Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 Gov't

Marksman

User Info Menu

Get a Lee two cavity 340 grain mold and some 3031. Best, most versitile I've found. You can also use Unique and Trail Boss for a plinking round.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thanks.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Unique and 2400 are your friend under a 300gr round nose flat point boolit.

I think my load was 12gr of 2400...mouse farts that drive tacks.

God bless
    Shred
    It's a trick..... get an axe.

Plinker

User Info Menu

We're going with the 340 grain boolit. I'll try some different powders, but I do have some Unique and some 3031. I still want to try a cardboard wad under this boolit. Half the fun is working up new loads. Thanks for all the input. Everything we need will be here by Friday. I'll report back on how things went after I get a chance to cast, load and test some rounds. Let the wild rumpus begin...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hey, stop by Paradise Pass the first Saturday of the month. We shoot longrange after the Cowboy match and you can see some .45-70's in action.
    We are South of Etna Green and the owner has a nice shop too. Two Bear Arms. Ask for Slim

User Info Menu

That's very interesting and not too far from Lake Wawasee where I spend much summer time. Now I might have to start looking for a lever gun to add to the toybox...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Cowboy clubs down by Indy too. Well, not too far away. All have great folks and you won't be a stranger more than a couple of minutes!

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan Slim View Post
    Hey, stop by Paradise Pass the first Saturday of the month. We shoot longrange after the Cowboy match and you can see some .45-70's in action.
    We are South of Etna Green and the owner has a nice shop too. Two Bear Arms. Ask for Slim
    I'll try to stop by. Etna Green is only 20 minutes away. Thanks.

Plinker

User Info Menu

BTW. Anybody ever hear of a smokeless powder called ALCAN? Specifically, AL-5 white flake. A friend purchased a box of reloader stuff at a yard sale a while back and there is a 8 oz little square container, metal top and bottom with foiled paper sides full of the stuff. Says it was made in Sweden for S&W-Fiocchi and cost $3.75. The powder inside looks fine and has the white flakes peppered throughout. Metal has very little surface rust. I'll try it if I can find some load data on it.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up 45-70 Cast Loads..

You got a GREAT old caliber to work with there..

FWIW: djones, here on INGO IS my GoTo loader/caster for this Big Bore load.

"D" has extensive knowledge on the heavy weight cast projectiles for the 45-70..

For me, I like the big ole 405gr. slug after I have Powder Coat painted..Bill.
    "It's more important to have a gun in your hand than a cop on the phone".

NRA Life Member since 1976+Outdoor Sportsman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast