• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallpaulr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Looking to load for my Garand that i build at the CMP builders class. I have a bunch of 748 i would like to use on 155gr FMJ, but i can't seem to find good data out there. Just a max load. I wanted to keep the pressure lower than it was talking on that max load for the Garand. Thanks

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Although 4895 is the powder originally used in the Garand, 748 can certainly be used without exceeding port pressures which can be an issue with the Garand. 748 is especially useful when using 168 grain and larger slugs. As to charge weights, only a fool or someone with a death wish would use data from the web that can't be confirmed first hand with trusted printed data. Take a look at one of the newer Hornady manuals as an example that offers data that is specific to the Garand for published charges.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Look at the newest edition of the Hornady Loading Manual and it has a special section on M1 Garand loading. Also google M1 reloading articles from the American Rifleman. Very informative.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Anyone load M80 bullets in the 30-06 case?

Winchester (OLIN) does this once in a while, I wonder what load they use.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/rifle-ammunition/Value/Full-Metal-Jacket-rifle/Pages/USA3006.aspx

Says 3020FPS, so maybe a little HOT

Myself and many others have loaded tons of the 147s for use in the Garand to proper velocities and with appropriate powders that allow for the port pressures not to be exceeded. As to the Winchesters referred to, I have never used them and probably wouldn't in my Garand. As to Winchesters load used in these, we will never know and it wouldn't matter anyway since they use proprietary powders that aren't available to us loaders in the private sector.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    You might find the following link useful. Service Rifle Loadings It is from Hornady M1 section of its reloading manual, the loads are sort of conservative, but gives you an idea of the load range for an M1. I have used IMR 4895 and 150 FMJBT bullets from Hornady with good results, I have also used IMR 4064, and found my loads to be even more accurate. However, I am not impressed with how they both meter. I will be looking at H4895 as I understand it meters better, than those I mentioned. You might go to the CMP forums, the Ask Each Other and the Reloading section of it, there is a wealth of info from experienced M1 shooters. Suerte.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    M2 ball ammo pushed a 147 grain bullet to appox 2740 FPS ( clocked at 78 ft from the muzzle) ......IMR 4895 seems to be a very popular powder for your gun......

Google m2 ball ammo load data , and DO surf the CMP forum......

Aaron

Top Bottom