• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I have a bunch of lubed 30 cal cast bullets, want to try powder coating- have access to laquer thinner, xylene and acetone at work; wondering what would work best- any ideas?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    to laquer thinner, xylene and acetone at work; wondering what would work best-

Yes, Yes, and Yes...

When they look good+clean, I spray Carb Cleaner, heat up with a heat gun, then shake+bake with powder coat paint..Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    For what it's worth...

To volume clean lube from projectiles, it is easier to boil in water first..

Get yourself a $1.99 GoodWill Store pot, outside burner if possible, and boil the bullets.
    Let cool off overnight, and then remove the wax/lube from the top of the water, pour out the water, and remove the bullets..

These then will be a LOT easier to wash with solvent...

Also FWIW....I, as noted before, found out that Powder Coat Paint will stick to the projectiles better if you SLIGHTLY spray, in a metal bowl, with carb choke cleaner, and then heat with a heat gun--Hot to touch--and then place in #5 plastic bowl with the paint. Shake the plastic bowl for about 3-5 min. and then on a pan to bake.
    I use silicone baking mats (again from GoodWill) on the pan for the no-stick effect..Bake @ 400 degrees for about 15-20 min. and they come out GREAT...Bill.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Thanks all for the tips- my first try at this, really appreciate benefiting from y'all's experience- soaked the boolits in3 different solvents, still a bit of lube (JPW) in the grooves, the brake cleaner got that out- think I'm good to go- thanks again!!

fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    Try paint thinner, leave bullets in it over night I use it to get the blue lube off so I can powder coat . Then wash in some kind of soap ,works great .

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Try paint thinner, leave bullets in it over night I use it to get the blue lube off so I can powder coat . Then wash in some kind of soap ,works great .
    Thanks- have a bunch of commercial cast that I might try that on, if this current batch works out- didn't think It would be do- able to get the "crayon" lube off

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Waiting for pics of the initial results. :ingo:
    I don't have the tech skills for pics, but the first 10 came out w a nice even thin coat, second batch of 60ish came out kinda rough and "clumpy" from not being shaken enough- that matters, apparently! Last 100 or so, after getting a proper bowl and lid, and shaking the recommended 5 mins, we're great - only about .0015 larger than before coating. Now I need to order a sizing die, at least for that 2nd batch where I didn't follow directions

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't have the tech skills for pics, but the first 10 came out w a nice even thin coat, second batch of 60ish came out kinda rough and "clumpy" from not being shaken enough- that matters, apparently! Last 100 or so, after getting a proper bowl and lid, and shaking the recommended 5 mins, we're great - only about .0015 larger than before coating. Now I need to order a sizing die, at least for that 2nd batch where I didn't follow directions

I don't shake mine near that long, one maybe two minutes tops. Maybe our powder coat powder is different? I've always used "Smoke's" powder and BB's: VS - Hi quality Powder for DT or Spraying bullets - Page 51

Often I'll combine colors and clear powder coat to come up with the slightly transparent and or muddled appearance. This somewhat masks any cosmetic imperfections caused from bulk basket baking, where the boolits often touch each other and the wire basket. I bake 200 at a time.

ACQCY8y.jpg

Top Bottom