Isthe jury in on coated 9mm 115/124grn bullets fo reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Would people who have been reloading with coated 9mm 115 or 124 grain bullets please share with me if you feel they are equal to or better than the cheapest plated of jacketed bulk bullets for reloading. I am starting to shoot much more now so I will need to begin reloading in much greater quantities and would like to give coated bullets a try as they are very a
    great economical alternative to plated or FMJ bullets for practice and plinking.

And if indeed you're sold on them where do you buy them from at the best price VS quality?

Thanks,
    Art.

JMitch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2015
    Greenwood
    I have used coated bullets from SNS Casting and been very pleased.

There is a line of thought out there that jacked are most accurate followed by coated and then plated. I have used all from various companies and been satisfied.

I did note that coated achieved slightly higher velocity when the other elements of the load were equal.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I've been pleased with all the coated bullets I've used ranging from SNS Casting, The Blue Bullet, and Eggleston. The coating on SNS is certainly the smoothest of these. The Blue Bullet is almost chalky and gets on your fingers both reloading and at the range, however their 147 grain bullets grouped significantly tighter in multiple guns than any of the 115 or 125 bullets I've shot. I haven't shot any other brands of 147 grain so don't know if it is the brand, or the weight.

The only issue I've had is that I have an M&P with a tight chamber and I've had issues w/ cartridges refusing to chamber with the .356" dia bullets even though the cartridges are well within SAMI specs. For that gun, I've had to stick with plated bullets, typically either Berry's or eXtreme, which are sized at .355".

--Rick

KR629

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2018
    Marysvile
    I’ve shot thousands of Eggleston coated bullets. No problems in any of my pistols. I’ve pushed 158gr. 357 coated bullets to 1250 FPS with great accuracy and no fouling. I had shoot cast bullets for years, after switching to coated bullets I’m never going back.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I've had great success with Acme bullets in both 115gr and 124gr. Much cleaner than traditional cast lead and cheaper than plated.

I'm sold on the concept.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I tried a box of SNS last year. I had a few times that I could not "unload and show clear" due to the bullet being stuck/sealed to the barrel/lands (?) I still am not sure if the OAL was long on those rounds (and just wedged into the lands) or if the coating was sticking to the hot breech. They were fine other than that.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I tried a box of SNS last year. I had a few times that I could not "unload and show clear" due to the bullet being stuck/sealed to the barrel/lands (?) I still am not sure if the OAL was long on those rounds (and just wedged into the lands) or if the coating was sticking to the hot breech. They were fine other than that.

This is the exact thing that was happening to me with my M&P I mentioned above. After extensive research, I finally determined that the bullet wasn't touching the lands, but the cartridge was just large enough that the brass was sticking to the chamber walls right at the lip. Jacketed and plated bullets are sized to .355" dia. Cast and coated bullets are typically sized at .356. The OD measurements showed that the loaded rounds are that .001 bigger and that seems to be the difference. Note that this isn't just an issue with SNS bullets, as this firearm also has issues with Eggleston bullets. Both brands however function perfectly in every other 9mm gun I have.

Regardless of the cause, it is VERY annoying! Luckily it has been with informal practice and not during a match.

--Rick

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Less smoky for sure. I was reading recently that someone shot some in a suppressed pistol and it did leave a lot of residue, so, like lead bullets, I wouldn't use them with my suppressor. Accuracy just seems okay. Check your belling and crimp by pulling the first seated bullet. The coating shouldn't be scraped by insufficient belling or cutting into the coating by over crimping.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have shot boxes of Bayou Bullets in 9mm and .45 acp. No problems at all.

My my dad has switched to SNS.

JMitch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2015
    Greenwood
    I have noticed that with some of my 9mm cartridges they don’t plunk and spin in all of my chambers. This is due to the profile of the ogive of the bullet itself. I recommend starting long and adjust seating depth until you can plunk and spin without touching the lands in that chamber or the tightest one as long as it is within recommended COL.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Do it yourself...

I like me some 124/125gr. cast bullets,especially in 9MM .I do my own powder coat and have a good time doing it..

No lube smoke-works GREAT in ALL barrels, even GLOCKS...
    Can pick my own colors..

Take the time and do it yourself..Bill..

JohnArgent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2018
    Colorado Springs
    I have used the hitek coating from Australia and been very impressed been thinking of trying powder coat to compare. I do know that the hitek I have coated up some 150 gr lee 308 loaded them in a 30-06 with a max charge of 4064 fired 5 rounds out of a savage and had zero leading. as for accuracy dont know yet the wind was gusting at 40 miles an hour that day and I was unable to stay on target standing at 100 yards and have not been back for several months. Pistol has been just as accurate as jacketed and definitely cheaper.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have used the hitek coating from Australia and been very impressed been thinking of trying powder coat to compare. I do know that the hitek I have coated up some 150 gr lee 308 loaded them in a 30-06 with a max charge of 4064 fired 5 rounds out of a savage and had zero leading. as for accuracy dont know yet the wind was gusting at 40 miles an hour that day and I was unable to stay on target standing at 100 yards and have not been back for several months. Pistol has been just as accurate as jacketed and definitely cheaper.
    I don't see that coated bullets are that much cheaper than jacketed. I can get some bulk 124 gr. FMJ 9mm bullets, in bulk, for .078 ea. and 124 gr. powder coated bullets for 9mm, in bulk, for .074 ea. That's not even 20 cents less per box of 50 than FMJ.

JohnArgent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2018
    Colorado Springs
    I don't see that coated bullets are that much cheaper than jacketed. I can get some bulk 124 gr. FMJ 9mm bullets, in bulk, for .078 ea. and 124 gr. powder coated bullets for 9mm, in bulk, for .074 ea. That's not even 20 cents less per box of 50 than FMJ.

I would agree in that situation, but mine is a little different I cast and reload for my own enjoyment, an hour in the reloading room is better than an hour watching crappy TV. My lead was acquired free or cheap and currently the majority of my lead is shot into my own backstop and I reclaim it and start over. I will have to correct myself you made a very valid point so my statement should have been it can be cheaper in the right circumstances.

So how ever we acquire the ammo keep shooting and having fun.

Top Bottom