• ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Anyone know of a shop around Indy that stocks Lee factory crimp dies? I’m looking for pistol calibers specifically. 9mm, 10mm, and 45 ACP specifically.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Beacause im impatient and want to run some rounds through my Dillon to shoot this week. :DI already saw midway had them on sale and will order them if no one local has them.
    If I order on Monday morning, things are in my hand Wednesday afternoon between 1 and 3. Hasn't failed over many dollars of product and many years.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    If you load cast or coated bullets that are larger than nominal diameter, do not use the FCD. They size the loaded round and will reduce the size of your bullet. I load my 9mm Sigs with .357" coated bullets. My revolvers use .358" swaged bullets. I do not use FCD for them. Just wanted to let you know, in case you were not aware of the sizing portion of the FCD.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Whip McCord is correct, the Lee factory crimp die with the carbide ring in it base, is nothing more than a cheat for people who do not trim their cases.

Two things you never see, pistol shooters trimming their cases or annealing pistol cases.

A long case will bulge below the crimp and the carbide ring will size the bulge. And it will also size larger diameter cast bullets and cause leading and decreased accuracy.

Bottom line, the Lee FCD is designed for standard diameter jacketed and plated bullets.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm all for supporting local businesses and/or Cabela's and the like, but if you have Amazon Prime, you can get things like this in a couple of days. They actually have a fair amount of reloading tools/dies.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Whip McCord is correct, the Lee factory crimp die with the carbide ring in it base, is nothing more than a cheat for people who do not trim their cases.

Two things you never see, pistol shooters trimming their cases or annealing pistol cases.

A long case will bulge below the crimp and the carbide ring will size the bulge. And it will also size larger diameter cast bullets and cause leading and decreased accuracy.

Bottom line, the Lee FCD is designed for standard diameter jacketed and plated bullets.
    If you are bulging the case, you are not doing it right. I've been using one for many years and on many types of bullets and never had any problems with it. Just saying.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    If you are bulging the case, you are not doing it right. I've been using one for many years and on many types of bullets and never had any problems with it. Just saying.

If the cases are not trimmed to the same length the longer cases will have more crimp than the shorter cases. And the longer cases when crimped can cause the case to bulge below the crimp. And the carbide ring will size any crimp bulge, and thicker cases and oversized cast bullets will be reduced in diameter.

Lee Factory Crimp die for Handgun Cartridges and Cast Bullets

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I'm all for supporting local businesses and/or Cabela's and the like, but if you have Amazon Prime, you can get things like this in a couple of days. They actually have a fair amount of reloading tools/dies.

They got everything! I just joined. Been placing some orders. They even drop on Sunday.

I ordered mower engine parts and tools. Cheap price coupled with free two day shipping. I'm totally loving it!

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Was just at Bradi's II, and they had all sorts of Lee reloading stuff. I picked up a .44 Mag FCD, they had a bunch of other cals as well.

Thanks. That is the kind of information I was hoping to get. I like supporting the local guy and will buy online if I can't find it local. If the weather holds, I will get the bike out and take a quick ride to Camby.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    I stopped using them on my progressive press. It takes extra effort to raise the ram when you are sizing in station one, belling in station 2, powder drop in 3, seating in 4 and size/crimp in 5. Then size again in 5 as you lower the ram. things get stiff and jerky and I lose the feel for whats going on. Everything runs much smoother now that I switched to a standard taper die for 9/45. Revolver loads get roll crimped by seater die. More parts for the "live and Learn" bin.

Top Bottom