• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    To be honest, probably shouldn’t call it precision. More precision oriented.
    Anyway, I have lots of Tac powder and reload both .308 and .223/5.56 with it for my bulk ammo. It meters great in my Dillon 650 and seems to burn relatively clean.
    So the question is what would I be losing out on by using it for my precision loads?
    I’ve worked out some decent recipes for more common precision powders like 4064 and Benchmark but I have pretty much ran out of those. I still have 30+ lbs of Tac.
    I’m not shooting true competition, more like just a group of friends getting together for bragging rights but I want to take as much gear out of the equation as I can, within reason.

Thanks, Matt

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Not really looking at powder choices, more asking how much I’m losing by using Tac over other choices. From my testing, if I wanted best for my .308 Savage with 175g SMKs, I’d use 40.1g of 4064.
    I don’t believe I have tried Varget but if Tac absolutely can’t get the job done for the type of shooting I intend, then I’ll be buying more powder and Tac will remain my bulk powder.

Matt

KR629

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2018
    Marysvile
    I have worked up some very accurate 223 loads with Tac using 77 gr Match Kings. I’ve also had great results with Tac in my 308 using 168 &175 gr Match Kings. Give it a try, you may be surprised.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    What kind of testing have you done with the TAC?

Varget is nice because it's very insensitive to temperature. Hot or cold, velocity remains pretty stable.
    Definitely won't meter as well as the TAC in the powder measure but for real bragging rights you may want to weigh every charge.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Not really looking at powder choices, more asking how much I’m losing by using Tac over other choices. From my testing, if I wanted best for my .308 Savage with 175g SMKs, I’d use 40.1g of 4064.
    I don’t believe I have tried Varget but if Tac absolutely can’t get the job done for the type of shooting I intend, then I’ll be buying more powder and Tac will remain my bulk powder.

Matt

I have a targetish load in 556 using TAC under a 69gr SMK. Its basically for when I want to be lazy and use my dillon while still getting a little accuracy. When I am serious I use Varget and the 69gr SMK, and weigh individual charges. At 500 yards the difference between the 2 loads is about 1/2-3/4 MOA.

Hope that helps.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I have a few boxes of the 69g SMKs but much greater supply of 77g SMKs.
    I think I’ll drag out the single stage press and scales and load up a ladder test with Tac.

I gotta say how surprised I am in the difference of two rifles. They behave like they are on opposite nodes. I have an AR I built for accuracy that likes totally different loads than my Savage bolt gun. What will shoot around 1 moa out of one gun will be lucky to do 3moa out of the other and vice-versa.

Matt

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Definitely leave the progressive for plinking loads. For precision get out the old single stage and measure each charge. Find an accuracy node then play with your coal

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    If you ever go to a serious benchrest match,where the guys shoot true one hole groups at 200 yards,where everyone loads at the range,you won't find anyone weighing powder.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    OK, I've only been in the accuracy game since 1975.
    Why do you want to argue about what works when the specific mass produced firearm isn't the point of discussion?

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    OK, I've only been in the accuracy game since 1975.
    Why do you want to argue about what works when the specific mass produced firearm isn't the point of discussion?

Due to my my lack of precise questions, while many responses to my IP weren’t really what I was after, they have been helpful. I have lots of Ramshot Tac and I’m out of most of the other more popular precision rifle powders. I was trying to ask, what am I missing out on, what properties about Tac are less than ideal for a precision powder?
    As to your comment about why not ask rifle specifics, I’m looking at attempting to use this Tac powder for both .308 and .223 and a number of different rifles. I know ideally I’d need to likely use different powders for the different calibers. There may even be a case in .223 where different powders may be desirable between a bolt gun and an AR.
    Part of my desire to use Tac is also that I haven’t developed my skills enough yet to be sure I’m taking advantage of the increased accuracy that Varget or 4064 or other powders may give me.

Thanks, Matt

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    IMG_8202 small.jpg

These are deer rounds - Ruger American .308, Leupold scope, Hornady 165 gr BTSP over 42.2 gr H4895, 2.83 OAL, CCI 200 primers. Four shots, 100 yards. Measured these carefully with a trickler. Coin is a quarter.

Last edited:

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    The powder measures the benchresters use are modified factory adjustable by clicks,you can look up Culver conversion and get an idea of how they work.They talk in terms of "clicks" instead of grains. I have been to the Super Shoot at Kelblys range in North Lawrence,Ohio,which is pretty much the world series of 100-300 yard benchrest.I'm sure there were some there,but I have never seen a set of scales.These guys shoot their 5 or 10 rounds,plus sighters,then go to their loading benches and reload,dumping powder straight from the measure.Most shoot an entire match,whether 5-5 shot groups or 5- 10 shot groups with the same 5 or 10 pieces of brass.

Top Bottom