• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • louie217

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    US
    So I'll try and list all info I have here, maybe someone will know more than me.

Once fired brass. Think it's starline
    Cfe223
    S&b primers
    Winchester 55gr fmjbt
    Seating to 2.218 (If I remember correctly) which is around cantalour

Problem is even at max load of 27.5gr there always seems to be 1 flyer and 1 speed that's just way off. And the speeds seem low. I think its 2700 fps. (I don't have my load data on me at the moment.)
    Ideas? I've also just picked up 100 hornady 55gr for testing purposes.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    What type rifle and what twist rate?

I have a AR15 A2 HBAR with a 1 in 9 twist and a AR15 carbine with a 1 in 7 twist and a bolt action Savage .223 with a 1 in 9 twist.

And my AR15 carbine with the 1 in 7 twist likes heavier bullets than the Hornady 55 grain FMJBT.

And short range loads with the A2 HBAR with the 1 in 9 twist will shoot 52-53 grain bullets very well.

Also the 55 grain FMJBT bullets fall into "blasting ammo" category and are far from match grade like the Sierra 69 grain HPBT MatchKing.

That being said there are many other things than give you a flyer, like bullet runout. And sizing and seating can cause this neck runout, or primer type and powder. Meaning double base powders like magnum primers due to the amount of deterrent coatings to light them off.

Last edited:

louie217

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    US
    1:8 twist 18"
    I'm going for some good target/defense. I'll make some 70ish grain for hunting.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    OK then below is your target/defense/zombie target for practice. (if you watch "The Walking Dead" you should know only head shots count) :):

24gSsYY.jpg

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Your velocity issue is the CFE 223......my wife' cheap PSA runs fine on CFE223 but only goes around 2700 FPS but great groups
    My RRA NM does not like CFE 223 at all.....poor groups ect.....IMR 4895 or IMR 8208 XBR my powder of choice

Don't worry to much about what the crono says, worry about group size

CFE also showed pressure signs ......Hornaday projectiles show a little better group size then some pulled bullets I have, but not much

One other thing to think about, don't crimp your load.....

Good luck and keep us posted

Last edited:

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    From what I have read on arfcom, this is your problem: Winchester 55gr fmjbt

This bullet has a history of poor groupings due to lousy QC.......

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

JerryN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2017
    Columbus
    I’ve never used Cfe223 but I’ve made a heck of a lot noise with 24 grains of H335, a number 41 cci primer and a 55 gr fmjbt compliments of ppu. And the old rock river eats them every time. I’m not trying to build match grade ammo for the AR but that combination works great for me.

mopar360

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    US
    I've had the same luck with this kind of load. I think your low vel is due to hornady manual being tested with a 20 or 24" barrel. If it'll kill paper or a man in an extream circumstance I think your fine.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    24 grains of H335, a number 41 cci primer and a 55 gr fmjbt compliments of ppu.

I’ve never used Cfe223 but I’ve made a heck of a lot noise with 24 grains of H335, a number 41 cci primer and a 55 gr fmjbt compliments of ppu. And the old rock river eats them every time. I’m not trying to build match grade ammo for the AR but that combination works great for me.

My PSA's (Rifle+Carbine 1:8 twist) really like One more grain of H335/WC844 under a Hornady 55gr. FMJ-BT, in Lake City brass.
    I think this puts this load up to NATO Specs.
    Good overall SHTF load...Bill.

madvarminter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2015
    franklin
    i had an armalite a long time ago that did that turns out it had a big chip missing where the gas port was drilled armalite replaced the barrel and the problem went away not saying you have the same issue but maybe?

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Your velocity issue is the CFE 223......my wife' cheap PSA runs fine on CFE223 but only goes around 2700 FPS but great groups
    My RRA NM does not like CFE 223 at all.....poor groups ect.....IMR 4895 or IMR 8208 XBR my powder of choice

Don't worry to much about what the crono says, worry about group size

CFE also showed pressure signs ......Hornaday projectiles show a little better group size then some pulled bullets I have, but not much

One other thing to think about, don't crimp your load.....

Good luck and keep us posted
    Please tell me why he shouldn't crimp it. If it has a cannelure, it should be crimped. Factory military ammo whas a crimp. If it goes in an auto loader, it should be crimped.

Last edited:

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Please tell me why he shouldn't crimp it. If it has a cannelure, it should be crimped. Factory military ammo whas a crimp. If it goes in an auto loader, it should be crimped.

Look at the Lyman type "M" expander below for the .223/5.56, the expander is .003 smaller than bullet diameter. Meaning more bullet grip and no need for crimping the bullet.

Many reloaders with progressive presses use this expander for loading their AR15 rifles and do not crimp.

If the case mouth is bumped onto the .226 section of the expander for straight inline seating a very slight taper crimp will streamline the case mouth.

NOTE, at the Whidden custom die website they sell expander kits with five expanders. They run from bullet diameter to .004 under bullet diameter to control the amount of bullet grip.

ohIUcpd.png

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I use 23.5gr BLC2 at 2.23OAL and have no issues with my 20in and 16in both 1 in 8 223 wylde chambers. I don't have my chrono info in front of me but I think I was getting around 3k. My AR needs is just blasting ammo as I had my time behind the trigger and these are mostly for showing my future kids what I approximately used overseas.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

GI ammo is crimped to keep the bullet in place under hard rapid fire like machine gun, or in combat situation.......

I have found that on some rifles, no crimp gives you much improved accuracy

After talking to several ppl at Camp Perry last year, I think only 1 person said he crimps his ammo

For blasting ammo, I might crimp......but for my competition load.....no crimp.....

Newhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Kouts
    I use 23.5gr BLC2 at 2.23OAL and have no issues with my 20in and 16in both 1 in 8 223 wylde chambers. I don't have my chrono info in front of me but I think I was getting around 3k. My AR needs is just blasting ammo as I had my time behind the trigger and these are mostly for showing my future kids what I approximately used overseas.

I don't have my reload log with me right now but your numbers sound like the only thing I could get a bag of armscor seconds to fly strait. Straightish, Ar 20" 1 in 8. As I recall I was getting 2-3 moa.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I don't have my reload log with me right now but your numbers sound like the only thing I could get a bag of armscor seconds to fly strait. Straightish, Ar 20" 1 in 8. As I recall I was getting 2-3 moa.

I think I can at least tune it a bit as I don't think my SD is less than 20 on my loads. As I said earlier I had my time behind the trigger so if it shoots I'll load as much as I can.

Top Bottom