Affordable bulk 9mm for knocking down steel???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Soooooo...

I was at my first USPSA practice last week. I was shooting some standard reloaded 115gr 9mm Freedom Munitions I got on a sale once years ago. I was running it through my G19.

There was one stage where I was hitting larger steel poppers, but they were not dropping. I had to shoot them 3-4 times before they dropped. Others were shooting 9mm guns and dropping the steel. However, they were running full sized guns...ie...5" or longer barrels. And I am not sure what ammo they were running.

To date, I have never had a squib or ammo malfunction with Freedom stuff. They just don't seem to knock the steel over. But all my G19's, my G26 and my Beretta 92 function fine with it. Last month I had a case of factory Remington ammo that had 3 primers loaded backwards. That stunned me...never seen that before.

Anyway, I am looking for affordable 9mm bulk ammo that is loaded on the hotter side. I have seen that the Brown Bear steel cased ammo tends to chrono around the 1300 fps mark. But then you get all the problems that steel cased Russian ammo brings...hard primers, excessively dirty, potentially increased wear on a few parts, ext.

So maybe I need to look for 124gr NATO loads? I have not seen much of that in bulk available though. But I have not used my Google Fu to really research that. I am sure someone had this problem before, but I could not find anything specifically addressing this by searching here at INGO.

What words of wisdom do you have for me INGO?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'd just step up to the 147 gr from Freedom. I used it at my first USPSA match a few weeks ago and it worked for me. But I was using 5.25 inch barrel.

I've plinked steel with it out of a 4" barrel and it worked good.

I bought mine through LAX ammo which is pretty much the same as freedom.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I'd just step up to the 147 gr from Freedom. I used it at my first USPSA match a few weeks ago and it worked for me. But I was using 5.25 inch barrel.

I've plinked steel with it out of a 4" barrel and it worked good.

I bought mine through LAX ammo which is pretty much the same as freedom.

Duh....I don't know why I didn't think of 147gr. It seems that there is not near as many offerings in that weight though. I will start using my Google Fu to see what I can find.

Thanks!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I use it all the time for practice. Thousands of rounds without an issue.

It feels much closer to HSTs than the Freedom did.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You could also try Freedom's 135 grain stuff. It might help. I have shot steel poppers with them but I like the way they shoot.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Seems weird however that the 115 gr. ammo would not knock over the steel.

I normally shoot 124 gr. for steel challenge matches that often have plate racks, and I have also shot a few USPSA matches with a 9mm and it knocks over poppers without issue. I also have a buddy that I shoot with that shoots the 115 gr. bullets no problem, and it knocks them over every time.

For sure the 147 gr. will knock things over, and I also know my 124 gr. will knock them over.

Was this a bad batch? Something wrong with the gun? Did you hit the popper in the right place towards the top?

There is a Rob Leatham video out there where he is hitting poppers at different heights and seeing what falls. I don't remember the exact context of the video now, but it might be worth a search. I tried my Google Fu, but failed unfortunately...

Good luck, and hopefully, you will get this figured out.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Seems weird however that the 115 gr. ammo would not knock over the steel.

I normally shoot 124 gr. for steel challenge matches that often have plate racks, and I have also shot a few USPSA matches with a 9mm and it knocks over poppers without issue. I also have a buddy that I shoot with that shoots the 115 gr. bullets no problem, and it knocks them over every time.

For sure the 147 gr. will knock things over, and I also know my 124 gr. will knock them over.

Was this a bad batch? Something wrong with the gun? Did you hit the popper in the right place towards the top?

Well, we shot some smaller plates, 4 inch plates I think, and it worked fine for that.

And it knocked over the smaller poppers. It was only the bigger poppers that were an issue.

Here is a link that shows the shape of the popper. Although I have no clue what brand they use at this range.

https://sitargets.com/product/42-heavy-duty-pepper-popper-ar500-steel/

If you look at the link above, I was putting my hits in the circle part of the popper. So towards the top half. I guess if I keep using this ammo, I will have to use the tippity top narrow section on the large poppers.

I don't think it's a bad batch. I have used this Freedom Munitions ammo in 5 different guns and I have not had any ammo malfunctions in any of them. Never had issues with Federal or Fiocchi ammo either. I can't say that for some other factory brands. I have had primer and bullet issues with both Winchester and Remington.

I can't imagine how my G19 could have caused this. It functioned flawlessly during practice, so I don't see how that would have a part to play in the bullets velocity or the pounds of force it puts on target.

I am guessing that my particular batch of ammo might be loaded on the lighter side. And since I am shooting a 9mm, if I keep using this ammo I will have to hit the big poppers at the tippity top narrow section.

If that doesn't work, or once I use this batch up, it seems to me I will have to move to 147gr rounds.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Dang. It seems that you have your bases covered well on function, other than your comment about a possible light load.

Try the 147 gr. for sure, and since you are testing, try some 124 gr. They are less expensive in most cases. I think the 147s tend to be softer shooters for the most part, but it wouldn't hurt to try both the 124s and the 147s to see what you come up with.

Hope you get it worked out.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Sellier & Bellot 115gr is on the stout side. plenty safe just not an the minimum load.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: 115gr is usually loaded light because that's what the general public of non-physics majors of the gun toting public expect and who are the manufacturers to not give users what they expect. nevermind that the actual power (product of the load vs weight) of the round has to be in a narrow margin to fully cycle the action without breaking it, people think the lower number will be lower power because it's a lower number. Along with that, when you're making bullets by the 10,000s, saving half a cent on powder to just reach the minimum power pays off (in today's market that might double your profit!).

higher bullet weights tend to feel softer because the recoil impulse is more gradual: all else being equal, heavier bullet accelerates slower and takes longer to leave the muzzle so there's longer for the powder to act on it at the same or lower pressure. same energy (as described above) but longer push instead of a sharp punch.

Often those poppers are calibrated to higher power factor loads, using min-spec 9 just doesn't cut it. You can also help by hitting the target as far from the fulcrum as possible: leverage is your friend.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    USPSA? Time to buy a press.

I wish I hadn't put it off and started loading several years earlier. YOU can control your QC. No more worrying about chrono or PF. And save some $ in the long run. You can use 147s w/o breaking the bank.

BTW: I loose 5 PF going from my G34 to my G19 w/ my load.

also, Steel is the reason I 1) use 147s, 2) load for 133-135 PF.

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom