• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I'm eventually going to experiment with wet tumbling, but for now I'm still doing dry tumbling with crushed walnut shells and some Nu Finish mixed in.

I am very happy with how clean and shinny the brass comes out, but I'm so tried of thin layer of dust that gets into the cases. I've done the dryer sheet trick, paper towels, car Polish and none of it completely solves the problem.

I get the dust off of the outside of the cases by laying them on a bath towel and lifting the ends up and down while the cases roll around in the center. It takes seconds. The inside is a different story.

So I am wondering, should I even worry about the layer of dust that's inside the cases? It is so thin that you can't even tell the dust is there until you've wipe parts of the surface clean. Currently I've been blowing the cases out with compressed air, it is very time consuming so I'm tempted to start rinsing them off with water and letting them dry.

Does anyone out there just ignore the dust inside of the case and load it as is?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Some folks put corn meal on top of light powder charges in big cases, no issues that I can see with walnut dust.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Walnut media wears out and is disposable.

If you are experiencing a lot of dust (and it sounds like you are) you may have worn down your media past it’s usfull life.

Try using fresh media without nu finish, tumbling for a little less time and see if that doesn’t improve your dust issue.

Im assuming you’re using a separator when you’re through tumbling? That can help a lot too.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Walnut media wears out and is disposable.

If you are experiencing a lot of dust (and it sounds like you are) you may have worn down your media past it’s usfull life.

Try using fresh media without nu finish, tumbling for a little less time and see if that doesn’t improve your dust issue.

Im assuming you’re using a separator when you’re through tumbling? That can help a lot too.

The last six hundred cases I've tumbled was with fresh media and I even switched brands to a pet store reptile litter. I first tumbled 200 .50 ae cases with no polishing compound. The results weren't satisfactory. After 2 hours, the cases weren't clean, but dusty. With the Nu finish, they got clean but stayed dusty. I then did 400 .44 mag cases with the same result.

All added up, the new media has been used for almost six hours of tumbling. I tumble outside with no cover on the tumbler. :dunno:

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    That's what I was worried about, big reason I've spent a lot of time and effort dealing with getting dust out of cases. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but always assumed it could.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I've used nothing but PURE crushed walnut shells and Nu finish for many years and have never had any dust issues. My brass comes out clean, shinny, smooth and dust free. The secret is to use PURE walnut mixed with about 5 or 6 caps of Nu Finish. Run your tumbler for about a 1/2 hour without any casing in it. Then you can load it up and start tumbling away. I add a cap full of polish there after every 4 or 5 times I use it. I can clean thousands of rounds of pistol brass before the media breaks down enough to change it. You can find pure walnut most places that sell sandblasting abrasives but I must stress that you must use pure walnut.

The reptile litter is mostly clay based with a small amount of crushed shells mixed in. I know because I've tried it several times and only succeeded in creating a dust cloud in my reloading room. Reptile litter is for lizards to crap in, not for cleaning brass.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The last six hundred cases I've tumbled was with fresh media and I even switched brands to a pet store reptile litter. I first tumbled 200 .50 ae cases with no polishing compound. The results weren't satisfactory. After 2 hours, the cases weren't clean, but dusty. With the Nu finish, they got clean but stayed dusty. I then did 400 .44 mag cases with the same result.

All added up, the new media has been used for almost six hours of tumbling. I tumble outside with no cover on the tumbler. :dunno:

What happens if you suck it up and use the purpose built product once? I tumble in Frankford Arsenal with Lyman Turbo Shine and no dust issues here. Even if I dont use used dryer sheets.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I've used nothing but PURE crushed walnut shells and Nu finish for many years and have never had any dust issues. My brass comes out clean, shinny, smooth and dust free. The secret is to use PURE walnut mixed with about 5 or 6 caps of Nu Finish. Run your tumbler for about a 1/2 hour without any casing in it. Then you can load it up and start tumbling away. I add a cap full of polish there after every 4 or 5 times I use it. I can clean thousands of rounds of pistol brass before the media breaks down enough to change it. You can find pure walnut most places that sell sandblasting abrasives but I must stress that you must use pure walnut.

The reptile litter is mostly clay based with a small amount of crushed shells mixed in. I know because I've tried it several times and only succeeded in creating a dust cloud in my reloading room. Reptile litter is for lizards to crap in, not for cleaning brass.

Thanks for the info!

I'll look into finding some pure walnut shell. Does the stuff you use have a brand name? I switched to the reptile litter after having bad luck with the stuff sold specifically for reloading. I can say that in my short experience with it I am happy with the shine it provides. Every bit as good as the more expensive stuff I bought from cabela's.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    What happens if you suck it up and use the purpose built product once? I tumble in Frankford Arsenal with Lyman Turbo Shine and no dust issues here. Even if I dont use used dryer sheets.

I used RCBS formula 1 before trying the reptile litter. It left dust. I never tried lyman turbo because I've heard lots of complaints about the red dust from the Rouge. Not sure if you're using the same thing I'm thinking about or not.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I used RCBS formula 1 before trying the reptile litter. It left dust. I never tried lyman turbo because I've heard lots of complaints about the red dust from the Rouge. Not sure if you're using the same thing I'm thinking about or not.

Weird. No issues here.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-881538-Cleaning-Walnut/dp/B00162NTCW
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/Lyman-Turbo-Brite-Brass-Polish-oz-Bottle/727259.uts?slotId=2

Pretty sure I bought both at Cabelas.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Oh gotcha! That is not what I was thinking of.

I was thinking of the walnut shells lyman sells with Rouge. Excuse me, I've had a few :):

I haven't heard of the polish from lyman. I think I'll pick some up the next time I'm at cabela's.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh gotcha! That is not what I was thinking of.

I was thinking of the walnut shells lyman sells with Rouge. Excuse me, I've had a few :):

I haven't heard of the polish from lyman. I think I'll pick some up the next time I'm at cabela's.

No worries. Lets just say I cant cast any stones. LOL :cheers:

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Thanks for the info!

I'll look into finding some pure walnut shell. Does the stuff you use have a brand name? I switched to the reptile litter after having bad luck with the stuff sold specifically for reloading. I can say that in my short experience with it I am happy with the shine it provides. Every bit as good as the more expensive stuff I bought from cabela's.

The last batch I got from NAPA auto parts. I think I got 50 lbs for less than $20. The only reason I change it out for new media is that it breaks down after a while and starts to take longer to polish. I've tried just about everything that is marketed as reloading media, but none of it last as long or cleans as good as plain old walnut. The key is to treat it with plenty of Nu-Finish the first time and you will never have a dust issue.

I will use dryer sheet strips when cleaning really dirty brass. Its only purpose is to trap the crud that gets cleaned out of the brass (ie powder residue, primer sealant, lead and copper shavings etc). It helps keep the media nice and clean.

Xterminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    I've used walnut media with nu finish and I haven't had any problems but I'm loading 9,40,45. I can perhaps see dust might have issues for rifle loads and you need the accuracy but if not then I wouldn't worry bout it

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I did not think I would live to see the day when someone was worried about a layer of dust from tumbling media, corn, walnut or otherwise, on the INSIDE of a metallic cartridge. As verbose as I tend to be, I literally have no words.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Out of my tumbler, my brass may have some visible dust. By the time it makes it through a case feeder, through the press, and stacked in plastic boxes, any dust is gone. Reptile litter. I’ve had 99 reloading problems but dust ain’t one.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom