• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all - the title says it all. I'm finishing up some of my current powders, and looking at other oprtons.
    I'm looking for a decent powder (meaning relatively clean, good/consistent burn, easy measuring) to reload .45 acp and .38spl.
    Not max loads, just plinking loads.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    What powders are you using now? With these two calibers, there is a BIG variety that can be used for plinking ammo.

I've used and liked Clays, Red Dot, 700-x, and Win-231/HP-38 in both calibers and all of them perform about the same for plinking loads. Clays was the cleanest and Red Dot was probably the dirtiest, but still not bad (Unique and Herco are dirtier for example). I tend to stick with the classic powders - a lot more data out there for them (other pistol calibers, odd bullet weights, shotgun use, etc).

Right now I'm using Red Dot for 45acp. My load is 5.0 grs on my Dillon 550. This weight falls into the charge range for most bullets, so most of the time there is no need to make adjustments to the measure - easy-peasy!

I had the easiest time getting accuracy in .38 Spl with Clays and 700-x. In full wadcutter loads, Clays was a little more accurate and a little cleaner burning. For +P loads with RN lead bullets, 700-x was my preference - the extra pressure seemed to clean up the burn and increase consistency. Of the two, Clays is a little more consistent through a powder measure in my experience. 700-x might be a little cheaper and is probably more versatile.

Also, I've used Bullseye in both calibers, but I was never really satisfied with it. Others will be big fans of this powder for both calibers and there is nothing wrong with that, it just never seemed worth bothering with since other powders were cheaper and more versatile (1 1/8 oz trap loads in 12ga for example).

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    When I was researching to start loading (not so long ago) I had assembled all of my tools needed but was looking at components.
    I mentioned to a friend (over-the-road trucker) that I was getting ready to start.
    He called me one day and asked what powder(s) I wanted. Said he was standing at a sporting goods store looking at shelves full of powders and asked, "What do you want?"

I told him I really didn't know. I hadn't had time to look at my load manuals.
    He said, "Well look at them and tell me what you want".
    I did a VERY fast search through 4 different load manuals looking for powders that were used across a variety of calibers.

My friend ended up bringing me 3 8lb jugs. One each of Red, Blue, and Green Dot.
    I've loaded quite a bit of .45acp and a handful of .38spl with Red Dot.
    It was a bit dirty, but I really had no experience to compare to other than factory offerings.

It may be dirty, but Red Dot is one of the lesser expensive powders, and it does work pretty well for range ammo.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I use Titegroup for both 9mm and 45acp. When Cabelas has their reloading sale i can usually get it for $19.99 per bound. I have had no issues using it and seems to be a very consistent powder when measuring it out too

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I used 231 for 30 years or so until a few years ago when I used the last of a can at the bench and discovered that was the last I had. I thought I had another 24# keg stored but was mistaken. At that time there was no 231 to be found but I did find 6 8# jugs of titegroup during my travels and I knew a lot of guys liked it so I brought it home. Performance wise I consider it on par with 231 although using different charge weights of course. As to staying clean, it's not the cleanest but I don't pay much attention to that as long as it does what I want and stays consistent and it does that rather well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for posting guys. I'm going to start shooting .38 this year and will be reloading them. I have some of the powders mentioned so I will start with them. I also have 4lbs of Trail Boss to try. My nephew claims it works well for his IDPA games.

Top Bottom