• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    So I’ve got a lot of 223 brass, some in different stages than others. I’d like to try to go with all one brand to minimize sorting. I understand ‘12 LC vs ‘02 LC will different, but I assume just the same as PMC unknown vs PMC unknown. So, looking to choose one brand (likely LC or Federal) and trade off the rest I have for that type.

I have a bunch I’ve processed, but what is the value of the processing?

-Say I’m trading federal that’s tumbled, lubed, deprimed resized, chamfered, debured, swaged and I’m trading for dirty once fired LC, do I trade 1.5 to 1? 2 to 1? Do people not value it any different?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    do I trade 1.5 to 1? 2 to 1?

You will find that most WANT to trade 1 for 1.

That, my friend, is the people who have NOT Processed 5.56 cases...

I would say that ONE of your Processed is worth TWO of theirs..

Awhile back, I tried to get a fair price on processed brass and most did not want to pay much more than scrap brass prices..There is just TOO much .223/5.56 free, or next to free brass out there..

And, YES, I too have enough processed brass to last me a lifetime..Bill.

Last edited:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    You will find that most WANT to trade 1 for 1..

I would say your processed brass is worth 2 of theirs..

That, my friend, is the people who have NOT Processed 5.56 cases...

Awhile back, I tried to get a fair price on processed brass and most did not want to pay much more than scrap brass prices..There is just TOO much .223/5.56 free, or next to free brass out there..

And, YES, I too have enough processed brass to last me a lifetime..Bill.

Ya! Processing several thousands brass fully takes a ridiculously long time and lot of cramps even with a prepping setup!

edit: perhaps it would be beneficial for me to offer up trade for what I’m looking for for the same condition of the brass. IE Processed federal for processed LC, unprocessed PMC for unprocessed LC, etc.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    If I was going to trade, I would want 3 to 1. Headstone doesn't mean that much to me. I have used just about all of them and most do a good job.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I personally would place a higher value on unprocessed brass if getting it from an individual if it is being represented as once fired. I like to see the primers to see if they look appropriate. I would not buy anything that someone else has reloaded previously, because I have in the past and had several hundred cases that went straight to scrap because the primer pockets were too loose. I would buy processed brass from a reputable company, but usually just process them myself since I don't mind the work and consider it a hobby in itself.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I personally would place a higher value on unprocessed brass if getting it from an individual if it is being represented as once fired. I like to see the primers to see if they look appropriate. I would not buy anything that someone else has reloaded previously, because I have in the past and had several hundred cases that went straight to scrap because the primer pockets were too loose. I would buy processed brass from a reputable company, but usually just process them myself since I don't mind the work and consider it a hobby in itself.

I'm in the bstewrat club for sure. I too have purchased "once fired" and several bags of it went into the scrap bucket:(

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    I'm in the bstewrat club for sure. I too have purchased "once fired" and several bags of it went into the scrap bucket:(

Amen to this. Plus my two cents worth.

People who want to trade you one for one are [in my personal experience] either new to reloading and have never processed cases in large quantities, or naive in general, or trying to get one over on you. Of course your mileage and experience may vary. . .

As for headstamps, I agree with Richardson for all but two very specialized circumstances: 1) loads at or approaching maximum safe pressures. Different cases have different internal capacities and these small differences can "bite you" at the high ends of the performance envelope, 2) for match shooting when only the absolute best performance is acceptable. PSA This doesn't apply to most people since premium gun/ammo combinations tend to be more accurate than the vast majority of shooters... And in the circles I travel in match shooters tend to start with new unprimed brass [which is then further sorted by weighing to .1 of a grain; BR shooting is a sickness custom designed for OCD :): ] and track the number of firings like a cenobite counting prayer beads.

There's nothing inherently wrong with loading mixed brass or using stuff of unknown origin as long as you pay proper attention to what you're doing. Heck I still bend over and pick up 5.56 at the range and I've got milk jugs of the stuff I use for glue weights in the shop. And for plinking and some "Lost Brass" ranges/courses brass is considered an expendible commodity anyway. But if it makes you feel better I recommend making a bulk buy of milsurp. Sort out what you want and you can almost always get your money back trading the rest of it around. Start with a big enough lot and it will outlast your lifetime. I'm still feeding an M1A surplus LC 72 cases I bought in the 80's.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom