• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I've always considered there to be 3 different types of loaders. The first and most skilled I call a Handloader. He's the guy who has no use for high volume production. He gives every consideration to producing ammo that no manufacturer can come close to matching. Everything he does is centered around precision, especially his shooting.

The second is the Reloader. He shoots a lot and therefore must supply his addiction. Progressive presses, usually more than one are used to save on setup time between caliber changes. This guy started loading high volume after first playing the part of the Handloader and developing what he knows to be of commercial or better quality ammo that is 100% dependable for his purposes. He's also willing to make small changes if he learns a way to make improvements in either his product or his production.

Third is the bullet stuffer. Nobody wants to admit to being this guy but there are a bunch of them around. If they can stuff it together so it feeds and goes bang he's golden. He doesn't want to spend the money on high quality equipment and would be happy if he could stock only one powder for everything he shoots. He believes in the myth he can save money by reloading and that is his goal.

Plain and simple, rolling your own is expensive, time consuming, and doing it right should always be the goal. I've done this for over 50 years and to this day I learn something new all too often. No matter which guy you are or what you think your abilities are, if you're not learning and adapting on a regular basis, step away from the bench.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’m the hand loader for rifle. Individual weights, hand prepping every case, chasing half moa on an ar with a cheap barrel, bringing 10 different powder charges, cleaning barrel between, etc.

For pistol, I’m the bullet stuffer. I have random pistol powders. I get random bullets on trade or seconds, and I crank them out. I load whatever I have sitting around mid charge to the min/max load data and don’t look back. My ammo has never had an issue and can take home prizes. But I grab what’s on the shelf and stuff em in.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I am more of the hand loader.......I load for accuracy.....I chase X's .....once I find a load that works, I buy a powder throw, dedicated to that powder / load........I do load a lot, 'cause I shoot 75 to 100 rounds every Thursday at high power practice.......

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I really don't perfectly fit any of these descriptions, but I'm close to all of them. I load mostly for economy, but I have and still will tailor the most accurate loads I can for my rifles, but my handgun loading, while accomplished on single stage presses, is all about volume and economy.

To me loading my own ammo is a separate hobby from shooting. I find time at the loading bench is as enjoyable and fulfilling to me as time at the shooting bench. Case preparation, priming, charging, and bullet seating/crimping is a relaxing and almost Zen like activity to me.

I put on some music and focus on making one perfectly safe round after the other. The next thing I know a couple of hours have passed and I have a few hundred new rounds of ammo to send down range.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I load for a wide variety of old guns, just getting them up to shooting like they used to is fun.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I started out the hand loader with a bunch of guns and calibers. Sold everything off and started over.

Am now a reloader for sure. Wish I would have converted sooner.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    To me loading my own ammo is a separate hobby from shooting. I find time at the loading bench is as enjoyable and fulfilling to me as time at the shooting bench. Case preparation, priming, charging, and bullet seating/crimping is a relaxing and almost Zen like activity to me..

This. I try to justify it by claiming it saves me money, but I probably I break even with a higher quality product in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I’m the hand loader for rifle. Individual weights, hand prepping every case, chasing half moa on an ar with a cheap barrel, bringing 10 different powder charges, cleaning barrel between, etc.

For pistol, I’m the bullet stuffer. I have random pistol powders. I get random bullets on trade or seconds, and I crank them out. I load whatever I have sitting around mid charge to the min/max load data and don’t look back. My ammo has never had an issue and can take home prizes. But I grab what’s on the shelf and stuff em in.

This is me too. I reload/handload because I enjoy doing it. I enjoy working loads to find the best for my rifle. For pistols, I found something that works. I don’t like to spend money trying a bunch of different things. I picked powders that could be used in multiple calibers. I pick up components when priced right.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I would think metallic cartridge vs shotshell would affect the equation. Loading shotshells is a much less tedious task than metallic cartridges - especially pistol cartridges where powder charges are less than 5 grains and a 1 grain variation can result in some serious problems. I load 4 different shotgun gauges and don’t vary the powder, primer or wad combinations regardless of the shell manufacturer - Winchester, Remington, or other in 12, 20, 28, and .410. A 1/2 grain variance is not catastrophic, if fact a 1/2-1 grain variance in loads is listed in the manuals.

I don’t know of any reloading manual that allows a 1 gr. variance for, say, 9 mm loads.

Yes, I agree with the OP descriptive categories. However, further refinement might certainly be called for.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I really don't perfectly fit any of these descriptions, but I'm close to all of them. I load mostly for economy, but I have and still will tailor the most accurate loads I can for my rifles, but my handgun loading, while accomplished on single stage presses, is all about volume and economy.

To me loading my own ammo is a separate hobby from shooting. I find time at the loading bench is as enjoyable and fulfilling to me as time at the shooting bench. Case preparation, priming, charging, and bullet seating/crimping is a relaxing and almost Zen like activity to me.

I put on some music and focus on making one perfectly safe round after the other. The next thing I know a couple of hours have passed and I have a few hundred new rounds of ammo to send down range.

You bring up an excellent point of loading being a separate thing. For me it's actually a getaway without ever going anywhere as when I'm at the bench the rest of the world really doesn't exist. Although I load year round I consider mid December to mid March to be loading season. You see, I started this season with a bit over 7 5gal. buckets of empty brass and I bought another 10,000 45s just to make sure I was covered. As of a couple days ago I have not that first piece of empty brass on the place but that will change in the morning. In reality I'm a handloader for certain rifles and my specialty pistols and they are mostly odd calibers but even for my 45s and ARs that nowadays consume most of my attention, I've taken extra care in load development and choice of components and that is what allows me to become a reloader that produces top quality fodder. I'm much too anal to ever be a bullet stuffer.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I would add/change that rolling your own can be comparatively inexpensive when political tides shift/panic buy occurs. I agree that with some rounds, 9mm for example, it is almost cheaper to buy loaded bulk ammo than press my own (although I still do). But I can remember not too long ago paying considerably more for loaded ammo. Social and political environments can change very quickly and I would prefer to be able to supply my own ammo if (when) it becomes very hard to find/expensive.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I would think metallic cartridge vs shotshell would affect the equation. Loading shotshells is a much less tedious task than metallic cartridges - especially pistol cartridges where powder charges are less than 5 grains and a 1 grain variation can result in some serious problems. I load 4 different shotgun gauges and don’t vary the powder, primer or wad combinations regardless of the shell manufacturer - Winchester, Remington, or other in 12, 20, 28, and .410. A 1/2 grain variance is not catastrophic, if fact a 1/2-1 grain variance in loads is listed in the manuals.

I don’t know of any reloading manual that allows a 1 gr. variance for, say, 9 mm loads.

Yes, I agree with the OP descriptive categories. However, further refinement might certainly be called for.

Doesn't matter if we're talking shotshell or metallic since the 3 approaches still seem to apply. I personally haven't discharged enough shot shells in the last 20 years to even mention but a buddy is all about shooting trap and I would consider him a full-fledged shotshell handloader. He would never accept a grain or even half variation in his charges since consistent velocities are his niche. He has a clothes dryer in his shop just for hulls. He cleans them a certain way and applies some sort of wax (or something) to the cleaned hulls in the dryer that has to be held at a certain temperature. Since he loads in crazy volume he fits into the reloader category also but a stuffer he will never be.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've always considered there to be 3 different types of loaders. The first and most skilled I call a Handloader. He's the guy who has no use for high volume production. He gives every consideration to producing ammo that no manufacturer can come close to matching. Everything he does is centered around precision, especially his shooting.

The second is the Reloader. He shoots a lot and therefore must supply his addiction. Progressive presses, usually more than one are used to save on setup time between caliber changes. This guy started loading high volume after first playing the part of the Handloader and developing what he knows to be of commercial or better quality ammo that is 100% dependable for his purposes. He's also willing to make small changes if he learns a way to make improvements in either his product or his production.

Third is the bullet stuffer. Nobody wants to admit to being this guy but there are a bunch of them around. If they can stuff it together so it feeds and goes bang he's golden. He doesn't want to spend the money on high quality equipment and would be happy if he could stock only one powder for everything he shoots. He believes in the myth he can save money by reloading and that is his goal.

Plain and simple, rolling your own is expensive, time consuming, and doing it right should always be the goal. I've done this for over 50 years and to this day I learn something new all too often. No matter which guy you are or what you think your abilities are, if you're not learning and adapting on a regular basis, step away from the bench.

If you load nothing more exotic or larger than .308 or .30/06 then saving money is probably a myth. If one loads obscure cartridges, very large cartridges, or both as I do then it is entirely possible if not a virtual certainty to save some money. The first 100 rounds of .416 Rigby I load will pay for my LNL.

As for what type of reloader I am, I load some rounds for precision, some for volume, and some for experimentation/learning/challenge so I don't really fit into any neat category.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am a "reloader" first. My first press was a Dillon progressive, but that' the majority of my shooting, and I'm feeding my hobby. I am a handloader second, I can do precision loads on a single stage press and get some quality stuff. However, it's not how/why I started. It's important but I just don't go through volume with that kind of shooting like I do with pistol ammo. When switching to handloading though I get meticulous and it's loaded per rifle.

I've got a buddy who I often "handload" with and when he first watched me run my progressive it was driving him nuts using the powder throw on top of it and not checking charges. He is most certainly a "handloader" not a "reloader" I like that I can flow between the two.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Handloader all the way, with a likening to the Zen thing. I have yet to load my first round of 9mm, 40, or 45.
    Have to disagree with the savings reference. Maybe if you only load a couple boxes a year, there isn't much savings. Ever try to find 200 rounds of factory 357 Maximum? Or 7br? I can reload for 35 cents a round, no way I can buy loaded ammo for $7 a box.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    If you load nothing more exotic or larger than .308 or .30/06 then saving money is probably a myth. If one loads obscure cartridges, very large cartridges, or both as I do then it is entirely possible if not a virtual certainty to save some money. The first 100 rounds of .416 Rigby I load will pay for my LNL.

As for what type of reloader I am, I load some rounds for precision, some for volume, and some for experimentation/learning/challenge so I don't really fit into any neat category.

Not if you honestly do the whole equation. As an example a premium brand of 416R can be purchased for just under $9 per round. To duplicate that round the bullets are something over $2 per round. Add to that the primer and powder and you still haven't considered the most expensive input. You still have to add in a number for the cost of not just the equipment involved but also for the place you store and use the equipment. Even then the most expensive part has to be added and that is the time invested. Most want to leave this part out but if you're being honest it has to be figured in and that must include an hourly wage (no matter how you actually earn your money) plus the cost of earned benefits. With everything added in there is no savings. The old quote about there being no free lunch turns out to be true every time.

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    Guess I'd call myself a reloader on a single stage press. I enjoy load workup and development, and once I get it where I want, I do batches of 50. I've done thousands of rounds on my Single stage.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom