• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Does anyone have a 8x58r Sauer cartridge they would be willing to loan me. My German drilling has been identified by the German Gun Collectors Association as a 1938 H. Sturm, most likely chambered in 8x58R Sauer. I would like to test fit a cartridge before I drop $80.00 on a box of 20.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I looked and I only have 8x58R Danish Krag and not 8x58R Sauer. I sent a PM to AmmoManAaron. If anyone can help you it would be him. Good luck....

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I have a single cartridge in my collection. Finding it may take a while since everything is all boxed up. If it turns out to be the right cartridge for your drilling and you reload, I recommend just buying a set of dies from CH4D. For $80 for 20 rounds, it won't take long to pay for the dies. Original cartridges are hard to find and bring $10 or more each. It was reasonably popular in its day in Central Europe, but is almost unheard of in the U.S. I collect drillings and cape guns, so I understand the difficulties in identifying the cartridges and getting the guns up and shooting. Based on the time period of your drilling, the proof marks should tell the tale. The German Gun Collector's Association has a lot of knowledgeable folks, so they are probably correct. I just joined a year ago and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in vintage German firearms - you will learn a lot and they are friendly people. Send me a PM and we can meet up and check out your drilling. I will try to locate my 8x58R cartridge in the mean time.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    AmmoManAaron,
    I'll send you a PM tomorrow evening. I got the following message when I tried tonight.
    "AmmoManAaron has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm going to second what SpearDane has said.

This thread is utterly worthless without pictures! :D

But kudos to AmmoManAaron for hunting up a cartridge!

OP: I presume that you have had your chamber slugged already?

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Top Bottom