• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    At this time, I’m looking to start with a basic progressive setup. Mosin prices and Nagant revolver prices have me wanting to sell both and their ammo cache to invest in more reloading gear. If you want to say “go search”, you go search.

My two routes after selling some gear and ammo here....
    1. Dillon 650 and some bells and whistles
    2.Hornady LNL AP, Hornady classic kit (mainly for the single press and free bullets, sell some of the extras) and Hornady Deluxe Control Board

Either gets me in the $800 range, but if I go the 3 major item Hornady route, I get 1,500 6.5 bullets free as I venture into 6.5.

i currently load .223, but load for precision. Digital trickle charger single batch, but not against faster if it’s accurate. I also load .38 spl, 9mm. For that, I test loads with what I have on hand and then crank them out. I don’t bench rest shoot pistol. Fast and under 25 yards.

I load 200-250 rifle every now and again and 1k pistol until my old stuff is running lower. Lots of components on hand.

I don’t care what kool-aid I’m drinking, but mostly own Hornady stuff now (besides my press I’d be selling too, Lee Classic Turret). I’d have until December to decide, but almost hit order last night on the 3 LNL items.

Talk me into one or the other. And... go.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Do yourself a favor if you go the Hornady route and forget the control panel. It's a waste of time and money. The LNL with case feeder has done me well for a long time now. I've had both red and blue and the red suits me better ergonomically and when you're planning to produce large quantities that becomes important. Money isn't an issue for me so I kept what filled my needs best. If money is an issue the LNL is cheaper up front and in the long run with cheaper caliber changes and the extra bullets, the money is easy to figure out. With the money you save on the control panel you can pick up more primer tubes and an RCBS Lockout die for pistol rounds. I hate having to stop loading to fill primer tubes and the lockout die is a must. In all honesty, I tell everyone trying to choose between red and blue to try them both and get the one that fits you best. Either one is capable of producing the same quality and amount of ammo in the same time no matter what any of the Kool-Aid drinkers try to tell you. I've had both.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I think both presses are excellent and would serve you well. If there is anyway that you can get in front of them both and give them a whirl, that would help you decide much better than anything we could advise you on here.

Personally, I preferred the Dillon XL650 with the case feeder and some extra 3rd-party goodies, but I also almost bought the Hornady. Once I got to actually try the Dillon, I was sold. YMMV.

If it were me, I would be most worried about the ergonomics rather than the free bullets since you are going to have the live with the press for many years to come. If you prefer the Hornady, *AND* get the free bullets, then that is a plus, but I would not use the bullets as an incentive to buy one over the other. When I consider the many, many hours I spend on my press, the free bullets would be inconsequential in my opinion.

Best of luck! You are going to love the higher throughput over the LCT with either press. It makes a huge difference.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    How many rounds / year?

-rvb

2-3k max per year, not much. I enjoy the process, but when I load em, I want to go faster.

thanks for all the advice everyone! Anywhere near Fishers that would have both in stock to feel out?

The only reason i was I was considering the control panel is it’s only $170 and comes with another 500 free bullets. Ha

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    2-3k max per year, not much. I enjoy the process, but when I load em, I want to go faster.

yea, that's not much. considered a 550? Not just the machine, but tool heads, etc all cheaper. I mean you're only talking like 6 hours of press time per year on a 550.

I'm all for spending other people's money, so nothing wrong with a 650 :) or a 1050 :) that is automated :)

I definitely wouldn't let a couple boxes of bullets sway my decision on a press..........

-rvb

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If I were planning on loading huge quantities of only a few different, very common cartridges I would probably go with the Dillon.

If I were planning to load moderate to large quantities of several different cartridges, some of which are not real common, I would go with the LNL.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Forget the come on for free Bullets and drink the blue kool aid.

I do like that sound the 650 makes. :) If I’m going blue, I’m going to go 650 instead of 550, I like the automatic progression. What all happens when you change calibers? Such as 9mm, to 223? New shell plate mechanism, new casing tube, adjust powder dispenser and reset different dies? Everyone’s talking about a lot of work to change calibers. But anytime I load a batch, I setup everything from scratch anyways.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    My favorite color is BLUE so the 650 was an easy pick for me.
    Just remember, the "bells and whistles" add up real quick no matter which one you end up with. :spend:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I do like that sound the 650 makes. :) If I’m going blue, I’m going to go 650 instead of 550, I like the automatic progression.

For as little as you're loading, know auto indexing has some cons, like getting it tuned to not spill powder if you have full cases, and it's more complicated to back-up if you have an issue such as a primer feed problem. Regardless what you decide, still look in every case before you seat the bullet. 200k+ on a 550, some years loading 20-25k on it, I've never been bothered by the manual index.

What all happens when you change calibers? Such as 9mm, to 223? New shell plate mechanism, new casing tube, adjust powder dispenser and reset different dies? Everyone’s talking about a lot of work to change calibers. But anytime I load a batch, I setup everything from scratch anyways.

That's what different tool heads are for! Ugh, that thought makes me cringe!

I can see moving a powder hopper between tool heads if you didn't want to buy multiple of those, but resetting dies every time? If you're doing all that hassle, then what we call "a lot of work" to change calibers is not in the same league as what you call "a lot of work." :)

-rvb

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    For as little as you're loading, know auto indexing has some cons, like getting it tuned to not spill powder if you have full cases, and it's more complicated to back-up if you have an issue such as a primer feed problem. Regardless what you decide, still look in every case before you seat the bullet. 200k+ on a 550, some years loading 20-25k on it, I've never been bothered by the manual index.

That's what different tool heads are for! Ugh, that thought makes me cringe!

I can see moving a powder hopper between tool heads if you didn't want to buy multiple of those, but resetting dies every time? If you're doing all that hassle, then what we call "a lot of work" to change calibers is not in the same league as what you call "a lot of work." :)

-rvb

Ha, sounds like it! I’ll dev a load for pistol, load 1k over a week, then take the dies apart and back into the container. Just the way I do it!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Go Blue
    I also suggest extra tool heads instead of resetting the dies.
    For the amount you load, I'd say check out the 550
    We have 2 550's set up and a 650

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    iNMNrqw.jpg

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Let me start by saying I decided to get a progressive reloader because I began shooting IDPA and USPSA - 9mm. I was not new to reloading, but had only had a single stage press. I did a TON of research. Notwithstanding price, the Hornady LnL was comparable to the Dillon 650 when looking at the number of die stations, powder measure, case feeder, etc. per the literature each provides. I decided to purchase the Hornady LnL press because it was less expensive and I fell into a deal on a used but “new” case feeder. I liked the idea of being able to change over from one caliber to the next by switching out the dies using the Hornady bushings. The switch from small to large primers was easy and the powder measure provides large and small metering change over pretty easily. I loaded about 10,000 rounds over a 3 year period of time. The press ran well for me with two exceptions: I could never get the case feeder to work smoothly. Believe me, I looked at every YouTube video I could find and called Hornady. Never did discover a “fix”. I would say the case feeder worked correctly about 60% of the time. I.e. 6 out of 10 cases dropped and were fed properly on to the shell plate without me having to make an adjustment by hand. The second “issue” I found problematic was the primer feed. It worked well most of the time. However, when it failed to feed a primer into position there was no way of knowing until the powder spilled onto the shell plate. A Dillon alarm was said to be modifiable to catch the low primer status, but it wouldn’t correct the failure to feed the primer when that occurred. There was an INGOER who did an extensive review on set up, running, and trouble shooting a couple years ago. (That INGOER was an engineer and he eventually sold his Hornady due to the problems I experienced.)

I sold the Hornady to someone but still have some of the extras left. (If you end up getting a Hornady contact me as I my still have some of the extras you may want/need) I got about 65% of my original cost back. They are not the easiest to sell because there are significantly fewer Hornady reloaders owned. A survey of IDPA shooters at the national championship for the past 3 years reveals over 85% of the shooters who reload use a Dillon.

After I sold the Hornady I waited several months to try to find a used Dillon 650. They donÂ’t come up for sale very often and when they do they sell quickly and at about 90% or more of a new one. I found a used but barely used Dillon, 4 sets of dies and conversion kits, 2,000 empty .223 brass plus several hundred .45 acp, 9mm, and .38 spl cases plus some other odds and ends. Additional items that I also got included the strong mount, the powder checker and low primer sensor, and roller handle - all of which are extra over the cost plain press. My purchase price was $900 which also included the case feeder.

Re: the pros and cons of the Dillon. It is more expensive but it has a much better resale value and market acceptance than the Hornady. I personally think the case feeder AND the primer feeder are both superior to the Hornady. Additionally, the leverage system of the Dillon feels much better to me so I give the Dillon a plus in the ergonomics category as well. DillonÂ’s reputation for customer service and no BS warranty is legendary. I know several Dillon owners who speak anecdotally about the replacement parts and service provided by Dillon so I believe it to be accurate. I had a minor issue and Dillon sent me a free replacement part without issue even though the part broke due to my operator error as I was learning to use the press. If the prices for each were the same there wouldnÂ’t even be a discussion. Dillon would win hands down. When you factor in price Hornady gets a check mark in that column - but IMO the addÂ’l cost is offset by the Dillon usability, reliability, warranty, and resaleability. If youÂ’re into loading rifle for accuracy I keep the single stage press. Use the progressive for production work.

If you want to get a hands on demonstration of a Dillon and youÂ’re willing to travel to Zionsville you can take a look at mine. There is also a retailer in Shelbyville that sells Dillon reloaders that getsgood reviews from INGOERS. Good luck with your search.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Let me start by saying I decided to get a progressive reloader because I began shooting IDPA and USPSA - 9mm. I was not new to reloading, but had only had a single stage press. I did a TON of research. Notwithstanding price, the Hornady LnL was comparable to the Dillon 650 when looking at the number of die stations, powder measure, case feeder, etc. per the literature each provides. I decided to purchase the Hornady LnL press because it was less expensive and I fell into a deal on a used but “new” case feeder. I liked the idea of being able to change over from one caliber to the next by switching out the dies using the Hornady bushings. The switch from small to large primers was easy and the powder measure provides large and small metering change over pretty easily. I loaded about 10,000 rounds over a 3 year period of time. The press ran well for me with two exceptions: I could never get the case feeder to work smoothly. Believe me, I looked at every YouTube video I could find and called Hornady. Never did discover a “fix”. I would say the case feeder worked correctly about 60% of the time. I.e. 6 out of 10 cases dropped and were fed properly on to the shell plate without me having to make an adjustment by hand. The second “issue” I found problematic was the primer feed. It worked well most of the time. However, when it failed to feed a primer into position there was no way of knowing until the powder spilled onto the shell plate. A Dillon alarm was said to be modifiable to catch the low primer status, but it wouldn’t correct the failure to feed the primer when that occurred. There was an INGOER who did an extensive review on set up, running, and trouble shooting a couple years ago. (That INGOER was an engineer and he eventually sold his Hornady due to the problems I experienced.)

I sold the Hornady to someone but still have some of the extras left. (If you end up getting a Hornady contact me as I my still have some of the extras you may want/need) I got about 65% of my original cost back. They are not the easiest to sell because there are significantly fewer Hornady reloaders owned. A survey of IDPA shooters at the national championship for the past 3 years reveals over 85% of the shooters who reload use a Dillon.

After I sold the Hornady I waited several months to try to find a used Dillon 650. They donÂ’t come up for sale very often and when they do they sell quickly and at about 90% or more of a new one. I found a used but barely used Dillon, 4 sets of dies and conversion kits, 2,000 empty .223 brass plus several hundred .45 acp, 9mm, and .38 spl cases plus some other odds and ends. Additional items that I also got included the strong mount, the powder checker and low primer sensor, and roller handle - all of which are extra over the cost plain press. My purchase price was $900 which also included the case feeder.

Re: the pros and cons of the Dillon. It is more expensive but it has a much better resale value and market acceptance than the Hornady. I personally think the case feeder AND the primer feeder are both superior to the Hornady. Additionally, the leverage system of the Dillon feels much better to me so I give the Dillon a plus in the ergonomics category as well. DillonÂ’s reputation for customer service and no BS warranty is legendary. I know several Dillon owners who speak anecdotally about the replacement parts and service provided by Dillon so I believe it to be accurate. I had a minor issue and Dillon sent me a free replacement part without issue even though the part broke due to my operator error as I was learning to use the press. If the prices for each were the same there wouldnÂ’t even be a discussion. Dillon would win hands down. When you factor in price Hornady gets a check mark in that column - but IMO the addÂ’l cost is offset by the Dillon usability, reliability, warranty, and resaleability. If youÂ’re into loading rifle for accuracy I keep the single stage press. Use the progressive for production work.

If you want to get a hands on demonstration of a Dillon and youÂ’re willing to travel to Zionsville you can take a look at mine. There is also a retailer in Shelbyville that sells Dillon reloaders that getsgood reviews from INGOERS. Good luck with your search.

Thank you, that was incredibly helpful! No sure if I’d be able to make it there for a while, but I’ll definitely keep your offer in mind. TY

Top Bottom