Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Plinker

User Info Menu

I'm all for supporting local businesses and/or Cabela's and the like, but if you have Amazon Prime, you can get things like this in a couple of days. They actually have a fair amount of reloading tools/dies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    Whip McCord is correct, the Lee factory crimp die with the carbide ring in it base, is nothing more than a cheat for people who do not trim their cases.

Two things you never see, pistol shooters trimming their cases or annealing pistol cases.

A long case will bulge below the crimp and the carbide ring will size the bulge. And it will also size larger diameter cast bullets and cause leading and decreased accuracy.

Bottom line, the Lee FCD is designed for standard diameter jacketed and plated bullets.
    If you are bulging the case, you are not doing it right. I've been using one for many years and on many types of bullets and never had any problems with it. Just saying.
    1911s are like Glocks except they are for grown-ups.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Richardson View Post
    If you are bulging the case, you are not doing it right. I've been using one for many years and on many types of bullets and never had any problems with it. Just saying.
    If the cases are not trimmed to the same length the longer cases will have more crimp than the shorter cases. And the longer cases when crimped can cause the case to bulge below the crimp. And the carbide ring will size any crimp bulge, and thicker cases and oversized cast bullets will be reduced in diameter.

Lee Factory Crimp die for Handgun Cartridges and Cast Bullets
    Last edited by bigedp51; 1 Week Ago at 14:19.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jrh84 View Post
    I'm all for supporting local businesses and/or Cabela's and the like, but if you have Amazon Prime, you can get things like this in a couple of days. They actually have a fair amount of reloading tools/dies.
    They got everything! I just joined. Been placing some orders. They even drop on Sunday.

I ordered mower engine parts and tools. Cheap price coupled with free two day shipping. I'm totally loving it!
    I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on.

User Info Menu

Was just at Bradi's II, and they had all sorts of Lee reloading stuff. I picked up a .44 Mag FCD, they had a bunch of other cals as well.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by following2dp View Post
    Was just at Bradi's II, and they had all sorts of Lee reloading stuff. I picked up a .44 Mag FCD, they had a bunch of other cals as well.
    Thanks. That is the kind of information I was hoping to get. I like supporting the local guy and will buy online if I can't find it local. If the weather holds, I will get the bike out and take a quick ride to Camby.

User Info Menu

I stopped using them on my progressive press. It takes extra effort to raise the ram when you are sizing in station one, belling in station 2, powder drop in 3, seating in 4 and size/crimp in 5. Then size again in 5 as you lower the ram. things get stiff and jerky and I lose the feel for whats going on. Everything runs much smoother now that I switched to a standard taper die for 9/45. Revolver loads get roll crimped by seater die. More parts for the "live and Learn" bin.
    A CLEAR CONSCIENCE IS USUALLY THE SIGN OF A SELECTIVE MEMORY.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2