• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    USSOCOM Small Arms Modernization Update - Soldier Systems Daily

After testing, commercial Gold Dot G2 is the chosen ammo for USSOCOM to use in their Glock 17 pistols. Note this was also the favorite from the FBI testing and was the most "barrier blind" ammo tested, although the FBI is also buying other 147 gr offerings due to some arcane federal contract rules I don't understand (they apparently have to "spread the love" and can only buy so much from one manufacturer before moving to another manufacturer who also performed up to snuff and now it's Hornady's turn after they bought the limit on Speer). It is incredibly consistent through all types of barriers.

[video=youtube;7OkzN5_FeGY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OkzN5_FeGY[/video]

So, another win for a heavy for caliber bonded bullet.

If you choose to also carry the G2 Gold Dots, be aware there was a recall of an early batch of the ammunition that should be "training only". That ammo has silver primers, should be in packaging labeled as training only, and should not be used for carry (it's safe and accurate, it's just the bullet isn't going to perform as expected). The rumor mill says that some unscrupulous dealers repackaged recall/training only ammo as carry ammo. I'd not be surprised if some isn't still floating around at gun shows, etc so check your primer color. Gold primer ammo = good to go.

Note it is roughly 40% more expensive than the HST, also a top performer. Not a big deal for a few boxes, maybe a big deal for a few thousand.

Personally, I'm more of a handgun guy, but for you long gun fans load development is apparently still underway for the 6.5 Creedmore. Also of interest is they are working to develop a polymer cased cartridge for weight reduction. I'm way out of my wheelhouse on this, but it seems to be neck tension and resistance to bullet setback would be harder to control with polymer vs brass. Reloading probably isn't a concern for USSOCOM, but I would also suppose polymer would be tougher to stretch and recrimp if it did filter to the commercial market.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I don't believe polymer cases would be suitable for reloading, although stranger things have happened.

6.5 CreedMOOR, named after the famous shooting range in New York, where some of the most prominent early shooting matches were held.

Top Bottom