• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I went to the range today and took my Remington 597. I wanted to finish off one bulk pack and start a new one. I was shocked at the difference from POA to POI from two different manufactures, Winchester and Federal. Both 36g HP rated at 1260fps.
    IMG_20180608_151236715-756x1008-302x403.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    .22LR can drive you crazy. There are many firearms that are very ammo-specific, that like one brand and will shoot it with amazing accuracy. You get a great feeling that you and the rifle are amazing, then you try a different brand or weight or just different any your tack driver is either all over the place or as you found out, the rifle now shoots to a different point on the target.

Enough to test your sanity! :D

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Reason I dumped all my 22's. The quality of ammo sucks!

Bought ten different kinds of ammo and pissed around at the range for days.

My 20ga is getting the nod for squirrels. Shouldn't be a problem for my 17 to take head shots either.

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    This was only at 50 yards. My Remington isn't the most accurate rifle but fun for plinking. I need to try a few more makes to truly see what this rifle can do.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The article is pretty interesting. Kinda makes it sound like Eley out engineers NASA.

I'm sure there's some puffery involved, but it does show there is some very consistent rim fire available. Just at a price that's roughly quadruple what bulk ammo goes for.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The frustrating thing about 22 ammo is that you can find some stuff that shoots GREAT through your favorite rifle, only to find that the next box (different lot #) of the "same" thing is nowhere near as good. If you do happen to find a particular ammo that shoots well from your rifle, buy a bunch of it with the exact same lot number and you'll be set for a while.

The cool thing about reloading is that you can generally do the same thing by figuring out which components shoot well and then stock up enough of those to last for a LONG time.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lotta folks looking for accuracy compromise with CCI Standard Velocity. It isn't Eley, but often will fill needs at a reasonable price.

Standard velocity loading's will often stay more consistent. Nearly all 22LR branded as "target" will be standard velocity, with plane lead bullets.

If you watch/subscribe to the adds from Brownells, Midway and others, you can catch CCI SV at less than $.05 per on occasion.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    That's what I found out. Quality 22 comes at a huge price. Can crank out 9mm for next to nothing on my progressive or my 17 is pretty reasonable when on sale. Sucks but 22lr is dead to me. Shame I used to shoot it by the bushel.

Just found a brick of aquilla under my bench if someone wants to trade me something for it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I got rid of about 4K rounds of MiniMag 40gr on here a year or so ago because I didn't have a rifle that really liked it.
    I bought a Ruger American Rimfire .22lr that loves the stuff. Thankfully I kept back about 5K of them. I love a bolt action .22. Saves me a lot of ammo compared to the Browning semi or 10/22s.
    Standard off the shelf bulk ammo doesn't seem to be of high quality like the old stuff.
    I've got about 11K of Winchester Wildcat that shoots excellent. It's at least 20yrs old IF I had to guess.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I went to the range today and took my Remington 597. I wanted to finish off one bulk pack and start a new one. I was shocked at the difference from POA to POI from two different manufactures, Winchester and Federal. Both 36g HP rated at 1260fps.
    It's quite well known that 22LR is very finicky even in good firearms. For the recent DNR Youth shooting day I had to sight in a couple Anschutz match rifles. The difference between CCI SV vs Blazer was almost 2". I realize one is sub and one is super-sonic but that's still a fair bit at 50 yards.

The frustrating thing about 22 ammo is that you can find some stuff that shoots GREAT through your favorite rifle, only to find that the next box (different lot #) of the "same" thing is nowhere near as good. If you do happen to find a particular ammo that shoots well from your rifle, buy a bunch of it with the exact same lot number and you'll be set for a while.
    This is indeed what Olympians do - test lots of the best there is and buy up what shoots best in your rifle. Since we were a whole team and only shot 50' reduced targets it wasn't much of an issue, but I would test all the lots we had when I had to compete in an outdoor match (50 yds or M). It's really amazing how much it matters and how secretive the manufacturers are. I toured the RWS plant but we weren't allowed to see the really high-end stuff being made.

hoot gibson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    SW Indiana
    Acquired a whole lot of Win T22 many years ago & it has proven, for me, to be the works fine in almost everything ammo. Even cycles in most semi handguns & rifles I've had.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

Ah but 1260fps out of what? semi or bolt gun? what barrel length? what condition barrel? What I'm getting at is what if one uses a semi-auto .22 with a 20" barrel and the other uses a test fixture with a 12" barrel? What if one uses a pistol-length barrel? I know there are usuallys and best cases but there's no standard. best bet is to measure them both from your gun.

Agreed with everything else said here.

Top Bottom