• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    Just came in from running 20 rnds through this rifle. Shoots well, pretty to look at and leaves really big holes in tomato juice cans. My son wants to put a scope on it and use it for deer hunting this fall. I'm looking forward to working up some rounds that will work well in this gun. There's just something about lever guns.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've reloaded a wide variety of ammo for a 45/70 before and there's a wide variety you can do. You can get hard cast gas checked bullets that meant to do nothing more than separate flesh from soul on anything that was given the breath of life on this planet and your shoulder will hate every round of it you fire. You can also load up rounds that punch holes in paper just fine at any distance that feel like a little kitty just patted you on the shoulder.

If it were me, I'd make two different loads. One for deer hunting, and one for cheap plinking. For plinking go with something cheap and easy on your shoulder. For deer hunting I'd go with the 300gr or 350gr weight class and run it fast because there's a whole lot of drop in a 45/70 even in short distances that most people aren't used to. One option you're going to hear about is hornady leverolution ammo and beware I think they still make the factory brass for that round a touch shorter than standard dimension brass. It's only an issue if you plan to reload it with anything other than the leverolution type bullets. I'd recommend starline brass otherwise.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like teddy12b says, lots of variety in the 45-70. I would pick a mold between 350 and 400 grains if you are going to get just one. Big cavity molds fill out better if you cast them when the pot is full if you are using a bottom pour like the Lee. I would consider a gas check mold if you are going to stay at 350 grain and below.

The 500 grain bullets are pretty heavy for the relatively light weight Marlin, even a stout 400 grain load is going to wake you up.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Cast my own bullets for 4 different 4570's, my favorite rifle round.

I settled on a 420 gr FNPB- flat nose plain base (no gas check). Use a 45 caliber cardboard wad under the bullet. I load it to 1400-1800 fps depending on application.

I have bullet molds from 350 gr to 540 grain, even several for paper patching. They all work and are cheap/fun to shoot.

Very versatile round. Have fun!!

Don

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    Thanks all for the help. The stuff we shot up today was cowboy action ammo, 405 grain hardcast. It had very little recoil. I will probably look for a bullet mold in the 350-ish range. Never used a cardboard wad before, I may have to try that. How do you punch those out? Any powder recommendations? Thanks again.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    There are wad punches available online. Arch punches are cheap. Molds can be inexpensive and work, the bullet needs to fit the throat and be .002-.003" over the groove diameter.

Powder/loads are in all the manuals. It is a very versatile cartridge with tons of load data.

Don

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Get a Lee two cavity 340 grain mold and some 3031. Best, most versitile I've found. You can also use Unique and Trail Boss for a plinking round.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Unique and 2400 are your friend under a 300gr round nose flat point boolit.

I think my load was 12gr of 2400...mouse farts that drive tacks.

God bless
    Shred

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    We're going with the 340 grain boolit. I'll try some different powders, but I do have some Unique and some 3031. I still want to try a cardboard wad under this boolit. Half the fun is working up new loads. Thanks for all the input. Everything we need will be here by Friday. I'll report back on how things went after I get a chance to cast, load and test some rounds. Let the wild rumpus begin...

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Hey, stop by Paradise Pass the first Saturday of the month. We shoot longrange after the Cowboy match and you can see some .45-70's in action.
    We are South of Etna Green and the owner has a nice shop too. Two Bear Arms. Ask for Slim

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    That's very interesting and not too far from Lake Wawasee where I spend much summer time. Now I might have to start looking for a lever gun to add to the toybox...

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Cowboy clubs down by Indy too. Well, not too far away. All have great folks and you won't be a stranger more than a couple of minutes!

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    Hey, stop by Paradise Pass the first Saturday of the month. We shoot longrange after the Cowboy match and you can see some .45-70's in action.
    We are South of Etna Green and the owner has a nice shop too. Two Bear Arms. Ask for Slim

I'll try to stop by. Etna Green is only 20 minutes away. Thanks.

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    BTW. Anybody ever hear of a smokeless powder called ALCAN? Specifically, AL-5 white flake. A friend purchased a box of reloader stuff at a yard sale a while back and there is a 8 oz little square container, metal top and bottom with foiled paper sides full of the stuff. Says it was made in Sweden for S&W-Fiocchi and cost $3.75. The powder inside looks fine and has the white flakes peppered throughout. Metal has very little surface rust. I'll try it if I can find some load data on it.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    45-70 Cast Loads..

You got a GREAT old caliber to work with there..

FWIW: djones, here on INGO IS my GoTo loader/caster for this Big Bore load.

"D" has extensive knowledge on the heavy weight cast projectiles for the 45-70..

For me, I like the big ole 405gr. slug after I have Powder Coat painted..Bill.

Top Bottom