• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Ok guys, break it down to me because I'm dumb. Is Tula .223 steel cased ammo similar to the military's XM198 ball? Because my friend told me I shouldn't bring it to the in door range because they wouldn't allow that because it's the same as steel core or same as green tip

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    It is a bi-metal projectile. Mild Steel jacket with lead core. Not the same as m855/greentip.

You will need to call the indoor range and ask if it's ok. My guess is that it is not allowed, and your friend is right.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Most ranges don't specify x ammo or projectile. They just say "if any part of the cartridge sticks to the magnet". then theres no argument of AP vs cheaper steel components. saves sorting cases too. A lot don't like aluminum cases for the sorting issue. best bet is to call the range you plan on attending.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Well, Point Blank just states no green tip, AP, etc. So looking at Tula, which is not a steel core round, it should be ok since it's not the same as military ball

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Well that's the problem. I want to know for sure. I did call Point Blank at Merrillville and the lady said it was ok, but I take it with a grain of salt because just because you work behind the gun counter, doesn't mean you know everything. I saw a chick reload an AK mag backwards and I am not sure if she did it on purpose and another lady at the range counter didn't know that AKs fire a different bullet than the AR

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    The steel in Tula is in the jacket (and the case of course). There's a huge difference between a steel core and a bi-metal jacket and your friend is highly mistaken. I shoot my AR500 targets with Tula... I wouldn't be doing that if they were steel core.

Whatever indoor range you are going to, ask them if you want a sure answer as to whether or not they will allow it. Otherwise, keep taking advice with a grain of salt and buy another brand of ammo.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The commercial indoor range where I'm a member explained that steel core bullets damage the backstop and steel cases have a coating that apparently vaporizes and prematurely clogs the air filters.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Applied Ballistics in Lafayette wants to check your ammo with a magnet.
    If the projectile is attracted to a magnet, it is a no.
    Core or jacket, it makes no difference.

Top Bottom