• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BadWolf5150

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2018
    Marshall County
    I've heard good things about Federal ammo and the Marlin Model 60, but it is terrible in my gun. I purchased 500 rounds of "Federal Champion 22 Long Rifle High Velocity 40 Grain Lead Round Nose" and out of 14 rounds, at least 2-4 would jam upon trying to eject the spent round. I can run CCI, Remington Thunderbolt and Aguila through my gun all day long with no issues. Terribly disappointed that the Federal doesn't run right. I know I've heard that different guns like different ammo, so I guess I learned mine just doesn't like Federal?[h=1][/h]

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Sounds like you need to send to me for disposal. If it don't fire Federal then its unsafe for human use.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I've heard good things about Federal ammo and the Marlin Model 60, but it is terrible in my gun. I purchased 500 rounds of "Federal Champion 22 Long Rifle High Velocity 40 Grain Lead Round Nose" and out of 14 rounds, at least 2-4 would jam upon trying to eject the spent round. I can run CCI, Remington Thunderbolt and Aguila through my gun all day long with no issues. Terribly disappointed that the Federal doesn't run right. I know I've heard that different guns like different ammo, so I guess I learned mine just doesn't like Federal?

22's can certainly be finicky when it comes to ammo. I usually have trouble trying to run the Remington Thunderbolt stuff. It has been relegated to my bolt action and single action revolvers now. Federal is usually very reliable for me. That and CCI I consider some of the best. YMMV

If your gun doesn't like Federal just go with what works and don't look back. :yesway:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got an old old old Browning .22 semi that hates Federal as well. It's the only rifle I own that is allergic to the Federal stuff. It loves the old Winchester Wildcat and I've got a ton of it so I'm not worrying.
    22 rifles can be extremely picky on ammo. Especially NEW or low round count rifles. After they break in they might eat better.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    The larger question??

I've heard good things about Federal ammo and the Marlin Model 60, but it is terrible in my gun. I purchased 500 rounds of "Federal Champion 22 Long Rifle High Velocity 40 Grain Lead Round Nose" and out of 14 rounds, at least 2-4 would jam upon trying to eject the spent round. I can run CCI, Remington Thunderbolt and Aguila through my gun all day long with no issues. Terribly disappointed that the Federal doesn't run right. I know I've heard that different guns like different ammo, so I guess I learned mine just doesn't like Federal?[h=1][/h]

Is your Marlin 60 the only .22LR that you own??
    If so, you should find someone close to you to trade off the balance of your Federal 22 ammo.
    You probably will not find a 1 for 1 trade, but a 3 of yours for 2 of theirs would be a likely trade.
    FWIW: Most 22LR firearms are good to go with the Federal ammo..Bill

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Different 22RF guns prefer different ammo for the sake of accuracy and not function or ability to cycle in a semi. If this ammo does not want to cycle it is likely because of it being a lower pressure producer than other ammo. A disassembly and cleaning while paying attention to fit and function of moving parts would be a good place to start. With this done, if function still fails an adjustment in recoil spring pressure are in order since the cause of the jams is likely short stroking. I've had to do this on a couple such cheaper rifles in order to run certain ammo such as some sub-sonics. The 60 when put together right will run anything it's fed.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Is your Marlin 60 the only .22LR that you own??
    If so, you should find someone close to you to trade off the balance of your Federal 22 ammo.
    You probably will not find a 1 for 1 trade, but a 3 of yours for 2 of theirs would be a likely trade.
    FWIW: Most 22LR firearms are good to go with the Federal ammo..Bill

Or go find yourself an old Marlin 80DL or 81DL bolt action for under $175 with ballard rifling and you'll have no problems.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    22lr guns can be really picky on ammo.......marlin 60's in my experience are very picky........FTE is usualy caused by standard velocity ammo or a really dirty action......
    clean it, oil it, and run different ammo.......

Aaron

Top Bottom