gifted a FART. I have used it with and without the pins. I have been extremely pleased with the results even on tarnished and gravel crusted pistol brass. The previous owner felt wet tumbling was too much hassle. I probably invest more time than is needed on the brass, but it works for me.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a FA and it’s never leaked on me. I would suggest the magnet if using steel pins. It works great cleaning brass and my stainless steel baffles.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I have used my Frankfort tumbler to clean many thousands of brass. I did not know how long it would last when i first bought it but has worked well.

I had issues with the leaking. Learned that if i tighten with the tabs on the ring, then tighten on the next tabs around the ring and so on. Do this until you go around all tabs couple times. Every time you shift to other tabs, the ring may budge slightly. Have not had a problem since doing that.

Only couple drops of dish-washing detergent and 9mm case full of lemi-shine all that's needed for clean brass. Too much lemi-shine will turn brass a sort of orange tint. Also found that it works best if water level is just below the top of brass.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    The FA tumbler works wonders. I killed a Dillon tumbler will less rounds than I have run through my FA tumbler.

chuck

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Definitely need a media separator. I use a spinning basket type and fill it with water. The water helps considerably with pin removal.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    We have a few wet tumbler options in stock, including the FA and a dual drum unit from Big Dawg. We also have a used Thumblers Model B.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Definitely need a media separator. I use a spinning basket type and fill it with water. The water helps considerably with pin removal.

I used a colander that I had in college. What a mistake!

I had to go to the hardware store and buy a huge magnet to get all the pins out of the plastic utility sink.

Top Bottom