• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I see over and over again, people doing reloading math about how cheap they load, and their primer cost is calculated at $19.00 per 1,000 and bragging about how other people spend too much. I understand if you stocked up years ago, but it’s not relevant. If you are buying at $19 after tax/shipping for 1,000 primers now, share your source! They say, just buy in bulk!!! I do for everything, but even 5k primers I find at $30/1000 plus hazmat and shipping. Where are these braggers getting primers for $19 our the door for 1,000? Or are they just braggers? Link please.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Cabela's is known for having periodic sales on S&B primers for $19.99/1,000 plus tax. I don't know where you would buy fresh, new primers for less than that even when buying 5,000 at a time. On the other hand, you can find older primers a little bit cheaper now and then if you don't mind using dribs and drabs. I picked up a total of four 100 round sleeves of primers at the Marion Co Gunshow this past weekend for $1 each ($10/1,000). Probably not good for match ammo, but just fine for plinking or informal trap shooting (one sleeve of large rifle, one sleeve Rem #57 shotgun, and two sleeves of Win 209 shotgun). I picked up two 1,000 round sleeves of 1960s Herter's large pistol primers at Knob Creek for $15/K and I'm sure they will run just fine when I load them in 45acp for my open-bolt subgun (still waiting on transfer). I've picked up similar bargains at auctions and other gunshows over the years, but the Cabela's deal is the best I've seen on new stuff.

ETA: Also at the Marion Co Gunshow, a friend picked up 7,000 Winchester "white box" primers (probably 1990s vintage) for $20/K out the door. The sticker price was $25/K, but my friend managed to get the deal by buying all the vendor had left.

Last edited:

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Keep an eye on Cabela's. They run S&B primers on sale for $19.99 pretty often. That's what I'm currently using.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Keep an eye on Cabela's. They run S&B primers on sale for $19.99 pretty often. That's what I'm currently using.

+1 on the Cabelas sales. That being said i did notice that my loader didn't like feeding them. Granted I am not running a high dollar loader and in reference to others on here I am "new" to reloading. I probably have 8K rounds under my belt but the Lee did not like to feed them very well.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Thats the secret for us. Keep an eye on Cabelas. The S&Bs run great in a Horn L-n-L AP. I'll admit, I'm a tightwad on primers. Refuse to pay $30- $35 / 1000. Even when Cabelas had S&B on 'sale' for $24 something earlier this spring I didn't buy. I'll wait for $19.95. :yesway: My son knows when primers are on sale at Cabelas, we are probably going. He'll have a list of fishing stuff he is wanting. :)

Or when you pick up some reloading equipment/components right here on :ingo:. Usually someone is 'cleaning out', moving, or getting out of reloading or ???.
    They also make for good bartering... Had a neighbor that needed some help. Found out he was into reloading. A brick of small pistol primers instead of $. For sure.

Last edited:

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Buying 5,000 primers isn't buying in bulk. For primers, I would say 50,000 is the start of bulk since that is how many can be shipped for a single hazmat charge I think. Spreading out the cost matters. Larger amounts can be purchased much cheaper if you can arrange pickup or have the supplier bring stuff along to a nearby event, which is what I've done for years. And don't forget, cash is king.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good advice on the Cabelas S&B. Sounds like no one has had issues with them?

Maybe we could remember to bump this thread next time Cabelas has these on sale? :ingo:

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Good advice on the Cabelas S&B. Sounds like no one has had issues with them?

Maybe we could remember to bump this thread next time Cabelas has these on sale? :ingo:

Cabelas S&B have been on backorder for months. Ask me how I know. With no resupply in sight, they agreed to swap them out with Winchester.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Cabelas S&B have been on backorder for months. Ask me how I know. With no resupply in sight, they agreed to swap them out with Winchester.

Wow, that is pretty awesome. I have read a couple of other stories online of folks having their order cancelled by Cabela's because of the backorder situation. Good for you!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Wow, that is pretty awesome. I have read a couple of other stories online of folks having their order cancelled by Cabela's because of the backorder situation. Good for you!

Thats interesting... Did they allow backorders when they were on sale? SR, LR's are in stock on-line for $27.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Thats interesting... Did they allow backorders when they were on sale? SR, LR's are in stock on-line for $27.

They did. I placed the backorder the last day of the sale when the shelves were empty. Their system wouldn’t allow an override of the hazmat, but they deducted the $20-30(whatever it was) off the bullets I bought in the store that day. Pretty good CS.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013

They were going to cancel. I suggested the swap with Winchester expecting a polite “no”. They initially said yes, +$5/box. Since I paid with a gift card at time of order and their delay caused monthly fees to eat into the value of the GC, they also made even swap. I was highly impressed. Only regret was not ordering more in the first place!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I got 60k CCI primers from a Cabelas sale 6 years ago. $15/k. I got 40k Wolf for $13k 7 years ago from somewhere I can't remember. A year and a half ago I got 70k S&B primers for $17/k from a sale. I can go on...

The key is to be ready to jump on sales and max out shipping/hazmat. If you are at the mercy of the retailer Right Now then you pay what you pay. Deals are out there but most people don't look for them or are prepared with the cash. Then they get caught when the shortage happens and cry about how unfair life is. I might wait several years for a good deal, meanwhile I'm shooting cheap from the last one.

Btw, same goes for powder and projectiles.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Details please. How did you get that price? 6 years ago things were in pretty short supply.

I'm not going to swear to the year, I'd have to look at the dates on the boxes. It was between the last two shortages when supply was coming online again. I saw the deal and dumped all of my spare cash into it. The normal price per k of CCI at the time was $26.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I'm not going to swear to the year, I'd have to look at the dates on the boxes. It was between the last two shortages when supply was coming online again. I saw the deal and dumped all of my spare cash into it. The normal price per k of CCI at the time was $26.

That makes some sense. After I posted, the thought of Cabela's military discount crossed my mind. If you add that discount on top of a sale price, you can get an even better deal. Props for throwing down that big when the deal was right. I've never had a score that big on primers. Bullets? Sure, a couple of times, but not primers.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I got 60k CCI primers from a Cabelas sale 6 years ago. $15/k. I got 40k Wolf for $13k 7 years ago from somewhere I can't remember. A year and a half ago I got 70k S&B primers for $17/k from a sale. I can go on...

The key is to be ready to jump on sales and max out shipping/hazmat. If you are at the mercy of the retailer Right Now then you pay what you pay. Deals are out there but most people don't look for them or are prepared with the cash. Then they get caught when the shortage happens and cry about how unfair life is. I might wait several years for a good deal, meanwhile I'm shooting cheap from the last one.

Btw, same goes for powder and projectiles.

:yesway: :yesway: I like how you think!

Top Bottom