• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am starting to see more and more factory offerings for the .327fedmag, and quite a few more choices for components.
    What I'm not seeing is data to support these offerings.
    I've found projectiles ranging from 130gr up to and including 150gr, but the only data I can find stops at 115gr.

Can anyone offer any help, or a link to data supporting the use of heavier projectiles in the .327fedmag>

I have several powders to choose from, but really don't know where to start.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I spent about 20 minutes searching manuals and Google and I'll be damned.....you are right. There's a shortage of data for sure.

It seemed that anything heavier than 115, was cast boolit, using data from a 32-20 and worked up with no written data.

Good luck. Wish I could help more.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Ok, I've got nothing to do tonight so let's get you some data. I found this:

327 Magnum 150 Grain Cast Bullet

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data that is not currently published in any reloading manual. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Because Ruger used a full size Blackhawk frame for the 327 magnum, it got me to thinking that I could go a lot heavier with the bullet and it would still fit in the cylinder. I have a RCBS .30 caliber, 150 grain Flat Point bullet mold that was designed for 30/30s and the like. The bullets come out about 0.311" but the gas check is approx 0.318". I run these through a 0.312" sizer which gets a good seal on the bullet due to the gas check size.

When I was getting the velocity readings, I was shooting @ 25 yards into a target. The entire 10 shot group measured 3 1/8" with 8 shots coming right in at 1.5". These definitely shoot better than the federal factory stuff I tried so far. The pressure is still below factory ammo levels but due to the temp being in the high 20s and the accuracy being good, I am not going to increase powder until the weather warms. Some fired cases are shown below with the factory (silver primers) on the left and this load (bronze primers) on the right.

Firearm - Ruger Blackhawk 327 magnum, 5.5" barrel
    Bullet - RCBS cast 150 FP sized to 0.312", 153 grains as cast, Hornady gas check
    Case - Federal
    Primer - Wolf Small Rifle
    Powder - 2400
    Weight - 9.0 grains
    OAL - 1.662"
    Velocity - 1126 (average of 10 shots)
    Sectional Density - .225
    Energy - 431 ft/lbs

This should be a very deep penetrating load due to the high sectional density. It rates higher than typical 9mm, 357 mag, 40 S&W, or 45 Auto. It would be about the same as the Buffalo Bore 325 grain 45 Colt load. My first attempt was seating the bullets deeper to an OAL of about 1.577". They were as accurate but the pressure was higher. I was getting the same pressure with 8.2 grains of 2400 and 1040 FPS. These loads were fine in my gun but that is no guarantee that they will perform the same in another revolver. If I was to shoot them in another firearm, I would start 10-15% lower than the charges listed.

From here which is by far the longest thread with the most data anywhere in one spot. LInk:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454312&page=3

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    150s sound on the long side, would check OAL to see if they feed in Mgderf's Henry. I run 9 grains 2400 with a cast 115 grain in my old 32-20s.

Top Bottom