• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Random thought: 300 Blackout seems to have gained the massive traction everyone was talking about a few years ago, and yet a quick search on factory plinking loads shows it is still not much less expensive.

I feel like I’m missing something.

I don’t feel like “just load your own” is a viable answer because as we all know reloading opens a lot of doors for ammunition options. I’m thinking “off the shelf” options for your typical recreational shooter.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I shoot and reload 300 AAC Blackout. Keep in mind that 300 AAC Blackout is not a surplus caliber and will never reach the low prices that 5.56 and 7.62x39 fetch. I have seen 300 BLK advertised for as low as 9.95 a box. Considering the heavy bullet and lower volume of sales I think that is about right or even a bargain compared to 30-30 or 30-06.

I hope I am wrong but I never expect to see 300 BLK on the store shelf for 5-6 dollars a box like some 5.56 and 7.62x39.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I know what you’re saying. I think the reason it popped in my head is because I love 6.5 Grendel and you can get 100gr wolf steel cased ammo for $.23 a round, and I don’t think Grendel is as popular as Blackout. It’s not a surplus round either.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I didn't realize Wolf was making 6.5 Grendel at that price point. They are producing 303 British for 8-10 dollars a box also. Perhaps if Wolf starts producing 300 Blackout it could be in the same range as those two calibers. Would be a good price for blasting ammo.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    I wouldnt call BO a "recreational shooting" option. Ive never seen it under $16/box of 20, and that is only 125 gr target/basic. I heard a guy say hes running his Dillon (the most expensive one they make with a computer attached) and he says he can make it for .13/rd with his own castings. Wish I was that rich! Keep in mind those arent defensive rounds. Maybe theyre recreational rounds for fun. But if I was going that route, why not AK instead of Grendel? Less $, less trouble, found everywhere!

For reloading this round, case conversion alone is enough work that its still probably better for most to just buy it off the shelf. Time is $. Cutting, trimming, deburring, and sizing 500 cases at a time? Not so fun.

500 plinking projectiles (Speer TNT 125 gr) cost me $100. I can get some .223 parent cases for free, but the rest I have to buy and shoot first since I dont reload .223, it just becomes BO ammo. Needless to say it isnt very cheap, even reloading. If I wanted custom defense loads, it would be nearly as expensive as shelf ammo, YMMV.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm very new to the 300 BO. Put it off for years, saying I'd never go to it. Reloading is the only real option to shoot 300 BO and 30 cal bullets are pricey at best.

The prepper in me and my interest in casting/coating my own 30 caliber boolits finally caught my interest. Finding 300 BO spent cases at the range along with hearing that the load was becoming quite popular for deer hunting got my attention also. Popularity and competition is on the way.

The seemed settling of the pistol brace issue, as a viable alternative to SBR, pushed me over the edge.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I'm right there with you Bro...

I'm very new to the 300 BO. Put it off for years, saying I'd never go to it. Reloading is the only real option to shoot 300 BO and 30 cal bullets are pricey at best.

The prepper in me and my interest in casting/coating my own 30 caliber boolits finally caught my interest. Finding 300 BO spent cases at the range along with hearing that the load was becoming quite popular for deer hunting got my attention also. Popularity and competition is on the way.

The seemed settling of the pistol brace issue, as a viable alternative to SBR, pushed me over the edge.

I've been loading a lot of calibers for a lot of years, but this 300BK is also new to me..My Nephew's Son just had to have an upper for the 300 Blackout??

So you KNOW Ole Uncle Bill NEEDS to put together some loads for Him???

I got "Buckets" of .223/5.56 brass and the rest of the components, and other than the Hi $$ projectiles, I'm good to go after I bought the proper tools for the case prep. (HA.HA..A Hobby Saw...)
    bw, you got me thinking--( I know-trouble-right??). I have a 121gr. RN mold around here somewhere that i used for some 30-30 and light .308 loads??? It is a gas checked mold, and I DO powder coat my cast projectiles..

This MAY??? be the cheap way to keep the Young Ladd shooting CHEAP????...Bill...

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I would definitely like to see the price point for these to come down.

I have an upper that I built up with a short barrel and a can. It just costs so much to run it thru its paces and make sure it is good to go for HD that I just let it sit most times.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Cast them boolits and choot em' cheap. While I do buy the Sierra 125 Pro-Hunter and Speer 125 TNT bullets, I keep the average down by casting my own and powder coating them. Did I really need the 300 BO, well no but I can't let everyone else have all the fun!

Probably around 30 cents a round for the goodun's and 12 cents a round for the home cast. I find the sierra and speer's more accurate of course but honestly not by a whole lot. I can still squeeze out some sub moa with the home cast.

VyrHSCo.jpg

DXYLaAc.jpg

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Cast them boolits and choot em' cheap. While I do buy the Sierra 125 Pro-Hunter and Speer 125 TNT bullets, I keep the average down by casting my own and powder coating them. Did I really need the 300 BO, well no but I can't let everyone else have all the fun!

Probably around 30 cents a round for the goodun's and 12 cents a round for the home cast. I find the sierra and speer's more accurate of course but honestly not by a whole lot. I can still squeeze out some sub moa with the home cast.

VyrHSCo.jpg

Which mold are you using for your 300? I've been looking at the NOE molds for a while, just haven't grabbed one yet.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I'll be a stick in the mud and maybe insane-in-the-membrain...

Here is a quiz... What round uses .310" 123gr pills... Answer- 7.62x39. Yes- only .002" larger than .308"

Nosler was blowing out factory seconds of 123gr Poly-tip FB's for $34.95 / 250. Yes-13.98 c/rnd.

A 8# jug of SW-BO from Grafs is $144. At 18gr / rnd = .0493 c/rnd. (8000gr/lb x 8 lbs / 18gr)

SB- Primers $19.99 = .01995 c/rnd.

Do the math per round...

Pill $.1398
    Powder $.0493
    Primer $.0199
    ---------------------
    Total $.209 / rnd. +/-

Assume brass is a wash because we've used it more than once... But you could put .10c/rnd for new once fired 300BO.

Yes, it does work. Brass looks good, primers look good, no chrono data yet but we'll do that later.

8", 6", 4" dingers all ding at 100yds without any sighting in yet on 1-4x that was zeroed for 125gr Sierras with above recipe.

YMMV.

:ingo:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I waited a while to get into .300 Blackout, but finally did about a year and a half ago, maybe 2. I rebarreled my SBR as a .300 because as strictly defense gun, all I ever need is to shoot 150 or 200 yds and in. Supersonoics out of an 11.3" barrel work out fine, and is a nice small package. I really like that it is designed for short barrels. It doesn't give up a lot in an SBR like the 5.56/.223 does.

Same thing. I get what I like, and the ammo stays high. At least you can get 150 gr FMJ at a decent price for practicing, but I like the 110 gr Barnes Vortex for the service round. That stuff, you don't find cheap. In fact, I've never seen it in any store. Every round I've every got has been online. The secret must be to have money stashed and waiting. Then you can always be on the lookout for sales. I just go shopping when I have extra money, so finding the good sales isn't as easy.

I probably shouldn't have rebarrled my SBR, probably should have just built a whole upper. Now I'm thinking I'll build an Upper again in 5.56. right now I can only shoot 5.56 from my 16" AR, yet that's most of my ammo stash.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I waited a while to get into .300 Blackout, but finally did about a year and a half ago, maybe 2. I rebarreled my SBR as a .300 because as strictly defense gun, all I ever need is to shoot 150 or 200 yds and in. Supersonoics out of an 11.3" barrel work out fine, and is a nice small package. I really like that it is designed for short barrels. It doesn't give up a lot in an SBR like the 5.56/.223 does.

Same thing. I get what I like, and the ammo stays high. At least you can get 150 gr FMJ at a decent price for practicing, but I like the 110 gr Barnes Vortex for the service round. That stuff, you don't find cheap. In fact, I've never seen it in any store. Every round I've every got has been online. The secret must be to have money stashed and waiting. Then you can always be on the lookout for sales. I just go shopping when I have extra money, so finding the good sales isn't as easy.

I probably shouldn't have rebarrled my SBR, probably should have just built a whole upper. Now I'm thinking I'll build an Upper again in 5.56. right now I can only shoot 5.56 from my 16" AR, yet that's most of my ammo stash.

Thats mostly what we ran last year- 300BO. Really got into loading up different recipes. 110gr Barnes TacTX to 220gr solid coppers. We had the 10.5" just sitting with us yesterday while doing some pistol work and saw a critter way out in a field that had been hassling our chickens. He/she finally ran into the woods. We placed a 6" dinger out there just to see if we could hit it at about 190yds. Hold over was last dot a BDC reticle. With a 125gr Sierra, pull trigger, wait split second, watch it swing. Fun stuff. 300BO is very versatile.

:ingo:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave

VyrHSCo.jpg

DXYLaAc.jpg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...9-diameter-120-grain-1-ogive-radius-gas-check
    ^^^I Powder Coat this one for my light 30-30 and .308 loads..Looks like it will be for 300AAC..???..Bill.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Nice casts! Mind sharing your process? I have melted wheel weights in my Lyman pot, are those sufficient or do you use an alloy? Are you using the standard "Harbor Freighr powder coat method? How about gas checks? Still hesitating on trying this...

Snt220

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    Scottsburg
    I have had great luck with the 200gr polymer coated bullets . I picked up 350 coated bullets at Kentuckiana Reloading for 35.00. Hopefully I can make it down there this weekend and get a couple 100 more.

Top Bottom